Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ray of Sunshine for my fat self

Hi My Name is Martha and I have an appointment to talk to my Dr the last of this month, and I feel HOPE for the first time in so long! I have dieted and battled weight all my life, but when my job early Medically retired me , I just lost it I guess and now I am over three hundred (been to ashamed to even go see my doc)I might pass out when I see what the actual weight is, I know it's more.

I just found out that My insurance will pay for this if Obese, with a subsequent factor.Does any one know what this means?

I am thinking high blood pressure for one, but wondered if there are others.

I live near winston salem are there any support groups close by? Thank you for being here, I am psyched!

My insurance will pay for this if Obese, with a subsequent factor.
Obesity is defined differently but a general guideline is having a BMI between 30 - 39, with extreme or morbid classification starting at 40. Subsequent factor - never heard it called that, but I'm guessing these are comorbidities. This isn't technically correct, but think of them as other medical complications that are somehow related to or impacted by your weight. High BP, cholesterol, apnea, joint pain, diabetes, hypertension, etc. are common examples.

Hi My Name is Martha and I have an appointment to talk to my Dr the last of this month, and I feel HOPE for the first time in so long! I have dieted and battled weight all my life, but when my job early Medically retired me , I just lost it I guess and now I am over three hundred (been to ashamed to even go see my doc)I might pass out when I see what the actual weight is, I know it's more.

I just found out that My insurance will pay for this if Obese, with a subsequent factor.Does any one know what this means?

I am thinking high blood pressure for one, but wondered if there are others.

I live near winston salem are there any support groups close by? Thank you for being here, I am psyched!

That's good news Divingqueen. Having this covered by insurance is a great thing. Just keep in mind that the process can take some time so try to be patient.

I think you are right that high blood pressure is a "subsequent factor." I've never heard that term before, I think they often call these things "co-morbidities" or something like that. But I think it means the same thing. Other similar factors could be sleep apnea, diabetes, possibly mobility issues, and other things. Most of us have something like that, so you'll probably find that you qualify in that way. Good luck on the journey. I hope it all works out for you.

Hi Martha!

Welcome to LBT. Yeah, who ever would have thought that you would be HAPPY to have high blood pressure? :]

Family history of heart disease and other horrible things can also assist in qualifying for insurance coverage.

Good Luck!

I have hypertension and joint problems!!

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :peace: :peace: :peace: :Banane01: :Banane21: :Banane21: :Banane21: :first: :first: :note: :note: :banana :banana :) :) :whoo: :whoo:

Hi Mark, I am sure the person that told me this was covered probably used another term, but my mind started racing when I heard that magic YES word, no telling what I missed hearing lol. If done on an outpatient basis cost is $100....will be hoping for this one! inpatient I pay 10%, big difference there, but I am NOT griping!

I am considering eating a nice salt sandwich to up my odds of having another condition! yes I am pretty desperate!

That's good news Divingqueen. Having this covered by insurance is a great thing. Just keep in mind that the process can take some time so try to be patient.

I think you are right that high blood pressure is a "subsequent factor." I've never heard that term before, I think they often call these things "co-morbidities" or something like that. But I think it means the same thing. Other similar factors could be sleep apnea, diabetes, possibly mobility issues, and other things. Most of us have something like that, so you'll probably find that you qualify in that way. Good luck on the journey. I hope it all works out for you.

Thank you Renebean and Marjon9 :) I love your slogan Former fat chick. I don't even care if I have the floppy skin (maybe later I will , haha) but I really don't want to have to have 10 pall bearers toting me, and man I don't want pall bearers for a LONG time ...now.

LOL!

I figure when I get down to a size 14, I will have a tee shirt made that just says: Former Fat Chick

Now, I am thinking I need one that says: Curvy Girl

Divingqueen, I really hope the surgery works out for you. Its been life changing for me. I must say the first 52 lbs has been pretty easy. I am bumping up the exercise now and I lost 3 lbs this week so far. I hit 230 this a.m. from a high of 282, 308 preband. Good luck to you. Julie