Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My name is Becky and I'm a regular in the Gastric Sleeve forums. I had a sleeve in December 2012 and immediately after surgery developed dysphagia and have not been able to swallow anything other than pudding and ice cream in 1.5 years. I haven't lost any weight partly because I eat stuff like ice cream and pudding all day, partly because I have zero metabolism, partly because I get zero Protein therefore have zero energy therefore sleep all the time. It sucks, badly so finally I'm taking a big step and revising to a bypass. The surgeon swears it will stop the pain and minimize the achalasia which can lead to cancer. I'm totally scared though, all I hear about is malabsorption issues and trouble getting in protein leading to hospital stays and I can't handle much more. So, since this is my only option I need to hear some success stories.

Can you guys please tell me that this has helped you and you aren't dying? I need some positive stories because the last thing I need is to make everything worse.

Well I'm only 10 weeks out but so far i haven't had any issues. I still mostly stick to soft foods, chicken, Beans, cheese ECT but nothing really bothers me. I can have tiny bits of bread or tortillas but I try to limit that. I've lost 53 lbs since I started the preop diet. The only negative side effect I've noticed so far is that my hair has started shedding a lot more but it was to be expected so I can deal. Good luck with your surgery. I hope you have better results this time around.

I wanted to have the sleeve as I really did not like the idea of malabsorption and re-routing my intestines. I was 100% sure I am the prefect candidate for the sleeve, I told my surgeon too that I want the sleeve not the bypass. He did not agree, he said i would have better success with the bypass but I did not listen.

Then I had my endoscopy and turned out I have GERD. So my surgeon pretty much refused to do the sleeve and I had to listen to him, so I went with the bypass. I am glad I did, I have no problems with eating whatsoever, if anything I have to watch coz I eat too much :D but I can tolerate everything and no more reflux.

Do not be scared because with the bypass you will get your health back. Malabsorption only occurs 50% of the time, I know plenty of ppl who doesn't have any Vitamin deficiency. Same with dumping, I have none, I can have a nice ice cream any day I want - but I guess that is the last thing you crave after eating it for so long :( No worries, soon you will feel much better! Keep us updated!

I was totally set on having the sleeve. I was a regular on the sleeve board. When I went for my consult my surgeon told me that the sleeve could potentially make my gerd worse. Also I have about 140 pounds to lose and he felt I would get closer to my goals. After doing my research I will be having gastric bypass on June 16th. I am very happy with my choice :).