Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Struggling 1 month out

I was sleeved 3/31 and have had a very easy recovery. I'm down 34 overall, but 15 of that was the per diet 2 weeks prior to surgery. I lost about 15 in the first 10 days, and only about 4 in the past 3 weeks. I've been up and down. I'm struggling with making time to exercise, and with getting in my Water and Protein. The shakes are so gross. Some days I'm perfect, but mostly not. I also find I can comfortably eat more than I probably should. I'm so afraid this isn't going to work. I have 3 busy sons and a husband, and I got the surgery so I can be better for them and be with them longer, but since I've physically recovered, I'm right back to running everywhere and doing everything for them, and my own needs are once again on the back burner. Help!!!

Also, I struggled horribly with Constipation until I started eating regular food earlier this week. And I had a brief visit from mother nature. I know none of that helps, but I'm frustrated at having such a big first 10 days and diddly since then.

Make a list of things that you feel need to change for you to be successful. What is it that is stopping you from exercising? What is it that keep you from drinking Water and getting in your Protein - BE HONEST. Will your husband be supportive?

What things are in your control to change?

Then, sit down with your family and explain you need to do things for you . Go over the list - can they help? You will still be available to them, but to be there for them long term things may have to change.

Make small changes first. Set priorities #1 Protein and Water --what needs to change here? Then focus on #2 Exercise. You won't be able to exercise if you don't get in your protein and water first.

This surgery was for YOU and only YOU can take control of making it work. You can do it!! YOU ARE WORTH IT.

The weight will not fall off in a month and life be perfect. This is a process we are all going through and no one can help us except ourselves. We just have to be here for support and words of experience which has helped me tremendously. It took me several months to solve the Constipation problems. You will still have stress, family to take care of, jobs to get to, but life will get better and you will feel better down the road a bit. No magic pill was given to us. Relax, breathe, and it will get better!!!

I think you are expecting too much of yourself - and in my mind, you won't be recovered yet - you are still healing inside.. be good to yourself - theres plenty of time to be good to those around you later, after you have had your well deserved turn! It will benefit them in the long run. I'd sit down with your husband first, then your sons too and tell them how you are feeling.

I'm feeling the same way right now at 4 weeks out. I am still in a lot of pain but I am scared that I have not exercised really yet. I am never really satisfied with the portions recommended (maybe that's because I don't know what normal satisfied feels like lol) but overall I'm scared that things won't really change for me.

But I knew this wasn't a magic fix and I'm doing my best to deal honestly with my possible roadblocks and still in counseling. I have another tool in my arsenal but certainly the other issues I have had losing weight will not go away overnight.

Good luck and be easy with yourself :)