Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 28-31st Sleeve Week!

Don't stress so much about BM. Over the next month you will take in so little food, 2-3 days will be a normal BM time - in fact since we will forever take in about 1/3 to 1/4 the food we took in before, expect your BM to be that spread out also. Anyone else fascinated with your barium xray?? I wonder if our sleeves look totally different or similar. Anyone up for show and tell?? (maybe I'm a little bored in the hospital room :P Leave tomorrow a.m.

I would totally show mine if I had one. Dr did my leak test during surgery.

We had 3 total leak tests. Dude takes no risks. lol

hmmm how to attach a pic??

I see my surgeon for a follow up Friday. I'm def going to ask for confirmation on the leak test. I need to see evidence.

I was the 28th and did the swallow test on the 29th. You would think that they would be able to make that stuff better tasting. Mine looked like thick apple juice but tasted like what I imagine paint thinner tastes like. It was AWFUL. Thank goodness he let me chase it with some Water. Started BM's that day also; although more liquid but at least it started soon. I heard walking helps. I almost feel lucky as I read others' posts about their pain and problems. It's been pretty smooth sailing for me. The gas in the shoulders isn't fun and I am trying to keep up with my 4oz of liquid per hour. Surgeon follow up on Tuesday so no Vitamins til then. Can't wait to see what he says is the next step. Glad I am off of work this week as well. I may have a desk job but the thought of an 8+ hour work day just yet is NOT my idea of a good time. Hopefully the weather will cooperate this week so I can do some walking outside. I hope everything is getting better for you all. This forum has been pretty amazing!!

Never got a pic of my xray but I watched the liquids go through my stomach on the tv. I did however get a pic of the part of my stomach they removed. What amazing things they can do with Divinci! I showed it off like it was a new baby pic lmao Had a bm day 3 and have everyday since though nothing like before.

Sleeved on the 29th and on the 30th I was miserable with stitches pain, nausea, general discomfort and feeling that anything I swallowed would come back up. I seriously questioned my sanity and why I had volunteered for this condition. On Sat I felt a little better and when they sent me home I took my percocet and tried to get all of my Water in. My Protein drink is lagging and im only getting 2 ounces in at a time so I'll try to do more tomorrow.

I slept better last night than I thought I would. I was mostly on my side but tipped forward with a spare pillow supporting my stomach area. I was so glad to be back in my own bed and sleeping all night without bp checks. This morning I got up and showered and we went to church and I never imagined I'd be feeling well enough to be out so soon. Ive been taking walks around the block but today I added walking at church, rest and Protein Drink at lunch, then went shopping in a couple of stores. I got tired and getting in and out of the car is slow going but I got in several steps so that's good.

I think I'm the only one who didn't do a leak test, or at least none when I was awake. Im getting Vitamins in but find the gummies easier than the harder chewable. I don't like anything too sweet right now.

Personal victory moment: yesterday my husband grilled and made dinner for oldest daughter and her kids. He grilled pork chops, cut up a watermelon, and put together some side dishes. It all smelled and looked really good but I had no hunger pains and no desire to eat any of it. I love having no hunger pains, ever! No food appeals to me right now and my life is liquids!

Found a new, wonderful water; watermelon flavored Hint Water. Just a bit of watermelon flavor but not overwhelming and not sweet so tastes better to me. Im planning to ride this liquid stage longer than they recommended since it isn't as hard as I thought it would be so I'm not going to rush foods.

I haven't weighed yet and will probably check weight once a week so I don't make myself crazy with little daily ups and downs.

So glad you all are on here too so we can compare notes and encourage each other. The day after surgery I was clinging to my docs reassurance that it would get better.

I

So glad you are feeling better laurie! You sure sounded aweful before :(

Great NSV on the little bbq! Makes me wonder if smashed up watermeelon is ok for the pureed stage?? I still have 18 days until then, but I bet the watermelon would be lovely.

The docs typically soak the new stomach in Water inside the abdomen and check for bubbles that would be leaks. The next day they should at least do a barium swallow so you can see your new stomach. My doc did it for confirmation of leaks but he also wanted us to see how the new stomach worked. I'll attach a picture. The reason you should get a copy now is so that in 6 months you can get another barium test to see how your sleeve has healed and if they missed parts that are now stretching (which obviously can lead to regain). I didn't think the barium was aweful - mine was more like a strawberry and cream Protein drink. Just one big gulp.

However my doc also had us do a blue dye test. which is a much thinner liquid (water) than the barium test. This allows even the smallest leaks not to go un noticed as any leak in the stomach would come out in the drain that is placed by the new sleeve. THAT stuff was disgusting. And probably TMI, but I'm still peeing blue! LOL

Here is my pretty new sleeve :)

Sleee Jess

Edited by lylabelle

Hi guys !! I got sleeved on 31 had a henious hernia too so that caused a lot of chest pain... The pain between the shoulder blades was awful too - I have my stomach in a jar isn't that gross ? Still have gas pain on liquids will be for 2 weeks dr said they don't do leak tests here is that weird

Well, after being cut on the 28th, I'm home now! I was discharged yesterday and I feel pretty good. Incisions still suck, but I'm able to get in all my liquids and I can do purees. I'm getting way sick of Protein drinks though; some other people mentioned being fed up with sweet stuff, and I hear that! All I want is something savory. My last day in the hospital they gave me mashed potatoes and it was truly awesome. Of course, that's not the sort of thing I'll be making for myself at home, but it was nice!

And @@hrhlaurie, you're not the only one who didn't get a leak test. My surgeon said he does the one while before they stitch you up, but doesn't do a swallow test because of the two leaks he's ever seen, one happened too soon to be caught by the test and the other happened too late, so he just doesn't see the point. Fair enough I guess. I mean, I wouldn't have minded doing one, but I trust his judgement, and since I'm feeling so good (relatively speaking), I think I'll know if something is wrong.

I also had my first BM today (yay for bathroom talk!). It was teeny tiny, which doesn't surprise me, since I've eaten probably less than 1/4 cup of actual food since Tuesday.

But today all I want is something savory and not made from instant powders like at the hospital! So, I'm gonna make some black bean Soup and puree it, then mix in some pumpkin seed Protein, and instead of sour cream I'll do a dollop of quark (something common here in Germany that is sort of like Greek Yogurt, and tend to be eaten on potatoes; also very high in protein and low in fat). My surgeon said for now I can eat about three tablespoons at once, so I'll just freeze the rest in ice cube trays, and I should be set for food for a while, even if I half the recipe. I'm gonna save a bundle on food!

Guys did anyone get injections to give themselves at home

I only had Heparin injections twice a day while in the hospital. No injections at home.

Yeah, I had one a day at the hospital, but none at home. I think as long as your recovery is going well enough for you to be going about something resembling a normal routine and you're getting all your Water, you don't need to worry too much about thrombosis.

I got given hibor injections to give self and kiddi Syrup and omizac capsules which I break and just eat the granules