Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2007 Bandsters

Hi everyone! Thought I'd check in and see how everyone is doing. Steph ~ You have motivated me to exercise too. I use to swim competive for 10 years. When I graduated in 1990 that was pretty much the end of it. I have terrible knees and my treadmill elliptical seemed to be making them worse. Several months back I got back into the pool and started doing laps. Today I swam 112 laps in an hour (a little over a mile and a half). It felt great. I'm now up to swimming 2-3 times a week. I'd be there everyday if my husband were better about watching the 3 kids. His motto "If it doesn't have an engine ~ He don't do it". Yes ~ He could use a lapband! Thank you for all your support!

Gosh, that absolutely makes my day, guys! My whole WEEK, in fact! I'm grinning from ear to ear!

Karla, that's great about the swimming! I'm thinking of joining a conventional gym (with conventional pricing, I'm afraid) instead of using my community center. It has everything I need except a pool! There is an open house at Lifetime Fitness next weekend and I'm going. That place looks like it is going to be GORGEOUS! My community center is fantastic as far as equipment goes, but lacks asthetics. Not a neccessity in a gym, but is good for ME! I like "pretty"! That is amazing, 112 laps in an hour! I was wondering how you even keep track of them? I would start "thinking" and lose count! Even on my bike...I take little "trips" in my head and lose track of the time!

Suzzzie, I've got some great articles and such that I could be emailing you and I could certainly text you with workout silliness or trivia each day to encourage you to go! I could even design a program for you, if you like, that rotates around each month so your body would never get used to it and allow to you keep progressing. All I would need is answers to a few questions to get started. I wish you lived nearby, too! We would work out so well together!

Ask me any questions... I'm willing to do almost anything it takes to make my damn ticker start moving again!

My biggest fear though - which is stupid in itself - is looking like a fat retard at the gym in front of other people... which is why I like to go at night. Lol.

Steph - you are truly AMAZING!!!! (and my exercise hero!!)

Isn't it amazing how attached we become to the people here. I thought I was just a nerd and needed to find a hobby :thumbup:

Kick my !#$%! too!!!!! I currently jog 3 days a week (starting on week 8 of Couch to 5K). That's it.

Ok - I've done yoga twice. I have rheumatoid arthritis and carpal tunnel so those positions really make my wrists hurt. Did you see the lack of strength training? I SUCK!!!!! I just find no joy in it.

I'm starting physical therapy next week since my back hurts so much. I thought it was because I'm "top heavy" now but it's not getting better and now it's my neck too. I hopefully won't have to give up jogging - I'm determined to do a 5K (I don't know why).

I don't do texting (except to my son) - I know - I'm soooo behind. I'd be glad to give you my email address if you want to kick my bootie into shape too :drool:

And, thank you for answering my questions about skin :w00t: I'm starting to refer to my tummy as a sharpei. I'm pretty sure the rest will greatly benefit from exercising. I have more fat to lose on my back and stomach. My butt has lost so much padding that it hurts to sit on hard surfaces :drool:

Hugs to all Junies!!!! Have a happy weekend :drool:

wombat

wombat- I have back and neck problems too. I thought it would get better as I lost weight, and I think it has somewhat, but it still hurts. I use it as my reason for not exercising, but I know it would benifit from it. I just started something called Rolfing. I have only been twice, but I can tell it is going to change me. My neck is already sooo much better and she wont actually "fix" that area until session 7, (you go to 10 sessions in all). Dr OZ talked about it on Oprah, and I know a gal that has gone to 7 sessions, she is in her 50's and says it has made her feel 20 again. Just thought I'd share:)

thanks bcrazy :thumbup: I'll look it up.

I wanted to see a chiropractor but I had to get checked out by my arthritis doc in case the bones were fusing. She's the one that wants me to do physical therapy - I just wanted to see a chiropractor :eek:

Docs beget more docs!

Okay, Suzzzie and Wombat! I will send you my questions by PM on Monday. Wombat, give me your cell anyhow because you won't have to answer me there. It should be easier to receive the short daily stuff by text and any replies can be emailed to me at your convenience if you like. I will send the longer, more infrequent stuff by email. Could be a questionaire, an article, a to-do list...I'll try to surprise you and make it fun since you are the one who has to do all the really hard work, right?

Stef--that was a GREAT post...You know how I feel about you!!!! Luv, Luv, Luv ya!!!! I've told you that...but to the rest of you...esp. Suzzzie---I haven't said it to you, but I luv each of you also---your post, the encouragement, the vents, the rants, raves, confessions and kudos all help to make me stronger!!!!

Suzzzie---I know what you mean about loving to watch t.v. and the gym....I feel the same way!!!!

Stef, I think you're forgetting - I don't WANT to do hard work. Lol.

