Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have been researching lap banding for the last several months and have found this site to be very helpful and honest. I am trying to decide on a surgeon in mexico to perform my lap band procedure. I have family in San Diego and am leaning towards a Dr. Mascareno in Tijuana. Can anyone provide me any input on this surgeon???

Hello,

It is nice to meet you. I have honestly never heard of that doctor but that doesn't mean much. I would try to find other patients who have used him. Which hospital does he work out of? Have you contacted Inamed for a possible referal about him? Best of luck and best wishes, Teresa

Hi I was also banded in TJ in April 04 and researched many docs for over 6 months and I have to honestly say that I have never heard of him. Is he new? Is he an Inamed certified doc? How many bands has he done? Those things are important to know the answers to before making your final decision. There are several other well qualified docs in TJ if you choose not to use him. Best of Luck to you

I've been researching LapBand for over two years (and I've been banded for almost two years) and have never heard of him.

I live fairly close to Tijuana but went to Monterrey for the surgery itself. Where do you live?

Oh, I see where you live. And you know, maybe I HAVE heard the name. Well, then. A really honest answer from me would be...why would you fly so far away from home, when there are more experienced doctors closer to you?

If you stick the phone number on Mascareno's website into Google, you learn that it is listed to a Matthew Caposino, 1127 Broadmoor, La Puente, CA. I used to work very close to that area...not a business area...more of an industrial/low-income residential area of Los Angeles County. Usually, but not always, that kind of arrangement is between former patients who recruit new patients for a fee and the doctor. Not always...but often.

Anyway, there are some US doctors...Jaime Ponce is in Dalton, Georgia, and lowered his fees for surgery done at an outpatient center. By the time you add in mutlitple trips across country, you will probably spend as much. Also, in Monterrey, MX, there are several doctors who are very experienced, work at great hospitals, cost the same and are closer to your home.

My priorities are surgeon experience and a fully equipped hospital, then accessiblity for the routine maintenance that you have to have with the band, then cost. So my choice would not to be to travel to Tijuana for surgery.

Have you figured out what your priorities are for this surgery? That will help.

Sue

I dont know if you are choosing the Basic, Gold OR Platinum package for your surgery offered on Macareno's Web site but I can tell you this , my surgery had all the ammenitities of the Platinum package and it was at the Basic package cost with a very experienced band doc in TJ. I agree with Sue if you have to travel from another state then it may be wise to look for a surgeon closer cost wise ..for me I live just right across the border so aftercare in TJ is very easy for me even in the event of an emergency! If you choose to go to Mexico and will not be going back and forth to TJ for aftercare it is VITAL that you pre arrange aftercare in your area. I have heard it happen time and again where a person gets banded in Mexico and does not arrange aftercare locally. Many US docs will not touch a Mexican patient but there are some who will for a price .

Thanks to each of you for replying so quickly, I did not expect such a speedy reply. Like many other unfortunate people I do not have a insurance company that will pay for lap band surgery. In addition do not have a husband that is really happy about forking out much more than seven to eight thousand dollars on this surgery. ( WE DON'T SEE EYE TO EYE ON THIS ISSUE) Anyway I certainly don't want to put my life in jeopardy trying to save a few bucks for my husband. That Dr. 's website is "getbanded.com" and what I liked was that he was listed as a fellow in the American College of Surgeons ( but could not find that he was board certified in laproscopic surgery). The site says that he has placed over 1,800 bands( but anybody can say anything). There are two doctors in my area that I have found that will do after care for Mexican patients. So my concern now is finding the best surgeon with the best price to perform my surgery.

Not to dispute you, but please, please make SURE these people will see you. Maybe even a visit before banding to establish this relationship. It is happening that some SAY they will, then once a person is banded, they back out from taking them on as patients. It is imperative that you have local care in the event of any sudden complications.

I would continue to ask around for patients of this doctor. It is also not a name I have ever heard and I have been reading this and many other boards since 2002. Have you gone to Yahoo Groups MexcianBandsters?