Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One Week post OP questions......

I was sleeved on 4/28/14 I am one week and a day post op. I dont really know how to describe what im feeling. Is this gas? am I just full? I did well on the stage one Clear liquids although every time I would I would sip something whether it was Water broth or Jello I would get this pain right between the breast plate then hear a gurgling and then it would subside.

Now on stage 2 I am still getting this sensation BUT it seem that after 4-5 spoonfuls of anything I am getting this same pain but without the gurgling and it keep repeating itself until I have had to make myself throw up. That seems to release some of the pressure and that pain goes away. Does anyone else have this same problem? my concern is that i am not eating enough and then throwing up whatever I am able to get down. so I'm worried about becoming dehydrated. and im feeling the lack of energy which I did not feel in stage one.

Thanks

Your stomach is higher than you realize, and some of the pressure is from the sleeve. The rest of the pressure/gurgling is partially due to gas, partially due to the spasms as your food travels down to your sleeve. At this stage, it is VERY important not to throw up. You don't want to rupture your sutures. If 4-5 spoonfuls makes you uncomfortable enough to want to throw up, you are eating too much right now. 1-3 spoonfuls is all your body can handle, as your stomach is re-learning its job. Your main nutrition should still come from Protein shakes. As time goes on, 4-5 spoonfuls will become comfortable to you, but don't force it.

Good luck. Slow down and try 2 spoons. You should feel better. And don't worry, it won't stay like this forever! :)

I had a hiatal hernia fixed at the same time so I had double that tight gurgly chest feeling. I would take a small bite and wait to see if I had room. I never got sick and never threw up. My surgeon wants us to do anything in our power to not throw up the first month, so I certainly wouldn't be forcing myself to do it. Eat 10x slower than you think you should and way smaller bites than seem normal.

I wasn't able to eat anything other than popsicles the first week. The 2nd week, I was eating about 1 teaspoon of food every hour or so. Eating anything made my stomach knot and twist. I was still only eating about 3/4 of Soup per day at 1 month post-op. You will be able to eat more as your new stomach heals and the swelling goes down. I was very happy being only able to eat a teaspoon full or two and being completely full.

My main concern was getting enough fluids, which was no problem. As far as eating goes...I figured I had enough fat stored on my body to last a good 6 months! :D

I was also sleeved on 4/28, I got the pain when I are too but it was down in my stomach, along with all the rumbling. My doctor said the rumbling was gas and normal, the pain could have been eating/sipping too fast. I slowed down my sips and it's helped completely... I also had a hyatial hernia removed at the same time.... Am having trouble getting in my Protein, I'm so sick of shakes and I really want to chew on SOMETHING!! Lol

I'm also a 4/28 er...lol... try to take the smallest sip ever.. remember go as slow as possible. . We still have some adjusting. .

Basically what everyone else has said...the "sensation" you are experiencing could be from a number of things.... the new position of where your stomach/sleeve is... swelling/tightness from your surgery ( its still VERY NEW)...and the one thing I have learned over the last few months.. you HAVE to eat and sip very,very slow... and take breaks in between each sip of liquid and each bite of food. It would normally take me about 10-15 minutes ( or less) to finish a 16.9 bottle of Water...now it takes me about 1 hour - 1 1/2 hour.

It has been a struggle for me because I am so use to eating fast...and not taking the time to really chew my food....now I have no choice....because if I don't I could spend an hour or more with the same discomfort that you are describing..and if it doesn't subside.... I am also forced to regurgitate my food. Take things slow.... don't wait until you are over powered with physical and/or head hunger because when I do that...I tend to want to rush and eat and that's when I get in trouble... :-)