Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Supplements

alrighty thanks!

I thought it was only with RNY that patients didnt absorb all they needed

Is it because of the lowered nutritional intake that we need to take Multivitamins? Because we absorb the same way.

Also, how do you take the Multivitamins? ? chewables, liquid, crush some that are whole? What brand is your favorite.

Also i was hearing people talk about benefibre, is it important to take that? Does it do good?

alrighty thanks!

I thought it was only with RNY that patients didnt absorb all they needed

Is it because of the lowered nutritional intake that we need to take multivitamins? Because we absorb the same way.

Also, how do you take the multivitamins?? chewables, liquid, crush some that are whole? What brand is your favorite.

Also i was hearing people talk about benefibre, is it important to take that? Does it do good?

We absorb everything but we are so limited in quantity of food most docs suggest taking a multivitamin daily.

I use Centrum adult chewables. They come in orange and berry flavor. Yumm... your post reminded me to take my Vitamin and I actually counted that I have 14 left so I can get berry in two weeks! LOL Don't get liquid and don't crush them, both are just gross. I mean really gross. You won't take them, you'll put it off until you forget it.

Benefiber... I swear I poop every two weeks. Pooping is a challenge. When I take Fiber I stay full longer and I poop. If I don't take it I don't poop and I'm hungry. I vote for fiber!

THANKS A LOT for your input!! thats why i love this forum so much, people who have gone through it can tell you from personal experience...plus from posts i know you're a nurse, so thats great too!

So yeah, i will be taking benefibre and i dunno if i will like the adult chewables, i usually don't like flavored stuff that is supposed to be good. Aka Flinstones..never liked them, or cherry cough Syrup or all that stuff...oh well just like a lot of things i will have to do for the band...suck it up even if it sucks (i.e. pre-op diet...which i am SOOO not looking forward to lol)

As per the benefibre, do you just take the normal dose or what....like 1 teaspoon 3 times a day or what. ( i don't know if thats a dose...just giving random number)

THANKS A LOT for your input!! thats why i love this forum so much, people who have gone through it can tell you from personal experience...plus from posts i know you're a nurse, so thats great too!

So yeah, i will be taking benefibre and i dunno if i will like the adult chewables, i usually don't like flavored stuff that is supposed to be good. Aka Flinstones..never liked them, or cherry cough Syrup or all that stuff...oh well just like a lot of things i will have to do for the band...suck it up even if it sucks (i.e. pre-op diet...which i am SOOO not looking forward to lol)

Please, don't even try liquid Vitamins. They are seriously disgusting. They even stink. You might be able to do it for a short time but long term? I don't know anyone that has.

You might be able to find a very small multivitamin tablet and instead of crushing it you could break it in small pieces. That would be doable. My thinking is that I don't want to see you get so grossed out over a Vitamin that you get to the point that you don't want to take one ever again or you are disgusted with the thought of a Vitamin. You really should take a quality multivitamin. We don't need what bypass patients require such as a fistfull of pills daily. But a simple (yet quality) vitamin really is a good idea.

What does your pre-op diet consist of?

But to you which flavor is better of the 2? I will probably buy it.

I've only tried the orange. That's why I was thrilled that next time I can try berry. LOL

Some like Flinstones but you have to take two daily and that can get more expensive than necessary. But it's personal choice.

Some like Centrum Silver for old folks. I'm just guessing that they have more zinc than regular Centrum but that's just a guess. I haven't looked.

Zinc is not always great for men. Ummm... how do I say this in polite company, zinc can make men want to see more of women. Is that a nice way to say it? :)

As per the benefibre, do you just take the normal dose or what....like 1 teaspoon 3 times a day or what. ( i don't know if thats a dose...just giving random number)

The most common sense advice I have seen regarding Fiber is that typically it is nice to get about 4gms of fiber per 100 calories consumed. To say that we all need 40gms of fiber daily... OMG! I don't think we consume enough food to get that much fiber in! But 4gms per 100 calories is pretty good.

Oh, and this is my pre- op

For me its 10 days

*quantities are not specified, you can have as much as you need of the following items. You may also have foods that have negligible caloric or nutritional value such as the following: coffee, tea, diet drinks(crystal light), sugar free jell-o and salt & spices.

This is the diet

Cottage cheese

-choose low fat or non fat varieties

Yogurt

-Opt for low fat or non fat yogurt. Flavored yogurts are acceptable, as long as they are artificially sweetened

Milk

-Drink 1% or Skim, flavored or sweetened milk is NOT a recommended option

Water

-make sure you drink a minimum of 1.5 liters a day.

How would you rate orange? And what about fibre how much do you take?

I have metamucil. DON'T get that!!!!! It turns into a gel that will get stuck in your band. I wait until I have about 3oz of Water in a water bottle and just dump some in then guzzle quickly. Then I guzzle plain water as best as I can. Not a great way to measure!

Next time I'll be buying Benefiber, it doesn't gel up the way Metamucil does. I've had it stuck before and PBing gelled Metamucil is horrible. Just awful and painful. And it takes forever to barf up. NOT GOOD!

The orange is good, it tastes like a Vit C tablet. Not my favorite but certainly workable.

yeah i hear only great things about benefibre... i mean its colorless, odorless, tasteless...how can you go wrong lol. And yeah...metamucil sounds gross. I dont think im ever buying that

Oh, and this is my pre- op

For me its 10 days

*quantities are not specified, you can have as much as you need of the following items. You may also have foods that have negligible caloric or nutritional value such as the following: coffee, tea, diet drinks(crystal light), sugar free jell-o and salt & spices.

This is the diet

Cottage cheese

-choose low fat or non fat varieties

Yogurt

-Opt for low fat or non fat yogurt. Flavored yogurts are acceptable, as long as they are artificially sweetened

Milk

-Drink 1% or Skim, flavored or sweetened milk is NOT a recommended option

Water

-make sure you drink a minimum of 1.5 liters a day.

Wow.

Just a suggestion but you might ask your doc why this diet vs. a low fat, low carb, reasonable Protein diet. The idea is to shrink your liver before surgery. A grilled chicken breast and low carb salad will do the same as your diet but it is easier to do. I would push your doc and ask why cottage cheese and yogurt.

I really don't understand why docs do this. Same with Optifast. What's the use unless it is the doc selling OptiFast and making a profit from it. The idea is to shrink your liver and there are equally effective ways to do that without sucking down cottage cheese and yogurt.

If you are okay with those two foods, kewl Beans. If you think you will fail, ask why THOSE two foods are the only ones he will approve.