Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2007 Bandsters

Hang in there Crabby, BigSexy, Captain Danbo. I am so happy you've all pulled through. In about a week, the worst will be over.

Welcome ItsJustMe

Lucy, I have thyroid probs so avoid soy yet am vegan so don't eat whey. I use pea Protein or rice protein. They both have very few carbs. Wait, were we on the same thread?

I am doing fine and enjoy reading the posts everyday. I'm also enjoying trying on clothes in my wardrobe. I've found quite a few things that now fit. It made me so happy and it's only doing to get better from here.

Toni, you keep the thread alive. Thanks!

I get a fill/get to eat solid food this Thursday. Yay! It feels like months since I've had a normal meal. Wait....it is 2 months. I'm so glad I cheated on pre-op those three days. The memories of it got me though. :-)

Hi, everyone,

So good to hear everyone is doing pretty well.

I'm 8 days post op and I have advanced to full liquids and can add creamy Soups, thin mashed potatoes, cottage cheese, smoothies, and hot cereals. My appetite is only now coming back and fortunately, not with a vengence!

I use the Designer Whey Protein Powder which has 19g Protein per scoop. For my clear liquid days, I used the Isopure drinks, 20g. I travel with my job and have bought the New Whey Liquid Protein vials which have 42g protein per 2.1 container. It's a little like drinking melted Jello but is handy just to throw in my purse. (I think I'll take Faith's advice and split it into two sessions). I got all these products at The Vitamin Shoppe.< /p>

A co-worker told me today to order the Profect liquid protein vials - he says they are available online at Protica.com and that they taste better. Anyone tried these?

I went to the movie today (Live Free or Die Hard) with DH and made it through without coke and popcorn. I drank a whole bottle of Water and a New Whey vial during the movie and was fine. I love popcorn so this was a big positive for me!

I am making my first out of town business trip on Monday so wish me luck - I think I will make it fine. It's a 5 hour car trip so I will just have to pack my things in bags that weigh less than 5# so I don't over-lift. I just bought a second Magic Bullet for my travel bag!;)

Well wishes go out to all the June Banders - you really have make my journey more fun...

Morning june bandies, (it's not morning for you) I just dragged myself out of bed and I actually feel quite alot better. Day4 must be the magic number. I have alot of port pain, can't sleep on that side but every other pain seems to have loosened it's grip. Hey question, how much restriction do you all feel immediately post op?? I can drink a whole cup of Fluid, or eat half a cup of Soup without feeling anything. I haven't pushed it , I guess that's the point but I'm curious. My Doc and dietition havn't said one word about counting Protein grams or anything else, so interesting to read all your posts. Why so much emphasis on protein???? So glad you are all there Marga

Hi Marga, here's some reasons protein is very important:

Protein provides amino acids for repair and growth after a major surgical procedure.

Proteins in diet increase the basal metabolic rate by stimulating protein synthesis, and that is believed to help enhance weight loss.

Proteins provide a more satisfied feeling for longer, fats are very slowly moved through the digestive tract but also increase weight significantly, carbohydrates are very quickly moved through and can result in a cycle of being hungry faster.

Protein is an important building block for growth and maintenance of muscle, skin and hair.< /p>

insub, it's possible that we were on the same thread, but you aren't the one who gave me a hard time :D How do you like the pea and rice Proteins?

Hello to everyone!!! Looks like we have one last bandster today and we're all on the other side in BANDLAND!!! WOOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!

:help::help:Sorry for the personal question, but has anyone had to have their hernia sutured and it still hurts? I was banded June 11 and yesterday I tried to have a BM. I am only going about once every 5-7 days. I had to strain a little and now it's a sharp pain between my breasts. It hurts more than anything I've been through with the surgery. Could this be my hernia or where the band is? Any comments would be VERY welcome. I'm a little worried. I did decide to go tonight and buy some stool softener. I think I'm going to have to take that for awhile.

Thanks,

Jackie

Jackie I had a pain there in the same area and I finally figured out that was my diaphram because it hurt when I breathed deep or coughed. They must jostle that about quite a bit and maybe more so if you had a hernia? On the other topic, I had a couple swigs of milk of magnesia and that fixed me right up. The baby prune juice sounds good too! Good luck.

Hey June Bandsters,

I would love to join your group! I was banded on 6-21-07. For the most part I am feeling pretty good. Then, yesterday afternoon I had some Soup and I have had a side ache ever since. ( maybe I ate it too fast, I did not get enough Protein yesterday) I thought it would be gone by this morning, but its not. Anyone ever felt this? Could it be gas? I never really suffered from gas pains.

