Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2007 Bandsters

Ok, I'm really bummed right now. I was supposed to go for my first fill (banded june 12th) this Thursday and the doctor's office called and canceled it until next week!!!!!! I'm sooooooooo hungry!!! I understand that things come up. I work for a surgeon so I really do get it, but man oh man I'm just feeling really upset. I was counting down the days saying "OK, just hold on this much longer" now I've got another 8 days!!!!

Oh well, I guess it could be worse. More time for my tummy to heal, right?!

The stuck thing is really weird. Sometimes I can eat anything (in any amount ) but lately Ive had a few stuck episodes. Apples and salad seem to cause trouble, last night I was starving and forgot to go slow for a couple of bites and Oh boy I had to go and bring it up fast. I think it's only when I eat too fast and the more difficult to digest foods but it's nasty!!! My dietician said it should take 15 to 20 mins to eat a small meal, by then I've aready eaten, done the dishes,vacumed, hung out the clothes and thought about what to cook for the next meal !!!!! I think it will take some serious practice. Have a good day Junies, Marga

marga - I know what you mean about taking the time to eat. Fortunatly since my fill on Friday I've not had trouble taking that time!! If I don't, then things get stuck and I slime for ever. This morning I had a biscuit w/ gravy (yes, so nutritious!) and it all went down fine, but I was so scared of having it get stuck (I was at work) thta i took the smallest bites and sat the fork down between bites, and focused on chewing. It was so strange for me. I' really hopingthat I can continue to chew well and take small bites, slowly. It is hard when you've inhaled food your whole life!!

I've been using the Benefiber chewables - they don't taste bad and I take it at same time as chewable Vitamin and viative chewable Calcium. Takes a while!

I found this very interesting bit about timing of taking Vitamins and supplements on another site. I just wanted to post it to point out that if your MVI has Iron in it, you shouldn't take it with your calcium supplement, here's why:

Which vitamins should be taken with Breakfast?

Most all of your vitamins can be taken with your breakfast meal. This includes your daily Multivitamin, B-Complex, Vitamin E, and Vitamin C in addition to others. Not only will this help to start your day off right, but the breakfast meal is often a convenient time to remember to take your vitamins, as many of us consume our morning meal in our homes. In addition, the B vitamins in your multi and B-complex will help to convert food to energy, which can help you start your day off right. There is one caveat, however. We do not recommend taking Calcium along with your multivitamin if your multi contains iron. The calcium may interfere with the iron`s absorption. If you take an iron containing multivitamin with your breakfast meal, take your calcium with the other meals you consume throughout the day, such as lunch and dinner. You may also be interested to know that vitamin C helps increase the absorption of iron, so keep drinking your orange juice for breakfast or take a vitamin C supplement with your iron.

What vitamins should be taken with, before and after lunch?

If lunch is a more convenient time for you to take your vitamins, then go ahead and consume your multivitamin, B-complex, Vitamin E, Vitamin C or any other vitamins at this time. The most important point is that you consume your vitamins and supplements with food, to help with proper dissolution and absorption. If it is easier for you to remember to take your vitamins at lunch, then go ahead and do so. Once again, do not consume an iron containing multivitamin along with a calcium supplement. Many Multivitamins do contain a small amount of calcium. The iron in the multi should not affect this small amount of calcium.

What vitamins should be taken before, after or during dinner?

Calcium can be taken with dinner or later before bed time with a snack. We would hope that you would have taken your other vitamins earlier in the day, rather than waiting for your dinner meal. You should enjoy the benefits of the vitamins during your waking hours!

spacer.gif

I have been told to only eat three small meals a day. I have also been told to eat 1/2-1 cup each meal. I try to eat a serving of Protein (meat) serving of fruit and a serving of veggie for each meal. Now the problem is when I take 3oz of fish 6-7 grape tomatos and 1/2 a small apple it is more like 2 1/2-3 cups of food each meal. I do this three times a day (I change ingredients each meal) my cal intake is 500-600 each day. That cal count includes my Protein Drink my Fiber supp and all the other ingredients I use for cooking. I know that sounds low but it looks like to much food to me. I would like to know what people are eating in order to get only 1 cup per meal 3 time a day and still meet the protein requirements.

Ja9va&Insup: I also had a had a hard time making a movement I went 9 days with never needing to go #2. It kind of had me freaked out a bit so I starting taking a Fiber supplement, now every other day I am good to go. I take Fiber Choice chewables and I think they taste just like candy. I buy the sugar free orange, eat three of them a day (6 grams total)and it seem to work just fine.

