Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi my name is Liz and I had my surgery back in 2006. And to be completely honest with you, I've regretted it ever since.the sleeve wasn't available at the time so I don't know what can be done. Let me start from the beginning. I was 5'6 310lbs diabetes, high blood pressure. Cholesterol thyroid, you name it I had it. Then I was approved for the surgery, and so thrilled. In the beginning it was great, I was losing weight feeling healthy and I was back in shape better than ever. Then I started to notice something, I was eating more than usual and wasn't gaining any weight. I didn't think anything of it at first but the weight just started falling off of me like crazy. It wasn't until last year when I lost over 60lbs in 4 months.i spent the whole summer in and out of hospitals. And not one doctor could tell me what was wrong with me. They still can't.losing the weight is out of control now, I can't stop it even if I wanted to. I got rid of a whole list of things but ended up with a whole new list of problems. I'm on every Vitamin known to man, I have a hard time keeping food down and the pain is unbearable!!!!!! Had I'd known about all these side affects I would've thought twice about having it. CAN ANYONE GIVE ME ANY ANSWERS!!!!!! I've been given every test and blood test known to man. I live in Michigan and have been to 3 different hospitals and still no answers. If anyone out there can help me please I need a doctor who knows about all the side affects. After 14 yrs I didn't aspect anymore side affects. Please anyone!!!!!!!

I have no answers for you, only prayers. How long ago did your complications start? I haven't seen someone on this site yet who truly regretted it everyday.

<p>I have no answers for you, only prayers. How long ago did your complications start? I haven't seen someone on this site yet who truly regretted it everyday.</p>

My problems started about 2 yrs ago but I really started to spiral downward last April

I have no answers for you, only prayers. How long ago did your complications start? I haven't seen someone on this site yet who truly regretted it everyday.

My problems started about 2 yrs ago but I really started to spiral downward last April
They told me I would have to be on TPN bags for my nutrients & go home with a home care nurse but my gastric doctor was against it due to the damage it would do to my kidneys after time. I'm at my wits end and I'm reaching out to anyone who might know anything!!!!!

Hi Liz

What type of surgery did you have? Since this thread was posted under gastric bypass, was it a Roux-en-Y? Was it done laparoscopically. You mentioned pain. Was this pain associated with eating? Where was the pain located?

Jim

Yes it was the Y and it was done thru 4 incisions in my stomach. Yes severe pain after I eat or when I eat and my stomach still feels empty. The sleeve wasn't available in 2006.

Yes it was the Y and it was done thru 4 incisions in my stomach. Yes severe pain after I eat or when I eat and my stomach still feels empty. The sleeve wasn't available in 2006.

I can eat a full meal and not hold it down sometimes. It would come up on me or go straight thru me.

Its interesting that you described your operation as a "Y". I had a friend in California who had weight loss surgery 22 years ago in 1992. I talked to him about the surgery and found out that it was substantially different than the Roux-en-Y operation that I underwent. It seemed like they cut away part of his intestines. He described his surgery as a Y-bypass. The operation was fairly successful. He lost a lot of weight and maintained the weight loss for decades. The last time I talked to him, a few months ago, he was worried because he unexpectedly dropped around 30 pounds for no unexplained reason. He was going to make a trip to see his doctor and find out what was going wrong.

That's exactly what happened to me. What scares me the most is that we have no control over how much weight we lose. My bottom low is 96lbs so I'm deathly afraid and the fact that my doctors can't explain any of it. All they've been telling me is now they rare finding out the seriousness of the kind of bypass I had. I used to work at Rush St Luke's Medical center and I still have a friend there. She talked to the director dr of gastric bypass and referred me to him. He agreed to see me. Hopefully he'll give me some answers. Cause all they tell me here is that the surgery has to be reversed when it can't

I have read about the surgery being reversed under extreme circumstances. It requires a surgeon with a very special skill set. Not just any bariatric surgeon. Have you looked into this possibility? Or are you trying to exercise every other avenue? (Which I totally don't blame you for doing)

There are a couple of surgeons whose names get tossed around when it comes to reversals. One is Dr. Elliot Goodman in NYC at Beth Israel Hospital. I don't know if any of your docs have done exploratory surgery just to get a firsthand look at things. Sometimes they rely to much on imaging and the radiology report. If you have insurance I would ask if you can be assigned a patient advocate in hopes they can move things along. The reversal is not an easy surgery and carries a lot of risk as well. I'm so sorry for your suffering...you are in my thoughts.

Hi Liz

I will talk to my friend in California and ask him to join this thread. See if he is experiencing the same problems as you.

I need to ask one more question. What is your age?

My mom is 85 years old and I take her to see her doctors. She never had bariatric surgery. I have come to learn (from her doctor) that the human body undergoes major physiological changes as we age especially around the age of 85. She only takes about half the dose of medicine to treat her diabetes and high blood pressure than she did a few years ago. It also affects weight gain because she is not absorbing nutrition like she did before.

So I was wondering if the conditions you have encountered may be related to aging. Maybe the effects of aging is amplified by the surgery.

In looking at the following reference:

http://consultgerirn.org/topics/age_related_changes/want_to_know_more/

under the heading Age-Associated Changes in the Oropharyngeal and Gastrointestinal Systems there are two effects of aging identified of interest:

* Malabsorption of carbohydrates, Vitamins B12 and D, folic acid, Calcium.

* Decreased metabolism of drugs.

and then under implications:

* Risk of chewing impairment, fluid/electrolyte imbalances, poor nutrition.

* Gastric changes: altered drug absorption, increased risk of GERD, maldigestion, NSAID-induced ulcers.

This might explain some of your symptoms.

@@angelface thank you for your advice. I have asked around I used to work in a hospital in Chicago ( Rush St Luke's ) and my friend who still there did some research for me and was able to get me in to see the director of bariatrics to see me. So I have to go home to find answers. Again thank you for your help & prayers as they are much needed. ; )