Went to dinner with more friends last night... all my friends are married, I'm always the 3rd or 5th wheel. Anyway, went to a Pad Thai noodle place. So good! I had veggie fried rice. Lol. I'd never been there before, and this set of friends don't know about my band, so I needed to be careful. I did really well! haha. I ate very slow, pea sized bites, talked alot so I could 'avoid' eating. I'm also the only one who had a take-out box!

Then we went back to their house, cause we're really big nerds, and played a game that we pretty much play every weekend called Settlers of Catan. Fun stuff.

BUT... OK. So the husband of this couple, I've known him for several years, but only met his wife about 2 years ago, after they got married. He used to play in a metal band and I'd go to their shows to support the band, I was friends with a few other guys there too. He used to get drunk and hit on me. I always thought it was funny, just a drunk dude flirting with a fat chick... never thought more than that. But even NOW, when his wife will leave the room or something, he'll make comments. He texts me and says things someones husband shouldn't say. I'm not sure if this is just a continuation of our old flirting, or what? It's weird! Last night, after I'd gotten home, he texted me to tell me how good I had looked and thanked me for coming over and stuff. ANY joking-flirting I do with him, I always make sure his wife is around. I adore her and they have two babies (2 years and 7 months). WHat do ya'll think? Should i just quit hanging out there so much?

Stef--that was a GREAT post...You know how I feel about you!!!! Luv, Luv, Luv ya!!!! I've told you that...but to the rest of you...esp. Suzzzie---I haven't said it to you, but I luv each of you also---your post, the encouragement, the vents, the rants, raves, confessions and kudos all help to make me stronger!!!!

Suzzzie---I know what you mean about loving to watch t.v. and the gym....I feel the same way!!!!

Luckily for me, my gym has 'cardio-vision' so I can watch TV while I'm on a tredmill or elliptical. :thumbup:

Luv you too!!!

And... feel sorry for me today - I signed up to work a 12 hr shift on my day off!! WHat was I thinking!?!?!

Steph - you are an Angel!! I'll PM you my cell number (you so totally rock!!)

Suzzie - the guy sounds like he's going to a new level. That could lead to some bad stuff in my opinion. I'm sure the wife is tired with two little ones and he's maybe feeling a bit neglected. Certainly some caution should be used!!!

Okay, y'all are gonna make my head bigger than it already is! LOL Seriously, though...I love this stuff! And I'm so excited that y'all are wanting to do it! Like I've said a million times...I'm a nerd!

Okay, so freaking exhausted today so I'll make this short. Went and bought two pair of smaller jeans yesterday. Didn't try them on as I knew they would fit. THEY DIDN'T...THEY WERE STILL TOO BIG! Now, granted...not by much and I haven't washed them yet, so they may be okay. But I went back and got two pair of 8's since that is the next and final step for me. They are freakin' LEVI'S, too...which run small anyhow...and I can get into them! They are tight, but I can wear them! For the time being, I'm going to wash the 10's in hot Water twice and dry them on hot to see if I can shrink them some. When I lose a little more, I'll start wearing the 8's...until then I will hang them on my closet door in view for inspiration! I can't believe that I have gone from a size 22 and 24 to an EIGHT! I don't think I've been this size since elementary school. I think I was wearing a 13 in seventh grade.

Okay, so that wasn't so short. :cursing:

Stef, feel free to put me on your "butt-kickin' list" because I sure could use it. I'm getting nothing accomplished. I'm so mad at myself that I hate looking in the mirror any more. Is that just too depressing for words? I would rather be the cheerleader, but I ain't feeling it. I take care of everyone but myself, and when something is going on in my family I nurture and nurture, and then eat to numb myself out....I swear sometimes I just hate myself and eat to sabotage my progress. UGH! Too late to be posting.....hopefully I'll feel better in the mornings. Yes, Stef, feel free...or please add me to your motivational "gettttt offfff your buttttt" texts and emails!! Maybe some good old fashioned guilt will do the trick! <VBG>

Stef... I FINALLY started read that lift like a man look like a goddess rules book yesterday. It was starting to motivate me... then I got off owrk at 8pm and was exhausted, Lol. Working late again today... but hopefully tomorrow since I get off at my regular time (4pm) I can get to the gym... or even just go for a dang walk... depends on if it's raining or not. I think it's supposed to rain/storm here most of the week. Lol. I just wanna go ride my bike!

Stef---I'm currently doing the couch to 5k 3 times a week. I need something (weights) to do on the off days. I'll pm you and you can ask me the questions and put something together for me. I am considering getting a personal trainer. I have to look at my bugdet. I really need one for the weights. I HATE doing weights...I have the cardio under control......It's the weights that I have challenges with!!!!