On another note I thought this was interesting. I went to my insurance companys web site today to see if my band has been processed yet and it looks like it's just starting. So far I see $9,834 from the surgeon and are you ready for this? $59,704.04 for the hospital. Has anyone else seen a bill that high for the hospital? I got in at about 6:30 am and was out by noon the next day and the surgeon said everything went real good so I don't know why it is so much. I am just glad I got insurance because that kind of money would be very hard for me to come up with.

$59 000! That's 8 times more expensive than Australia. I don't know how you subsist on 600cals. I'm going to take 3 times as long as you to lose but I can wait. Well done!

Dawn, that's no good. I can't imagine how desperate you must feel about the setback. We all just want to be normal, functioning, losing bandsters.

I agree that not many June bandsters have been posting. Let us know how you're doing.

On another note I thought this was interesting. I went to my insurance companys web site today to see if my band has been processed yet and it looks like it's just starting. So far I see $9,834 from the surgeon and are you ready for this? $59,704.04 for the hospital. Has anyone else seen a bill that high for the hospital? I got in at about 6:30 am and was out by noon the next day and the surgeon said everything went real good so I don't know why it is so much. I am just glad I got insurance because that kind of money would be very hard for me to come up with.

YES!!! My doc billed for like $56,000+!! I was shocked since the self pay is only $13,000 there. Insane. Apparently they want the insuance to pick up the slack? Lol. And i was only there for about 11 hours. Insane. Well..... then my insurance sent me a check for just under $2,000! (I have to give it to the doc) but still... I'm soooooo not paying $54,000. Lol. So now the doc office gets to fight with the insurance. Yay for them!!

Faith-

Yes. You should always wait 2 hours after Iron to take a Calcium. I take minewith lunch. I just pack it in with my lunch bag I take to work. And I will confess that on my days off I usually forget to take it, since its not right in front of my face!

Has anybody's doctor told them that ibuprofen (advil, motrin) is a no-no too? Has anybody taken ibuprofen???? Tylenol is not working!

I have been told to only eat three small meals a day. I have also been told to eat 1/2-1 cup each meal. I try to eat a serving of Protein (meat) serving of fruit and a serving of veggie for each meal. Now the problem is when I take 3oz of fish 6-7 grape tomatos and 1/2 a small apple it is more like 2 1/2-3 cups of food each meal. I do this three times a day (I change ingredients each meal) my cal intake is 500-600 each day. That cal count includes my Protein Drink my Fiber supp and all the other ingredients I use for cooking. I know that sounds low but it looks like to much food to me. I would like to know what people are eating in order to get only 1 cup per meal 3 time a day and still meet the protein requirements.

Danbo--thanks for sharing what you're eating. Lately, I've been worried about my food intake. I was told by the patient educator to stop taking Protein Shakes (I had been using a shake in place of breakfast). She wants me eat to get the protein--suggested eggs and candaian bacon. I really like eggs--but I will eat deviled eggs (each whole egg is 6 grams of protein)....It's difficult to eat 3 small meals the size of your hand AND get 50-60g of protein AND 64oz of water.......I'm going to call my patient educator and discuss it.

Has anybody's doctor told them that ibuprofen (advil, motrin) is a no-no too? Has anybody taken ibuprofen???? Tylenol is not working!

I was told not to take ibuprofen because it thins the lining of your stomach. My doctor suggested liquid tylenol or advil. I'm an ibuprofen junkie--for any pain.

It's difficult to eat 3 small meals the size of your hand AND get 50-60g of Protein AND 64oz of water.......I'm going to call my patient educator and discuss it.

Tell me about it. I got banded so Icould have a variety in my foods, but trying to eat the way we should be and still getting in the protein, fiber, Calcium, etc that we need it ends up being the same foods over and over again. I've quit thinking about it. I'll eat what I eat, and if I need a Protein Shake I'll drink one. ;)

I was told not to take ibuprofen because it thins the lining of your stomach. My doctor suggested liquid tylenol or advil. I'm an ibuprofen junkie--for any pain.

Advil *is* ibuprofen

Same thing. Advil or Motrin are the trade names, ibuprofen is the generic name. The usual prescription dose is 800mg, the usual OTc dose is two of those little pills or 400mg. I admit I was a baaaad girl and I went and bought some children's ibuprofen liquid because the Tylenol (acetaminophen) just wasn't doing it for me, either. I took 400mg of ibuprofen liquid per dose and I flushed it down with a full glass of Water so it wouldn't be sitting in my stomach or pouch. I'm not suggesting anyone do that, but it's what I did.