Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wanted to post earlier but just too tired. Had sleeve surgery Thursday morning. Actually thought about backing out all the way until I fell asleep. Then I woke up in recovery and couldn't believe I'd done it! My surgeon found a huge hiatal hernia close to my esophagus which surprised us all but he fixed it while in there. The 1st day of surgery, I just really had to recover from anesthesia. Made me so nauseous. Zofran and pain meds were my best friends and i hit my little button whenever i thought about it. Stay ahead of the pain. By that night I was up walking. Slowly but still walking. Very sore and gas pains awful. They would not give me clearance for gas x so I just walked and sipped sipped sipped. They gave me broth but I had no desire to drink it but forced myself to sip about 2 oz. I kept saying to myself "I don't have to like it, I just have to do it." That's what kept me sipping and walking too. And I wrote it all down so I could keep track of it.

Moving around helps the gas so much. I came home yesterday and just walking and sipping and taking my pain meds. My husband helped me shower and I've been in the living room chair alot since coming home. Finally, last night the gas has been coming out more and more, my husband is laughing so much but I don't care because it has never felt so good. Lol. I had no idea gas could be so painful. This morning, I am sipping, walking, and using my breathing meter thing they gave me to help my lungs. Feels like someone beat the heck out out of my stomach but I'm feeling pretty good. I am focusing on drinking. It's not sore to drink anymore and I am not going to be one that goes back for dehydration if I can help it at all. I don't have to like it, I just have to do it.

Sorry such such a long rant. Hope everyone is feeling good no matter where they are on their journey. And I'll be happy to answer any questions.

Yea, you're so right, I could have cared less. Where ever you may be, let the gas go free, that was my motto, and I could have cared less who was around. It just felt great to get it out. Take care, and welcome to the sleeve world. Good luck on your journey.

I was also sleeved Thursday morning! I am doing well, over did myself yesterday and felt it last night! I am swollen and sore. Hernia repair complete as well. I am finding that my Protein Shakes make me even more gassy! Bought some lactaid and gas x strips to hopefully get it figured out!

I had my surgery Wed. and they had to do hernia repair on me as well. I am not sure if my pain is coming from the repair or the sleeve. Last night was the worst for me it felt like a 500 pound beast was sitting on my chest. I have never had heart burns before so I felt like I was dying. I just wish I s able to pass gas so I might feel better. Has any one else had the chest pains?

I just found out I too have hiatic hernia! Dr says he will repair during my surgery. Im sooo nervous! I was suppose to get surgery a few months ago, but backed out last minute! Now that I know I need/want it, im in this time 100%! Im still nervous, but excited at the same time.

I had my surgery Wed. and they had to do hernia repair on me as well. I am not sure if my pain is coming from the repair or the sleeve. Last night was the worst for me it felt like a 500 pound beast was sitting on my chest. I have never had heart burns before so I felt like I was dying. I just wish I s able to pass gas so I might feel better. Has any one else had the chest pains?

Yes, I have the chest/upper shoulder pain.....I am told the pain is from the air/gas that was pumped in you during surgery. Mine is getting better today (day 2 post op)

After surgery I felt like an elephant was on my chest. I was assured it was just gas. Last night, after passing gas, I feel sooo much better!

So any tips for the shoulder pain? I posted this on another thread because I'm getting desperate, but this is bad. I had surgery on Tuesday afternoon, so today is four days--seems like it should be getting better instead of somehow feeling worse.

I'm walking a good bit--6000 steps yesterday felt like overdoing it, so today only 4300 steps. Walking helps my gut discomfort, but nothing touches the freaking shoulder pain! I've tried heat pad, moist heat, icy-hot and Biofreeze, cold packs, Gas-X strips and massage--and as above, walking.

I'm at my wits end, even deep breaths hurts them, and makes it worse. Help!

If it helps to know my surgery took an extra hour and a half because of problems getting tube down my throat and much worse hiatal hernia than they'd expected. Can't see how those would affect. Things, but this bites!

Anyone have any thoughts?

So any tips for the shoulder pain? I posted this on another thread because I'm getting desperate, but this is bad. I had surgery on Tuesday afternoon, so today is four days--seems like it should be getting better instead of somehow feeling worse.

I'm walking a good bit--6000 steps yesterday felt like overdoing it, so today only 4300 steps. Walking helps my gut discomfort, but nothing touches the freaking shoulder pain! I've tried heat pad, moist heat, icy-hot and Biofreeze, cold packs, Gas-X strips and massage--and as above, walking.

I'm at my wits end, even deep breaths hurts them, and makes it worse. Help!

If it helps to know my surgery took an extra hour and a half because of problems getting tube down my throat and much worse hiatal hernia than they'd expected. Can't see how those would affect. Things, but this bites!

Anyone have any thoughts?

I don't have any other advice. Sounds like you are doing everything they told me to do to get the gas out. I'm lucky, I hear, that mine didn't settle in my shoulder. I do know we have to keep taking deep breaths even though it hurts. For our lungs sake. I'm sorry you are in so much pain. Maybe call the dr and see if they have any other thoughts. :/

You mentioned your Protein Shakes seem to make gas worse-are they lactose free? My Dr says lactose free for the first 2 weeks because the enzyme that digests lactose stops getting produced for a short time post op.