Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dermatologist/Endocrinologist question...

I so want to ask a Dermatologist or Endocrinologist a question, but I don't want to go through my doctor and have to do blood work then get a referral , Yad yada yada! If anybody can answer this bizarre question I'd sure be thankful. Here it goes....

If I already have really thin hair where you can see through to my scalp from either it being (Androgenic Alopecia) or a previous case of(Telogen Effluvium) from 9 yrs. ago and my hair never came back.....then I have the VSG surgery and I go through the Telogen Effluvium again, will my hair grow back? Not knowing if my hair will come back is keeping me from the surgery. I am beside myself with fear of permanently losing even MORE hair.

As it is I have to wear a hair piece, as a woman it is devastating. I so badly need to have surgery but then what, be a healthy, trim BALD woman.

I know it may sound vain, please no mean comments, I understand if you start with a nice full, thick head of hair then it's no biggy, can hardly notice, but when I have people staring at my head already when I go out, it's horribly embarrassing.

What should I do? Should I have the VSG or keep the hair I have left and stay obese and still unhappy. I'm so confused on what to do.

Guest Pinkbear63

I have extremely fine, thin hair and I have concerns about Hair loss also. I take Biotin tabs every day and I plan to concentrate on eating enough Protein after VSG. I will be buying a wig before my operation in case I become a "hairless wonder". I don't look forward to this side effects of VSG, but I am desperate to change my life and become healthier. I think my VSG will be scheduled for next month and I am using this in-between time to work on my mental outlook. I am 65 years old and I have waited way too long to take better care of myself. I have given myself marching orders and I do not want to fail at this because of "hair fear". I would rather have people stare at me and wonder "is that a wig"? instead of "whoa, look how fat she is". We are more than our hair.