Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded 4/14/2014. I was 351 lbs. at surgery and on the 1st I had my first followup with the doctor. I weighed in on the scale at 323 which was quite a loss. Since then I have only lost 4 lbs. Is this normal to lose that quickly and then slow to a crawl. I am eating 800-900 calories a day and exercising more then I have in a long time. (At least 30 minutes every day cardio and strength training twice a week)

I was wondering if anyone has had a similar situation? How did you break your first plateau?

Edited by MagillaDaLlama

You might want to edit your dates? 5/14?

Oh yes, it's very normal and almost all WLS have a similar experience. But 4 lbs in 10 days is incredible. Most of us would die to have this kind of loss!! It's not a plateau if you're still losing weight especially 4 lbs in 10 days.

Here's an article that explains why we plateau right after surgery: http://www.dsfacts.com/weight-loss-stall-or-plateau.html#.UqP7uBLn-Uk

Edited by 2muchfun

You might want to edit your dates? 5/14?

LOL yes, my time machine is broken. Thank you so much for the reference. It was so exciitng in the beginning except my wife you was worried about the drastic loss. Now I am busting my butt for these results. Not losing the faith though. :)

Here's an article that explains why we plateau right after surgery: http://www.dsfacts.com/weight-loss-stall-or-plateau.html#.UqP7uBLn-Uk

Great article. I learn something on this forum every day.

Magilla (autocorrects to Magical, btw), it will get easier again when you get to the Green Zone, which can be a process for some. Don't worry!

The road to weight loss is never a straight path. There are many twists, tutns, and PLATEAUS (or "stalls") along the way...... so, yes, completely normal. I, personally, avoid a lot of the let down associated with a stall, by not weighing daily or even weekly. I'm seven years older than you, and I can say that I let that scale rule my life for 53 years. A year ago, well before my surgery, I made up my mind to weight monthly, at my doctor's office only....... very liberating for ME. The thoughts behind a stall is that your body is "catching up" with all that is happening to it. I have done a lot of reading about stalls and plateaus. There are several thought process behind what one can do to get weight loss going again...... Carb cycling, low calorie days followed by a day or two with a higher calorie intake, changing exercise routines. Look into High Intentesity Intervals Trainng as far as cardio goes. Just know that this is temporary. You will start losing again.. We all want quick weight loss. I opted to take this journey as it comes. The weight will come off, unfortuanately on its own terms though! Best Wishes!