Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fill with fluoro

Has anybody experienced being overfilled under fluoroscopy? I'm thinking I could possibly use a fill and have an opportunity to have one under fluoro. Thing is, I'm not sure I even necessarily need one and certainly don't want to be too tight. That's why I was wondering. Just throw me some ideas and tell me what you think

I get flouro fills also and am not sure good question to ask the doc. , but to my knowledge they give you some Water to drink after any fills , and if it comes back out or you have trouble drinking it and it doesn't you are over filled, for me my Doc. , does the flouro , first he does the barium and makes me drink barium to see how fast or slow it goes down , then he looks under flouro fills me and repeats one more time to see how it goes down then he gives me water to drink to see how I am drinking and if it is going to come back up .

I get all my fills under fluoro and have been overfilled once, by .5ccs. Your barium swallow can show perfect fill level but remember, we all react differently to fills. My fill doesn't reveal itself for a couple of weeks after the procedure (once the swelling from the fill goes down) so that's my time for assessing the efficacity of the fill.

While I'm no expert as per my friend TMF suggest, I advocate Fluoro, and not just to find the "perfect" fill volume. It can show other things besides restriction level. My surgeon uses it for all adjustments now, and I'm thankful for that.

I've never been overfilled. I agree with Shel though, sometimes my restriction seems to reach its maximum effectiveness/tightness about two weeks after the adjustment. I think my surgeon still is a bit conservative with fill level, even using fluoro. Possibly to help with longterm health of the band and to allow ME time to adjust to the restriction level.

As others have said on this forum recently, including some on this thread, there is a VERY fine line between close and "perfect" adjustment for me. As a recent example of this:

I made the mistake of taking some pills about 6 weeks ago, probably containing some NSAIDS, due to sinus congestion/etc. Not sure if it caused some inflammation or just irritated the band area, but I ended up being too tight and hadn't had a band adjustment in almost a year. Tried liquids/mushies for about 3 days over a weekend and it really didn't get better....so, I went in to see my dr. He did the fluoro as normal and seen I was too tight, and had some slight refluxing of the barium. He removed some, and all was better......EXCEPT, I was hungry. Therefore, I ate too much. I didn't know how much he had removed...but at my appt last week, found out it was .8cc's, and I had gained 9 pounds. YIKES! He just kind of chuckled and asked me what did I expect......I suck at dieting. He added some Fluid back and said see you in a couple months. Hopefully, I'm back at perfect adjustment for me....we will see.

My copay has tripled and I'm a little peaved. I'm doing my routine checks , just to talk cuz I really don't want a blind fill. A friend of mine goes to dallas for her fills with fluoro for less than I pay for my "talks" including insurance. I feel like I'm cheating lol. But I'm really curious about the fluoro and I would also like to see how close I really am. Friend says her doc is very good and explains everything as he goes. I'm not doing bad, so I'm just not sure I want to push it

Thing is, I'm not sure I even necessarily need one and certainly don't want to be too tight.

Hi Sandy, you are doing beautifully. Just keep listening to your intuition about your body. It's working!

Yeah I guess I know this. I just wish I knew for sure. Guess I'm going to leave well enough alone and see how the weight loss continues. I'm almost at goal.