Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have been reading everything I can about the surgery and the changes that take effect after. I was just wondering how much my food choices will change after surgery. I don't mean cravings, just foods I love now. For instance, I love anything with tomatoes in it. I love chocolate. I love salads. I love lots of different vegetables.

How much will my food choices be altered by this surgery? I understand that the amount will be reduced, but what about the taste and enjoyment of food?

Oops, I guess I should have posted this in the post surgery thread. Sorry

Thanks.

Edited by losingsoon

You won't know until it happens.

For instance, I loved sweets (cake, brownies, cookies)... I thought I'd miss it. But now, sweets (especially cakes/ cupcakes) gross me out.

But I still eat tomatoes, salads (VERY little- like a bite or two), veggies everyday.

I don't enjoy food the way I did before bc it doesn't give me the high it did before. I didn't realize how unhealthy my relationship was with food. I don't miss the food; I don't miss the high; I much prefer my new life.

I am 4 1/2 months out and eat tomatoes almost every day and even salsa or chili once in a while. Milk chocolate was traded in for dark choclate which I had to get accustomed to.......it helps me to eat it in small amounts with slivered almonds or a flavored / mint Tic Tac. Mentioned in another post that I have been known to throw dark chocolate chips into smoothies.

I do not miss bread and the yeasty smell turns my stomach now. Potatoes, rice, Pasta are slider foods that derail my progress and are not worth fixing. Most other veggies I can tolerate except that I had four hours of total misery after trying cauliflower.

You will learn the give and take of altering favorite recipes to accommodate the new you. For instance, there is homemade lasagna in the fridge, but it is layered with roasted zucinni slices instead of Pasta. The ground beef, ricotta, and parmesanno reggiano give a Protein punch. This is the kind of recipe you could hide unflavored Protein powder in.

So, get creative in the kitchen. You will be surprised what you can do to enjoy eating without causing damage.

@@Miss Mac, totally agree w/ the rice, bread, pasta-- it's just not worth it. I thought I'd miss it so much (recovering carboholic- lol), but not at all.

Only you can control your food choices. We all would like to hope that our food choices become automatically better. But that's something that we have to control. I loved carbs... All carbs. From rice, to Pasta, cake, Cookies.. Just name it. I never touched one of those things for the first 6 months out. But, when I did, I have to watch out. I still loved the taste of all of them. And never one problem when I ate them. I am not on a diet for life. I am living a healthy life-style. And that means that sometimes, I do have a piece of cake. Or have chicken fried rice. I have been to goal, but due to an accident and meds, gained some back.. So just know that you can have some of what you want. But it is a slippery slope.

As everyone is saying (I'm 7 weeks, and on reg food) Everyone is different,m and what you tolerate one day, you may not be able to do the exact same thing tomorrow., but then may be able to do it the third day. Your sleeve will let you know exactly what you can, and cannot do. At least in the early stages, not that far along, so the "elders" on the group can give better advice, but good luck with all!

Thanks, everyone, for the information and candid responses. They are very helpful. I'm still feeling my way. I just made my first appointment with the surgeon and I'm reading the Big Book of VSG. Just need some practical advise.

Thanks again.

I keep reading where 'your taste changes after surgery', well I hope that is true. I am scheduled for surgery on the 4th of June, and nervous about eating again. My issue is, I absolutly hate yogurt, cottage cheese, and cold cheese of any type. And I would rather go hungry than eat chicken. So my mush phase of the post op is going to be rough. On a good note, I love the Protein shakes. I have 5 different flavors from 3 different brands, and enjoy each and every one of them. Hopefully canned tuna and Protein Shakes will tide me over until I can get to the Beef / Fish / Seafood part of the plan.

I keep reading where 'your taste changes after surgery', well I hope that is true. I am scheduled for surgery on the 4th of June, and nervous about eating again. My issue is, I absolutly hate yogurt, cottage cheese, and cold cheese of any type. And I would rather go hungry than eat chicken. So my mush phase of the post op is going to be rough. On a good note, I love the Protein shakes. I have 5 different flavors from 3 different brands, and enjoy each and every one of them. Hopefully canned tuna and Protein Shakes will tide me over until I can get to the Beef / Fish / Seafood part of the plan.

time to get planning your post op diet with your nut! dont freestyle. plan it out.