Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

diabetic bandsters

My surgery is scheduled for 2 weeks from today. I received a phone call from my PCP today and was told that I am diabetic and will be going for additional lab work and starting on insulin tomorrow. (apparently, I will be skipping over the oral meds and going directly to the insulin.) I am so upset that I have allowed myself to get to this point! Those of you out there who are diabetic - has the band (&resulting wt loss) helped you to get off of insulin or reverse the diabetes?

Hi Susie,

I was diagnosed with diabetes over 25 years ago when I was 22 and was also put on insulin immediately. That is to protect your health ans the insulin will work immediately to bring your blood sugars into normal range. I then started to lose weight and went to oral meds, but not ever got off them. I lost 95 lbs. I of course put back the weight over the years. I continued on the orals but 10 years ago when I wanted to get pregnant I had to go on insulin because you can not take those meds when trying to conceive or pregnant. Well, I nevef went off insulin after that.

I have not yet been banded, but I am hoping that this time when I reach my goal I will be able to go back on the orals. If not - no big deal. I am very used to taking insulin and monitoring my blood sugars.

You may be able to go off meds, but it is likely that at some point in your life (when you are older) you will have to go back on or take insulin. I know this not what you want to hear but diabetes just does not go away like that. You will always be insulin resistant and will always have to be vigilant. You are doing the BEST THING for your health by getting banded and losing weight. People don't die of diabetes, they die of complications from diabetes which can be avoided with good blood sugar control.

Don't panic, get as much information as you can. Feel free to PM me anytime. I will be glad to help as I have walked in your shoes.

Susan

Susie,

I, too, was diagnosed with diabetes during my pre-op testing. My PCP decided that since I was having the lap band surgery, to wait and see how my new eating habits coupled with regular exercise and weight loss would affect my blood sugar, rather than start me on meds.

He hooked me up with a dietician who educated herself about the lapband, and she hooked me up with a glucose meter, and advised me about what to look for in high and low blood sugar. So far my blood sugar is mostly normal with a few spikes. The highest spike is 180, and the average spike is around 130. Which they were both happy with, so far, and I'm scheduled to have my A1C tested again in a few weeks. I'm confident that I won't need meds to control my blood sugar.

I don't know how high your blood sugar has been, and your doctor might be doing the very best thing for you. Talk to your doctor about it, ask lots of questions, and educate yourself about it. Knowledge is power. Here's a great website to get you started. www.diabetes.org

Good luck, and keep us posted! Feel free to PM me if you want.

I was on insulin twice daily for 15 years preBand.... 100 units twice a day, plus orals.....

I have been totally OFF all shots for a year, and 'pretty much' for 18 months....each day is a blessing....

Off CPAP also....

I love my Band.....

Nothing new to add ,good to see you back Jack terryr

My surgery is scheduled for 2 weeks from today. I received a phone call from my PCP today and was told that I am diabetic and will be going for additional lab work and starting on insulin tomorrow. (apparently, I will be skipping over the oral meds and going directly to the insulin.) I am so upset that I have allowed myself to get to this point! Those of you out there who are diabetic - has the band (&resulting wt loss) helped you to get off of insulin or reverse the diabetes?

I was diagnosed 10 years ago. Tried dieting intitialy eventually had to go on oral meds, tried one made me nauseated. Then I went on another and was okay for awhile and then started getting nauseated every day for 2 years until I could not get the script filled and the nausea went away. I was then put on insulin in '05. I was taking hemalog before each meal and then 65 units Lantus in the evenings. My A1C in Jan before my surgery was 5.7 (non diabetic). At that time my PCP took me off the hemalog since I was going to be banded and I continued my Lantus. I just had my A1C checked again and it was 6.3 not bad. I figure I will eventually be off the insulin all together.

Also if I had to do it all over again I probably would have wanted to start off with the insulin verses the medications, not because they made me sick but because insulin is more natural for the body. I was told by a couple of Doctors that insulin was better because the longer you are on the oral medications the more your body/pancreas come to rely on them andeventually you wind up on insulin and would not be able to come off the insulin no matter what. Whether they told me this as scare factor or not I have done much better with the insulin.

Good Luck to you and hopefully you will not need to be on the insulin long.

I too was diagnosed with diabetes as a result of my pre-op labwork. I was referred to an endocrinologist. He and my lap band surgeon agreed to try me on a small dose of oral meds once a day with the expectation that I would not need it very long due to my upcoming lap band surgery. I was also given meter to take my blood sugar levels twice per day. My levels have been very good. My blood sugar prior to surgery had spiked to over 300 and it further spiked during surgery and I had to be given a couple of insulin injections during surgery and overnight. I have been following dietary requirements according to surgery and have an appointment with dietician at endocrinologist office next week to further "tweek" my diet. Next month I go back and get 3 month blood work. Hopefully I will be able to discontinue medication soon. I was very disappointed with myself as well but I had honestly been living in denial. My dad has been diabetic for 20+ years and both of his parents, brother and sister are too. At 300 pounds and that strong of a family history, I should not have been surprised. The reason why I wanted the band was to intervene with any future phyical problems as I got older not knowing that I already was walking around with one. I look at it now as a blessing because I found out before something bad happened and it gives me more motivation to do the right thing.