Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will I ever be normal?

I was banded about 10 days ago and am very happy with my weight loss- 18 pounds already, but I am very depressed about the summer 2-3 months from now. Will I ever be normal? Will I be able to go to dinner with friends to a normal, Italian restaurant and enjoy something normal? I am happy on one hand and depressed on the other. Any advice and feedback from past banders would be great.

Yes, you will be able to go out to eat, just remember that you have to choose foods wisely and take small bites and chew, chew , chew ! I cant do more than a couple of bites of thin Pasta myself ( and definetly cant do lasagna noodles, too thick!) So I usually just enjoy the meaty sauce, salad, and a little bit of bread, home made or restaurant. ( My fav place is Red Lobster, coconut shrimp wth mango sauce and those little cheddar biscuts !!! Eeeeek !! Im drooling............!!!!!!!!!

you will be able to go and eat anything you want. you're relationship with food will change. it's funny how unimportant it becomes…the better you feel….the less it will matter. Good luck, and cheer up…you're doing great!!

"Will I ever be normal?" Why start now? Sounds funny, but for me, I've never eaten normally. Always, my whole life, I wanted more, the most, the best, the most delicious, seconds, thirds, an extra secret meal at home late at night, etc., etc., ... That was normal for me.

I just want a new normal. I am thrilled to trade what was for my new normal. As of yesterday I've been on solid food for a week. Today I went to Subway and bought a six-inch sandwich. I came home, cut it in HALF, sat down and took ten minutes to eat that half. And miracle of miracles, I was done. And satisfied. I almost cried.

I want this new normal so bad. I go out to eat with my normie BFF once a week. I eat slowly, and by the time she's done, I'm nearing the end of my meal, having consumed about half of the amount she ate, and about a third of what I used to sock away. And it's all good. Take out containers are my friends.

I truly feared missing my old pal, food. Guess what? Food is still my friend. But I'm happy - HAPPY - with way less of it.

Don't despair, it starts to turn around soon. At least it did for me. Stay connected to the feelings that come up, but don't eat over them. We all have to learn how to live a "new normal".

The better you FEEL and LOOK the more it doesn't matter. It's not the main thing in your life, other things become important. I am almost 3 years in. I will tell you one thing learn the new way of eating from the beginning, no matter how hard and you will be much happier in the food department. This is a journey, you will make your own personal adjustments in regard to eating. What works for you, maybe like they said. leftover containers are my best friend. You can still go out to eat, the conversation, the company, the laughs become priority, NOT THE food. iTS A NEW LIFE. ENJOY

Yes, but a different normal. Now I eat to live and not live to eat. I hate how I felt after over indulging and could hardly breathe, even with my pants unbuttoned. I love my new life...wish I had discovered it earlier.

I agree wish I had been able to do this 30 years ago. Life is so great.