Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Submitted and playing the waiting game!

Well, I received an email from my surgeon's office late yesterday afternoon that they have submitted my paperwork to insurance. I am so anxious to get my approval....I've already completed all my requirements, and once the verdict is in I'll have one more meeting with surgeon to set date, and one more meeting with nut to get pre-op instructions and then I'm on my way!!!

I'm so ready for this. I've been doing tons of research, sampling different Protein powders and shakes. I have three family members who have had successful WLS and my very best friend in the world had it last fall. She's doing great! I'm know that I'm super lucky to have the support and experience of loved ones who've gone before me. It's also nice to have this forum to share with and get advice and support. You all are super encouraging.

Anyway, fingers crossed that I get a quick response from insurance. I reviewed their WLS policy, and I don't see any reason why I won't be approved as I meet all the requirements. A coworker with the same plan had the same surgery 6 weeks ago, so our policy doesn't have the exclusion either. Man, I'm just so ready to get this show on the road! I wanna get the pre-op and early post-op behind me already (can you tell I have a problem with patience)!! ;)

Oh no! I got email from nurse that insurance wants "more info". I don't know what that means, but she said she'll have to get the surgeon to finish his office notes when he returns to office next week and submit those to insurance along with a letter from my PCP. She said since my BMI is just at 40 and I don't have any co-morbidities diagnosed that she thought this might happen So bummed. I really wanted this to go through quickly and I thought I had it. :(

Hang in there. I think the request for "more info" is way way more promising than an outright denial! Keep us posted!

The "more info" was sent on Monday, 6/2. I couldn't wait, so I just called the insurance company to check status and.....I'm APPROVED!!! Yay!!

I called the surgeon's office and they didn't know yet. Apparently the insurance company MAILED the letter and didn't bother to call. Anyway, they're going to check the schedule and see when the can get me in. Right now they're looking at July 15th, but the nurse is going to see if there's any possibility of doing it before 7/4!!! Woo-Hoo!!

Good luck to you as this all becomes for real !

This gives me hope.

Congratulations!

JCsMamaBear, you just expressed what I've been experiencing. I've finished all evaluations and playing the waiting game. It took 3 weeks to get an approval letter from my insurance company. When I called my doctor's office, they said it was just a letter approving that I was a candidate for WLS. They said now I have to wait for a letter actually approving of the procedure. It's sort of frustrating because it's causing me to rearrange summer plans, kids schedule, etc., but my husband said that this isn't a process that we want to rush so let's just make sure that everything is done right. In the meantime, I see shows like the new season of Extreme Weight Loss and think-- okay, can I do that? Do I really need surgery? Then I'm reminded that that is TV and I don't have Chris Howell working with me. Good luck to you!