Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight gain predisposition because of WLS?

I wrote this question in the veterans forum only to find I do not have enough posts to post in the Veterans Forum! So I hope a veteran can help me out here....

Ok, I get it....i think....Is regain more of a probabilty or just a possibility? I am 3 months post surgery and lurking in the Veterans Forum searching for any scrap of information and inspiration that will help me in this fight for life. (Down 40 lbs, so far)

My question is this: After weight loss surgery, does 3500 calories still equal a 1-pound weight gain? Or do we gain weight more easily, like looking at a chocolate bar equals a three pound gain!? I understand salt impacts Water weight. I get that once started down the slippery slope of one bad choice, it is tough to stop. But scientifically (?), why do we put on weight so easily?

Am I doomed to some sort of a new physical curse whereby 500 extra calories equals a pound gained?

I don't think WLS causes us to gain weight, pretty sure we already had that problem! I think we are each individual, and I don't think it's ever as simple as 3500 calories = 1 pound. I've learned over the course of my weight loss that I need to eat around 800 calories a day to lose weight, and I can maintain at somewhere around 1100-1200. Before I had surgery, I couldn't get below 1400 calories intake a day without being miserable, so now I know why I couldn't lose weight. You'll need to find your personal sweet spot.

As far as the slippery slope, you'll need to figure that one out for yourself. For me, I have to watch what I eat and count every calorie. If I had to pick the number one reason I've been successful, it is that I count every single calorie. I force myself to be honest about what I'm eating and drinking. I don't consume any calories that I don't write down, Sometime I consume more than I want to, and seeing it in writing is a big reality check for me. Without that, I have no compass.

My sleeve is a tool that helps keep me from going off the rails. I will get full before I can do too much damage. Hunger is much decreased, and so in that way, I'm much more "normal", though I do get hungry. I still have to fight bad habits, though. I tend to be a grazer by nature, which can be the kiss of death for success with a sleeve. Grazing makes it possible to consume thousands of calories without restriction.

I don't think I'm doomed. I think I've been given a gift that gives me a fighting chance that I didn't have without surgery. It's what I do with it that determines my success.

Okay Michiganchik, thanks. So if you exceed your 1000-1100 calorie maintenance, then you gain weight? I was so hoping this was not true, but alas, I am doomed! Lol!

The math remains the same. 3500 equals 1 lbs gain or loss. I think the answer you are looking for is, for example one weights 300 lbs it takes approx 3000 calories a day to maintain that weight. As one looses weight the amount of calories to maintain also decreases. When you down to 200 lbs it will take about 2200 calories. The amount of calories needed is also dependent on other factors such as exercise.

Par1959...i love you!! So if I want to weigh 150, I should figure how many calories it takes to maintain that number, based on my metabolism, exercise, and consumption. And as long as I stick to that formula, I should not regain?? I know it is not quite that simple but that means I am not subject to some perverse law of physics caused by WLS, cursing me to a higher than normal predisposition to regain??

The math remains the same. 3500 equals 1 lbs gain or loss. I think the answer you are looking for is, for example one weights 300 lbs it takes approx 3000 calories a day to maintain that weight. As one looses weight the amount of calories to maintain also decreases. When you down to 200 lbs it will take about 2200 calories. The amount of calories needed is also dependent on other factors such as exercise.

THIS!!!

It is possible to get your Resting Metabolic Rate tested - my partner and I were able to do this (for a fee) through our gym. This helped us really see how our activity makes a difference. :)