Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2007 Bandsters

Well, its almost been 2 weeks for me since the surgery! I haven't weighed in awhile, but earlier this week I was down 8lbs since the surgery!

...but when I lightly push around below or around it I don't feel anything! I can also sleep on that side with no troubles, like nothing's there! Did they forget to put it in! ha ha ha! Is this "normal?" I just wondered!

Congrats on the 8 lbs! I know we are supposed to be concentrating on just healing and not loss right now, and the scale will probably go up for a bit when we start introducing more foods into our diets, but for now it's nice...

I just had my staples removed yesterday (one week after OR-a bit early, but they were making me NUTS) and the nurse had to help me find my port. Don't worry, it's in there. Sometimes it is above the port incision by a couple inches, sometimes it's off to the side, and sometimes it's right under the incision (mine is). I am completely numb above my port incision and the one closest to it. They must have gotten a nerve during the OR and I'm glad for now, but I'm dreading the return of feeling! But tbeing numb is the only way I was able to push on my belly and find the port.

Also, does anyone else have the glued together incisions? I guess I have some stitches (can't see them) and then glue "gooped" onto it to hold them together. I wondered if anyone else had this and how that was going for them? The glue is pealing up around the edges, but I am just leaving it and letting nature take its course. Also, does anyone else have sticky stuff on their bellies? I had the hardest time getting the iodine off, but now it seems like I have a lot of sticky goo left around my belly, even where there are not incisions. I was also curious as to how everyone is keeping there bellies cleaned? I am afraid to use any soap or anything.

Here's a link to a thread I started a while back about what folks were closed with:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f17/what-were-your-incisions-closed-31852/

The glue eventually falls off, you can trin the edges that are lifting with little nail scissors or clippers (wipe the blades with alcohol first, jut to make sure they are clean, though).

I had very sticky stuff all over my belly, it is from the sheet of film they put over your skin in the OR to keep the site sterile. It's usually yellowish (called Ioban). You can try a variety of things to get it off. Goo Gone!, nail polish remover, any adhesive remover (but those are so expensive) or my favorite, baby oil. It takes a while to work it off with anything, so I smeared baby oil over the whole stick area and then slowly worked at it with a cloth rubbing back and forth. I did have to scrape it with my fingernails in areas. I have some stuff we use in the hospital (Detachol) and that worked NO better than the baby oil did on the Ioban.

After you've finished, just make sure you gently wash the area with antibacterial soap (Dial, etc) and pat dry.

it's about 07:10 am i am still in the hospital i hope i get to go home soon. It kind of hurts to get up and down and i feel alot of pain in my left side when i cough i am sure it's because of the port, it feels alot better when i lay down and cough. they say the upper gi will get done between 8:30 and 09:00 then if everything is ok i could go home.

The port pain is a bit*h, isn't it? You'll be home soon. And believe it or not, the cold barium was soooooo tasty to me at that moment, I thought I was going to cry. They made me have at least one tray of some liquids and Gelatin before I could go, so I hope you get some sustenance before you get out, too.

I forgot to ask this in my last post! I'm drinking AmazeRX which I get from my Dr.s office because it's *only* $48 for 3 lbs. :eek: which is actually much cheaper than the website. teeheehee I like it because it's smooth and mixes in a snapola! I mix the vanilla sometimes with yogurt or PNB for staying power and I love the Mocha Zap because of the coffee flavor/when I need a little chocolate.

How about you? Anyone have or try Syntrax Matrix 5.0? I hear that's good and was thinking about trying it if any Junies were strongly recommending it.

One thing's for sure: I'm PITCHING my Bella Cucina (Magic Bullet knock-off). My Breakfast shake got stuck *again* this morning in the blending mechanism and it's still held captive there. :o Uggggh. Looks like I'm off to costco for the real deal. Magic Bullet, here I come! I guess you really do get what you pay for! :guess

Cheers!

Toni

Nooooooo, before pitching that one, look at the power in it first! the Magic Bullet is ony 225W, so if your current one is close to that, you won't be any happier.

faith: I had to do a upper gi back in 12/2006 and i did not like that stuff then, maybe now i will like it more. they have been giving me Jello and broth twice yesterday but I only took 10 spoon fulls of the broth and called it good. nothing after midnight last night because of the upper gi this morn. and I think that will be soon.

TONI: I love my MB the onlything I don't like is somtimes push down on the cup I got to push it like 2-3 times to get it to work but thats the only problem i have had with mine. anyhow good luck yours.

Dan

faith: I had to do a upper gi back in 12/2006 and i did not like that stuff then, maybe now i will like it more. they have been giving me Jello and broth twice yesterday but I only took 10 spoon fulls of the broth and called it good. nothing after midnight last night because of the upper gi this morn. and I think that will be soon.

