Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone,

I am 4 days post-op from having a Gastric Sleeve. The decision to go for the sleeve was a very easy one, "the band was completely awful"! I was originally banded in May 2012, the band slipped & adhered itself to my liver in around March 2013. I persisted with it for a few months (where I couldn't eat or drink anything without vomiting it back up) & eventually had it replaced in June 2013. There was no improvement in the pain I was experiencing or the reflux either, two weeks later, I had it removed completely. Although the weight loss was amazing - 40kg in 13 months, the constant battle with 'right amount of fluid' was a nightmare for me.

So I was flying solo for 10 months & it was so hard to keep the weight off. If I wasn't literally starving myself & exercising 14hrs a day, I was gaining weight. Then my gallbladder packed it in! I had been passing gallstones for a couples of years & they never bothered me until now. I was kept heavily sedated in hospital on Morphine, Ondansetron & diazepam for 11 days (due to long wait lists & surgeons being on holidays!). Finally got a ERCP & they perforated the Common Bile Duct , which lead to Peritonitis & then waited a further 2 days to have the gall bladder removed. After this saga, my poor body was hurting & just grabbed out at everything I ate & stored it as fat (in case it got starved again).

A trip back to my surgeon was booked & I was excited! It turns out that in the 11 months that I had no band, I gained all of my weight back & a bit extra (this was not good). Total weight gained: 43.8kg. My surgeon wanted me to get another band put in & I refused (there was no way I was going to re-live that painful reflux nightmare)! So a Bariatric Sleeve was booked.

Pre-surgery, and in particular, the week before my surgery date, I did not sleep, at all. I constantly had all the risk factors (that were discussed with my surgeon) running through my head 24hrs a day. Three days before my surgery, I actually thought that I was going to die in theatre, I proceeded to make a will!!

When surgery day finally arrived, I was still terrified of dying & leaving my husband & young daughter behind. When I was wheeled in to the Operating Room, my surgeon turned around & asked "how you doing?", all I could say was " please don't kill me", to which he replied "I'll make you a deal, if you don't die, I won't kill you". A few seconds later I was out.

To my relief, I actually woke up!! I am day 4 post-op now (only 1day at home from discharge), 4kg down & I haven't had any of the horrible pains associated with the laparoscopic surgery that I had in the past, even with having a lot of adhesions severed from my liver (due to lap band damage). My tummy is constantly grumbling & have some diarrhoea, but that is pretty much it. Compared to the band where I experienced port site pain, shoulder tip pain, immense pressure in my chest, Migraines & incision sites busting open, this last surgery/recovery has been a breeze so far :) I am able to drink a descent amount of Water (finally) & feeling pretty great! I do get tired & require an afternoon sleep, but it's early days.

That's my story so far :)

I visited my surgeon yesterday. Afraid that I made the wrong choice. I originally was going for the bypass. I discussed the surgery with the PA. She felt the sleeve may be a better choice because I have arthritis and take Nsaid for pain. I am concerned that I will have enough success with loss. Right now I am unable to exercise because of the pain. I was going for the bypass because I felt I would have better success because of the inability to move much. I hope I made the right choice. Please give me any info you have to reassure me.

Hi Shirley!

I can certainly empathise with you about making the right choice! I too take ALOT of medication for pain & nerve pain in particular. I was fully able to swallow all (8) of my tablets after the initial 'leak test' post-op day 1.

For me the sleeve was a safer option, less complications & because my husband & I wan't another baby, I didn't want to become severely malnourished. It also 'guides' your weight loss' where you do have to eat healthy & exercise for it to work for you. You still are quite restricted with a sleeve, as 80% of your stomach is removed. I can only have half a mouthful of Water per gulp & have to sip everything. I really don't feel hungry at all too, which is great!

But if you aren't happy with the surgery option, change it. It's important to go into surgery with a positive mind & wake up with a fresh new attitude. I can only say how I feel about it (which I do feel superbly about)' only you can know what is right for you :)

Hope that helps x

Thank you for reply. I guess I am still nervous about my inability to exercise. I cannot walk very far without pain and I worry about the ability to lose weight. I know with the weight loss that I should have less pain but I don't know if it is going to be enough. I am confident the diet will be manageable but if I cant take celebrex i am not sure how mobile iI will be. I know I am worrying to much but I only have one shot at this. I know when I did weight watchers I just stopped losing. I got so discouraged I figured I might as well give up. I can't thank you enough for responding so quickly and will keep you posted. I have just started the required testing. I have to do a colonoscopy and will have to stop my meds for a few days. I will see how I do. The arthritis is not going away so I have to be reasonable. God Bless

I to have severe arthritis in my knees. The 2 weeks before surgery without meds was diffuclt but after surgery I could walk without pain!. I am now 1 week post opt and my worst knee does not hurt. We all have different exprinces, be encouraged ,

I to have severe arthritis in my knees. The 2 weeks before surgery without meds was diffuclt but after surgery I could walk without pain!. I am now 1 week post opt and my worst knee does not hurt. We all have different exprinces, be encouraged ,

Thank you for your support and encouragement. I have made to decision to do the sleeve after I heard from my bariatric pals. I am pushing thru with all my preop testing. I can't thank everyone enough for the information and support. I will pray for you and your success. Hopefully we will have our life back.