Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I told you so...

Today i went to a gym to get a base reference for my progress on the lap band, i got my circumferences taken, body fat% and BP. I also set up a physical for later to get my sugars, cholesterol... But yeah, when I got the results i was NOT surprised, It says that i weigh nearly 200lbs in lean body mass....therefore a good weight for me would be 210-220. My parents always told me that I should be around 160...i KNEW i could never do that, it is ludicrous, i would have to lose bone density and muscle tissue...I am built big and now this report proves it!

Obviously being big doesnt account for 100+ extra pounds of fat, but still...

CANT WAIT FOR MAY 4th!!!!!!!!!

Mr. Yoda's is at 2:00....I think they scheduled him for the last one of the day, as he has to stay overnight at the clinic (Sleep apnea)...(I had to do that too).

Who is accompanying you? I will likely see them in the waiting room.

my mom! Her name is lucie cote, if you recognize her or anything, and strike up a conversation i'm sure she'd appreciate it, especially from someone who has had it done! I'll probably the youngest person in there that day (19).

Lol, sorry but it doesnt quite work that way. As you lose, no matter what you eat, what exercise you do, how you do it, you WILL also lose lean body weight. Nobody loses purely fat. When you finish your journey, you wont have 200lb of lean body mass. Partly because despite exercising, your body will no longer need to work so hard to support your weight and you lose mass as a result.

But its not all about the scale either. Where you stop is where you find you have a healthy percentage of fat, whatever that weight may be. Your challenge is to lose as little lean body mass as possible (by exercising to build and maintain lean muscle), but you will lose some. You have 200lb in lean mass now because you have to carry your body weight. When your body weight is less, so will your lean mass be.

Is that base reference thing something everybody does before surgery? I had my consult today at TLBC and nobody mentioned it. Does it have to be done at a gym? Where else can you go?

well...it's not something everyone does, but i wanted to, that way i can TRULY know my progress, how well i'm doing as for 5 measurements, chest, arms, waist, hips, calfs.

Also, i got a body fat analysis to know what my target weight is, i did it at a goodlife gym.

And for the physical, it's to know how well i improve on my blood pressure, blood sugars as well as cholesterol. That way i actually have numbers telling me how i changed things around.

And i will try to document the progress well through photos, take some before photos, after the pre-op diet, and at regular intervals.

Lol, sorry but it doesnt quite work that way. As you lose, no matter what you eat, what exercise you do, how you do it, you WILL also lose lean body weight. Nobody loses purely fat. When you finish your journey, you wont have 200lb of lean body mass. Partly because despite exercising, your body will no longer need to work so hard to support your weight and you lose mass as a result.

But its not all about the scale either. Where you stop is where you find you have a healthy percentage of fat, whatever that weight may be. Your challenge is to lose as little lean body mass as possible (by exercising to build and maintain lean muscle), but you will lose some. You have 200lb in lean mass now because you have to carry your body weight. When your body weight is less, so will your lean mass be.

Alright that is cool, yeah, i will be doing lots of weight training, another

bonus of weight training is it boosts your resting metabolic rate.

And yeah, i dont like weight measurements, or BMI either, i'm more about body fat percentage. Because weight doesnt discriminate fat or muscle and BMI either. I don't care to weigh a lot if its all muscle.

You are right, after doing more research on The International Journal Of Obesity, (31 Oct 2006)

Changes in fat-free mass during significant weight

loss: a systematic review

Surgically induced weight loss

When compared to LAGB, both BPD (Po0.001) and RYGB

(P¼0.002) caused greater %FFML. The median (IQR) %FFML

was 25.6 (11), 31.3 (12.2) and 17.5 (3.7)% following BPD,

RYGB and LAGB, respectively.

So it's good to know that fat free mass loss in Lap band is lower than other methods.