Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello! I'm 2 weeks out and I need clarification. I've been reading only 2 ounces of Protein but then a dinner suggestion is having a turkey burger for dinner. Anyone have a correct amount to fill me up?

Thanks,

Jennifer

Hello! I'm 2 weeks out and I need clarification. I've been reading only 2 ounces of Protein but then a dinner suggestion is having a turkey burger for dinner. Anyone have a correct amount to fill me up?

Thanks,

Jennifer

Every plan seems to be very different, however I think you may be getting Protein and food amount mixed up. At two weeks I could have about 2 ounces of soft food per meal. My daily intake of protein was between 40 and 50 grams a day. Check with you clinic, but two ounces of protein at a meal seems VERY low. I am approaching 11 months out, and am just now able to eat an entire Turkey burger.

Your meal plan is probably dependent on the type of surgery and the directions from your doctor and nutritionist. Since you are posting under the gastric bypass surgery section, I would assume you had a Roux-en-y bypass. The direction I received when I had that surgery was:

First 4 weeks - full liquids

Weeks 5-8 pureed foods

Weeks 9+ solid meals

I would suspect that trying to eat a turkey burger at two weeks out will be extremely hard on your new stomach.

In the full liquid menu for Protein, recommended sources are yogurt (plain, no fruit variety), low fat cottage cheese, low fat cheese, Beans (refried, pinto, navy, kidney, lentils, great northern.)

A separate requirement is Protein supplement. This begins on day five following surgery and after you are passing gas regularly. This requirement is 75 to 90 grams of protein per day. This requirement is different that the volume limitations on the meal plan. Generally in the early stages most individuals meet this requirement by drinking Protein shakes.

Your meal plan is probably dependent on the type of surgery and the directions from your doctor and nutritionist. Since you are posting under the gastric bypass surgery section, I would assume you had a Roux-en-y bypass. The direction I received when I had that surgery was:

First 4 weeks - full liquids

Weeks 5-8 pureed foods

Weeks 9+ solid meals

I would suspect that trying to eat a turkey burger at two weeks out will be extremely hard on your new stomach.

In the full liquid menu for Protein, recommended sources are yogurt (plain, no fruit variety), low fat cottage cheese, low fat cheese, Beans (refried, pinto, navy, kidney, lentils, great northern.)

A separate requirement is Protein supplement. This begins on day five following surgery and after you are passing gas regularly. This requirement is 75 to 90 grams of protein per day. This requirement is different that the volume limitations on the meal plan. Generally in the early stages most individuals meet this requirement by drinking protein shakes.

And this would be an example of how very different eating plans are between clinics. I also had the Roux-en-y and I live in Minnesota. The test to be able to leave the hospital was to be able to drink a Protein shake without issue (a sip at a time over several hours). I went home on full liquids for one week. Weeks two and three were soft / pureed foods. At week four I graduated to a regular soft diet. Portions were very limited for the first three months. Only 3 tablespoons of protein and 1 tablespoon of a fruit,vegetable or starch. Up to six months my protein intake was under 60 grams per day. It then slowly increased to where I am today, 80 - 90 grams per day. I should now be eating about 1 cup of food at each meal. I will be one year post op on June 25th.

Call your clinic tomorrow for clarification. They should be able to explain the rules of YOUR plan.

Carol

Hello! I'm 2 weeks out and I need clarification. I've been reading only 2 ounces of Protein but then a dinner suggestion is having a turkey burger for dinner. Anyone have a correct amount to fill me up? Thanks, Jennifer

Yes Punkin , please check with your NUT! I am 2weeks out today and am expected to attempt 45-50 gms of protein each day. I have been on liquids and today I can start trying a tablespoon or two of semi soft food( preferably high in protein )as well . Cottage cheese, yogurt , or scrambled egg. After by pass you want to be careful not to stretch your pouch and you want to avoid dumping. As you can see from all the responses , every follows a different regime. It's very important at this time to follow up with your NUT!