Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi! I'm a new member! I am so glad I found this website. I am still in the researching/planning phase. My insurance doesn't cover any type of bariatric surgeries whatsoever. So I would be self-pay. Does anyone know of reputable affordable lap-band surgeons in the U.S.?( I am willing to travel some but want to stay within the states.) Thanks in advance for any help!!!

Hi Longing!

the above webaddress www.lapbandrockies.com is Dr. Kirshenbaum in Colorado. I am having my band done tomorrow (12 hours from now:biggrin1: .) There is a thread on here..

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/considering-dr-kirshenbaum-t26213.html

if that doesn't work because I am not that good yet with internet stuff like this.. go from the home page to Doctors/Hospitals (to search for) it is under Intro and all.. then to Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum. There are several how have had the surgery by him and many who are scheduled. Most of all his patients I think are self pay. I know I am.

His website, lapbandrockies, is very simple! Not fancy and not that impressive BUT HE IS!!!!! I had seen many flashy sites and they also had a very flashy price. I was looking into mexico but really did not want to go that route and I am so happy that I found Dr.K! My cost was $9,950.00 for everything... consultation with him and the nutri. the pre op visist, the surgery and all that is intailed with that and 3 months of followup and fills. After the first 3 months the fills/unfills are a very minimal fee... 15-20 bucks! He is a really nice doctor! he is down to earth and easy to talk too!

Check out the thread about him and then look at his website.

let us know what you decide..

Nope, the best surgeon I found with the most experience and best track record was in Mexico. He happened to be reasonably priced.

Keep in mind, the Mexican surgeons TRAINED many of the first US surgeons. They have been doing the procedure for 10 years longer than the US. They perfected the procedure. Don't let ignorance and a lack of education about other countries prevent you from getting the best medical care.

hi everyone, im new here, live in australia , i have been banded 10 months, lost 50kg and have 7 to go untill i reach my goal, love my lapband it has saved my life. enjoying having a look around and hope to chat to some of you soon.

You people are so great to talk with! Supportive too! I think I want to go with Dr. Kirshembaum in Denver, CO. I have heard a lot of good stuff about him. Since I am a self payer, I will need to try and get this financed myself. Does anyone have any info on this?

Thanks a bunch,

Selena

Thanks for the responses. Let me know how it goes for you Misty! Hope it goes great. If anyone else has anymore info-please keep adding!! Selena :D

Hey there! Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I had to change my surgery date from Friday 13 to Wed. April 18. I had complications that was just a weird wild card. No ones fault or anything.. but Dr. K and his staff totally put my saftey above all else.. so we just had to do it a different day.

I had surgery done is this am and am doing really well. not much pain, just still very droggy. The love, careing, and professionalism from Dr K and staff are far better then I ever could have dreamed of.. let alone actually experience! I am so happy that I went with him! To me, there is no one that can do a better job. My complication, I will tell you so you dont just wonder.. was something that the docs had never come across in their 17-23 years of doing this. The normal 'adult' breatheing tube that is used to incubate wouldn't fit. I had all the indications that it would but it wouldn't and by trying the first time with a normal one (like 99.99% use and always works) didn't my throat and mouth swelled shut. They easily could have forced the issue with smaller and smaller tube but just worked to get me breatheing on my own and worked me in this week. Today.. they knew what to expect and had things totally ready. (used a child tube, but mostly helped me to do it on my own.) Today.. I had no complications and everything went better then right the first time. I was rolled in at 930 and was awake and getting dressed at noon. Sat w/ iv in the recliners for a bit and was on the road back home at 1. Never did I feel rushed or anything. I did it all in my own timw.. under the thread for Dr.K some take lots longer and come around, or nap more in the recliners.. but I was ready to go...

So.. as you can tell... I am recommending any one and everyone who is considering Lap Band to him. Exspecially since I had complications that first go round, how it was handled and every step of the way.. proves to me that I was in more then capable handss. I only wish that if I ever need any other surgeries in the future that his team could do it... I know.. that is far fetched but.. that is how impressed and how well they took care of me. :biggrin1:

Best of luck on your journey my friend.. and if you have any other questions or anything please feel free to PM me.

Keep me posted on your decision.