Dan, they let you drink before your barium swallow? You lucky ducky, you!!!!! They wouldn't let me even have ice chips!

I had an upper GI before and though that stuff was the worst, too. But this time it was heaven. It might not be for you if you've already been able to sip some, though. I think it's all in how desperate you are for something to drink, :eek: I was desperate!

Thanks Faithmd! I think I will trim some of the glue and use something to take the sticky stuff off and give my belly a good cleaning! ha ha ha!

Can I ask what a barrium swallow is? I have heard it used before and just saw Faithmd mention it again.

After surgery, many surgeon's have you swallow a radiopaque dye (barium or something like it) which is fairly chalky while they take an x-ray of you swallowing. They are checking to see if the band is in good position and if it it too tight, or if you have a leak at all.

If you can anticipate a cough or a sneeze, grab a pillow and hold it to your belly. Helps alot!

ML

BigBaby - I can't encourage anyone right now for I have fallen :faint:! I vowed not to get on the scale until my next visit on Jul 11th but I could not hold out. Oh well! How are you doing? How are your incisions healing?

Toni - Hey Lady!! Thanks for sharing you experiences after your fill. That is so interesting because right now I feel like I can eat/tolerate anything but I see my life may change after the fill. Also, I see that you were considering trying Syntrax Matrix, I have never tried it and I don't know where you purchase your supplements but I order from Complete supplements (Complete Supplements). The site is run by Bill Haskins and he, in my opinion, has the best prices on the web and great customer service. He offers the 5lb bag of Matrix for $33.

(((MVR))) - You are very lucky, even though you are hungry. You will feel better in no time & when you see those pounds melt away it will be well worth it. Feel better soon!

CaptDanBo - I hope that you are home soon!!

I am glad to here that everyone is doing well that was recently banded! I can't wait to hear from Bigsexy! Can he call or write, send word by pigeon - I am dying to know how well he's doing.

Well, here's to a wonderful weekend for all and a fabulous 4th of July!!! (and the darn aroma of BBQ:ermm)

Hi all - just wanted to report that I am back from being banded

I was banded shortly after 1pm with the large AP band and am doing just fine. I did have to stay one extra night because i started having massive chest pains about 30 min before being discharged. They thought maybe I had had a Pulmonary embolism so everone and their mother came crashing into my room. I was rushed to numerous tests etc but all came back negative. By the time the last blood gas was drawn 8pm, they decided to keep me another night. Just as well i was really tired from being poked and prodded from for the previous 12 hours. I can honestly say with the exception of the major shoulder pain i had immediately in the recovery room, i have been fairly pain free. the jostling on the car ride home sort of sucked but now i am doing great. Dr said for me to get back on the treadmill starting tomorrow.

On a seperate note - dr said my liver was in pristine condition and was so small from the liquid diet he didnt even need to manipulate it to place the band. I also saw my band on the flouro the next day. pretty cool.

thanks for everyone for their support.

BigBaby - I can't encourage anyone right now for I have fallen :faint:! I vowed not to get on the scale until my next visit on Jul 11th but I could not hold out. Oh well! How are you doing? How are your incisions healing?

Toni - Hey Lady!! Thanks for sharing you experiences after your fill. That is so interesting because right now I feel like I can eat/tolerate anything but I see my life may change after the fill. Also, I see that you were considering trying Syntrax Matrix, I have never tried it and I don't know where you purchase your supplements but I order from Complete supplements (Complete Supplements). The site is run by Bill Haskins and he, in my opinion, has the best prices on the web and great customer service. He offers the 5lb bag of Matrix for $33.

OK Miss Nina....fess up! How much have you lost?!? I have GOT to step up the Crystal Light/Water if I want to lose anything any faster!!!!

Believe me, you life WILL change after a fill.:nervous You will no longer be able to eat what/how you are right now. At least I can't! And I'm not at real restriction, yet. That will be AWESOME!! I am looking forward to eating 8 bites or so and feeling full. Today I went to Chipotle and ate almost a WHOLE burrito bol! I hiccuped at the end, so I quit....I was afraid of you-know-what! <ewwwwwwwwwwwww> :speechles

Thanks so much for the info on Complete Supplements!!! Has anyone tried the Syntrax Matrix 5.0? :mad: Just curious.....

I need everyone to pipe up and tell me their Proteins of choice!:hungry:

BS! Glad you're home and you're OK after the heart scare!!!! And congrats on the lovely little liver!!!! That must make you feel good and you deserve it after all your hard pre-op work!

Faith....thanks again for the info on the blenders!!!!!! You rock!

OK BB...where'e that Avatar Pic?!? C'mon now!

Do you like this color green or is it too light?!? Just wanted to try it out.:biggrin1:

Cheers!

Toni