Thanks for any input. I love reading this thread. Although I get lots of support from my family it sure is nice to escape to a place to visit with others who are going through the same thing.

mjsafari,

I see you had Dr Malley for your surgeon. I so too and I am scheduled for my banding on July 12th. I have been reading all of your post for a while and it has been so interesting. It kind of gives me an idea what is to come. I am on my 4 week pre-op diet and it has gone really well until this weekend. I had to have one bite of a hot dog yesterday. I did quite with that but it was really hard. I keep telling myself it is on 12 more days! Anyway I was wondering about the special bed you mentioned that Dr Malley used for the surgery. Tell me more please. I just want to know all I can know before the surgery. Thanks for the info.

Patti C

Dang!!!! I just cheated!!! I had a whole ice cream sandwich, a big one!!!! What the heck is wrong with me, I know better? Geeez...

How do you know if you have restriction? I was banded on the 20th, I haven't been to terribly hungry, I've yet to PB, but I have terrible cravings especially in the evenings. How have you guys been fighting the temptation? I feel great and I guess that makes me want to eat. Maybe I just like having surgery???? Please don't forget to answer the how do you know if you have restriction part.

What would I do without you all??? Thanks, Paula

One more thing...How do I put the ticker thing onto my posts? I went to tickerfactory.com and choose one, but couldn't figure out how to get it on this board. I'm not all that brainy when it comes to computers :D)

hi All

I am 3 days post op and I am starting ot get used to this band although it feels very odd, burping is a little difficult though.

the best part is I have seen the scales move which is great.

Itsjustme: to get your ticker on your post you need to copy the URL link and then go to quick links at the top of the page and click on edit signiture and paste in there. Good luck

Dang!!!! I just cheated!!! I had a whole ice cream sandwich, a big one!!!! What the heck is wrong with me, I know better? Geeez... Really? Are you kidding us? DON'T YOU KNOW ANY BETTER?!? What the Heck is wrong with you?!? Why can't you stick to the plan like the rest of us?!? :embarassed: Oooopsie....I failed to mention I just had a piece of chocolate cake from costco. Do you know the one? It sits a foot high, weighs 7 pounds and costs about $15? It's heavenly, and just a little splurge. :) BTW---cake is NOT a band-friendly food for me...I had to chase it with coffee:cup: and that's a big no-no (drinking with eating). Nothing I make a habit of, just like I know you won't with your ice cream sandwich.

And if you really like them, then how about the Skinny Cow versions? They look tasty! 140 Calories and come in yummy flavors like Choc. Peanut Butter, coffee, Cookies 'n cream, Mint, strawberry shortcake, vanilla, and Choc./Vanilla combo!

SKCV101.jpg

How do you know if you have restriction? You'll experience that after you get filled. You'll know it by the way the food *feels* as it goes down, and if you don't eat slowly enough/take small enough bites or eat the wrong foods, the restriction will cause your foods to come back up and say HELLO! (PBing or Sliming) Also, you will get a full, satisfied feeling after less food than you're used to eating.

I was banded on the 20th, I haven't been to terribly hungry, I've yet to PB, but I have terrible cravings especially in the evenings. How have you guys been fighting the temptation? Some of us have better willpower, pushaway power than others, I'm the LAST person to be giving you advice, actually! If I want something sweet, though, I'll have a small bowl of Cereal. I'm trying hard to break that habit, though, if I've had a satifying dinner at a reasonable hour.

I feel great and I guess that makes me want to eat. I think that's what some call "head hunger". I'm learning to deal with it, too!

Maybe I just like having surgery???? You're just good at it! Don't push your luck, though. You don't want band any band problems!

Please don't forget to answer the how do you know if you have restriction part.

What would I do without you all??? Thanks, Paula

Teeheehee...hope I helped a tiny bit! No worries!!!

Toni

Paula, I am having a problem with food too. I am having one of those last supper moments. I am getting my fill on July 9th. From what I have read most people cannot eat bread, Pasta or rice. I love all those things and I am almost in a panic that I will not be able to eat those things after my fill. I am having all sorts of cravings and I am trying to ignore them. It is very hard. I will have to take it one day at a time. The scale has gone up a little but I do figure some of it because of now eating food instead of just drinking CIB. Just remember you are not alone. This is a great place to spill your guts when you need to.

:biggrin1:Hi Guys, Thanks faithmd for always answering, I so appreciate it. How soon after banding did people start exercising? I'm talking walking here not weight lifting. No gas pain yet today:whoo: