Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Going back and forth with bariatric surgery....

Hello all!

I'm new to this so I would appreciate some honest opinions of the LapBand. Before I started dieting 20 years ago I was 120 pounds lighter. Each time I diet I do well and then gain it all back plus some more. I'm sick of it. I'm terrified to change my insides completely with a bypass, but I'm also worried that I won't be able to get anything past the band...I don't know anyone who has had the band and am really worried about the long term impact of it. Any words of wisdom are appreciated. I have appts at the two local hospitals that have this procedure, so I will be learning a lot about it very soon.

I am only 10 days post-op and I am already glad that I got the procedure. Like you I have lost large amounts in the past but I always gain it back. With the band I know that all my hard work at the gym will not be cancelled out by my weak moments of giving into food. I can honestly say it just feels like I am full much faster and I am just not as hungry. This is just a perfect tool to help be get & stay where I am comfortale. I think its the greatest! Good luck with whatever you decide.

I didn't like the idea of having my guts rearranged, either. The lap band is a more favorable solution on several levels. First, you don't get rearranged. Second, you are less likely to have problems down the road (additional surgeries, malnutrition, dumping syndrome, stretched pouch, etc).

Do both procedures assist with weight loss? Yes. I chose the lap band because the whole idea was to preserve my health, not add additional challenges. Many bypass folks will tell you all is well, but I know several people who have been back to the operating room within 2 years to correct complications.

Are they slimmer? Yes. Are they healthier? No.

Continue researching. Ask lots of questions.

Hi Boo...I'm with you I have lost a lot of weight but gained more. With each gain I am more heartbroken and frustrated. All the effort I put in only to see it wasted. I love what one of your replyers said about putting in effort at the gym and the band help us to be assured it's not all in vain. I felt like that too so often ...I would work almost daily for months and months then get hurt or just get distracted and gain it all back very quickly. At least with this "aid" you are assured you have some control and will invest more into weight loss and health...at least I think I will ! I have a long road to go tho if I want to be covered by insurance (cigna). I need a 6 mo doctor supervised diet which I'm starting on monday...then which I'm thinking I will gain even more after the 6months and then finally...be qualified!! :faint:

Moosictchr,

Welcome! Please check out all of the band vs. bypass threads in this forum before you go to see your doc. The lapband is the easiest to recover from (the actual surgery) and doesn't have all of the wierd long-term malabsorption complications of the bypass or RNY. Doctors like fast results, often at the cost of your overall health at times (except for band docs!) so don't be surprised if the consult you are seeking pushes for bypass or RNY.

The weight loss with the band is slow. 1-2 lbs/ week. Waiting for the numbers to drop gets boring, but it happens! The slow weight loss is so much healthier for you and leaves less hanging skin and you have less muscle waisting. Not to mention bone loss...

Good luck, and I hope you choose the band!

Good Morning Moosictcher,

I am scheduled for by band on June 7. Like all the posters, I feel that the Band is a tool and will help me keep the weight off! That is our biggest challenge. Most people who have dealt with weight for 20 years, like myself as well, now 48, I just could not walk in weight watchers one more time. I do beleive that ww is a tool as well, and their diet sense is good advice that I will use in my choices of food, it just did not give me the tools to maintain my weight, only gained and gained back more.

I researched the band over a year ago, but my bmi was less than it is today. I did not gain weight on purpose to etch up my bmi, I did that all on my own! I have a bmi of 36, however my insurance will cover it due to other health issues I have. I would have to look back at my dates, but I beleive my first inquiry to the surgical group I am going to may have been late January. So for Sooverit!, even if your insurance makes you go through a six month process, it took me that long anyway, with orientations, pshych eval, insurance approval and getting a date on their busy schedule. I think it is hard waiting, but I also think it makes you educate yourself more and be prepared. I read others who go and meet with a doctor and have it in a couple of weeks. That scares me a little bit, for this is a life commitment and you should be prepared.

So, all that said, hang in there to both Moo and Sooverit!

I too looked at the bypass, however through out the process, the people involved with my evaluation, said the band was more for me. I also know people who have had the bypass. One lady after three years now is having problems with low blood pressure, protien deficiency and may have to go into the hospital for a transfusion! Out of the three, only one looks healthy to me, the one with the less to lose.

Just one more question for Moosictchr, do you live in Moosic, PA?

Have a great Sunday,

Janine

I wish I lived in Moosic, PA - that would be so cool!!! I'm actually a music teacher who loves cows! :)

Thanks for all your comments everyone. I truly appreciate it!

Dear Janine: If you don't mind, may I ask what your other Health complications were with your 36 BMI that gave you the green light from your insurance company? I* know it's a matter of time before I get Adult Onset Diabetes as it runs in my family. I wish I could do this on my own but I can't. I came back from a Japanese Restaurant with my family and felt so incredilby stuffed and for good reason we love to eat sushi like there's no tomorrow. My husband runs everyday tho and my son is only 18 and my daughter is 10 but could lose some weight. I fear my eating habits wore off on her. I hope I don't miss being able to eat like this! thanks for reading this far

Hey Moosictchr I just want you to know that you are not alone with trying to make a decision like this. I as well have been battling the idea of 1) having major sugery and 2) Will this actually help me lose weight. I am still trying to decide if lapband is the best solution for you me......I have yet to decide. Hopefully you will make the best decision GOOD Luck!

Sooverit,

The surgeons sent me a letter prior to the orientation with all those that were interested in bypass or band. They request you look at the list if your BMI is under 40. My insurance agency states that you must have medical problems associated with obesity( which to me is most!) to be eligible if your BMI is under 40. The health issues I have are; shortness of breath, sleep apnea, asthma, thyroid,urinary incontinence, depression and heart disease. The heart disease was a bit of a stretch, for my blood pressure is fine. I had a heart rythem issue in November, actually in the mid of the night after Thanksgiving ( maybe that was the food!), I had to go tot he hospital. I was sleeping, and woke up feeling I was having a heart attack. All the tests showed nothing, which is good, but I am scared it will happen again! My surgeons also request a letter from you, stressing your life challenges related to weight ( mine sinc age 10). I beleive that letter went to the insurance agency as well.

I hope this helps. I was really concerned if I would be eligible. The Nurse I saw for my evaluation and the coordinator for the process gave me all good support, so I was feeling supported by them, however as you know insurance agencies are funny!

Glamourgirl, I have asked myself all those questions, and I am still a bit nervous of the finality of the choice to go forward, however I feel if I don't where will I be, heavier? I have the ability to lose the wieght if I have the right tool and motiviation, which I feel the band will give me, the problem I always have is keeping it off! I am hoping the limitations of the band will give that to me. Good Luck

Hope to keep hearing from you both!

Janine

I love being banded. I've gone down 2 sizes in 10 months. I'm down 52 lbs so far. The think I like about being banded is I still enjoy all my favorite foods just less of them. I eat about 1k calories a day. I exercise 3x a week at least 20 minutes of cardio. I am considered an average loser at 1 lb per week. It all adds up though. Good luck with your journey. I would do it again in a heart beat. Julie