Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2007 Bandsters

Leenie, Toni & Janine,

Thanks for the encouragement! The exercise is the easy part for me, my struggle is with food. I'm just trading addictions.

Toni - You are good! Walking on the treadmill is great for your bones and preventing osteoporosis - keep it up!

Everyone here is such an inspiration to me - I can't imagine having a more wonderful support system!

Nina

I wish I had some suggestions for you. Maybe a sundress?

I drew all over my belly with marker to show where my waistband and my braline sat and was fortunate Dr. Wagner avoided those areas.

I wasn't given any instructions re: driving. I just waited until I felt well enough to do it, probably 4 or 5 days.

Ice cream shouldn't be bad for the band, just keep it in moderation :) I've been eating about 4oz of fat free frozen yogurt every day. I can't stand regular yogurt (it's so tangy!) but I love frozen yogurt and it's a good source of Protein.

I am finally officially onto mushies!!!! Hooray!!!! I was supposed to start on them today, but I was slowly incorporating them into my diet over the last day or so. I made a quiche yesterday and it was SO good...I LOVE to cook and I haven't been cooking at all since the surgery because I couldn't bear to make something delicious that I can't eat! What's great is that I had a teensy slice of the quiche and I was full. It's almost hard to believe that before the band I would have eaten a huge slice in a matter of minutes.

I drove about day 4, and I put a bra on about the same day. My port and incisions are above my waistline and below my bra line so I think I'm okay there.

I made pureed pea-soup this morning and I'm in heaven. I can only have a little bit, and of course I made a TON because I'm used to such large portions. I think I'll run to Pier One later and get some ramekins to eat out of instead (one of my library books suggested that).

Pippz, are those things from Pier 1 like smaller bowls or something? Before the surgery I went shopping for smaller bowls and couldn't believe how big they all are, or they are way to small. Its amazing how, as a culture, our dishes, bowls, cups and utinsels have gotten so HUGE! My grandma has some old juice cups and coffe cups from a long time ago and they are so tiny! But, really they are the appropriate size that everyone should use!

I would like to introduce you all to my new best friend: "CANNED CHICKEN!" *trumpets blaring* Since moving to mushy food I bought a bunch of canned tuna, chicken and tried deviled ham (didn't like it too much, unless I used a lot of relish with it!). But Swanson (don't know if its a local brand) makes really good canned chicken in Water. I can make 2 meals out of a can. Today for lunch I added some to some chicken Soup to "meaty" it up a bit! Last night I warmed it up and put some A1 steak sauce on it ( I LOVE my A1) and it was very good!

I am doing much better today at work. Seem to be pepping up nicely! I was able to drive about 3 days after the surgery, but it was just down the road and I hadn't had the meds to often.

As for the bra and waistbands... I was lucky, the incisions are either above or below the bands! I didnt wear a bra for the whole week I was off and when I had to put one on I was scared! But, it doesnt bother me anymore!

Have a great day everyone!

It's probably a seroma (a mass or swelling caused by the localized accumulation of serum within a tissue or organ). It is usually Fluid or fat that has broken down and isn't reabsorbed yet by the body. My surgeon's info binder says about 40% of bariatric patients develop seromas, just apply warm soaks a few times a day. The important thing to watch is if it gets red and hot (indicating an infection). It may drain clear or straw or pink/peach fluid and that's okay as long as the fluid is CLEAR, not puss-appearing. The surgeon's binder also said the majority pop up around day four to six.

Hi Faithmd, That seems reasonable. There is no draining or any fluid coming out. I will have to read on that. Thank you for the info... I appreciate it... based on this I am not going to worry about it for now!

Ramekins are smallish bowls for dips and things like that. They're not traditional bowls but based on how much I can eat right now, they're perfect.

Hi

I'm a June 07 Bandster - had my operation this morning!

Bit sore and swollen at the moment but happy as today is the first day of the rest of my lighter life!

Simon

Congrats Bigsiqc! It only gets better.

FarmeE and Marga - let us know how you are doing when you are up to it.

Hey, speaking of needing small food containers...have y'all seen the Lock n' Lock line? They have fantastic containers (I think they are better than Tupperware) and they have several that are great for bandsters to take their food on the go. There is a round 3 oz. size, a rectangular 6 oz. size, and an indispensable one that is 12 oz. with two 6 oz. inserts in it! I use the twelve ounce to take chicken salad in one side and fruit in the other and it is so small that I can just throw it in my purse and go! (YES! I LOVE the canned chicken, also! Tyson is the brand I buy here. YUM!) If you can't find the containers in your area, the best place I've found online to get them is at Heritage Mint where they seem to have the most variety and the prices are good, too.

Happy Tuesday, y'all! Stef

Congratulations to all June Bandsters for making this wonderful, life-changing decision! :Banane49:

We have just a few days left this month...who is left to cross over? :)

Good luck and thank you all for being such a wonderfully supportive group! I love it here! :)

Stef

tONITEACH - the reason for no straw is that it can get too much air into your stomach and can cause problems for you...at least that's what my doc and nut said. So I decided to follow their instructions - afterall - they've seen the results and I guess they just don't make stuff up to give us "rules for nothin". Of course everyone is different and I think some people have not had a problem with it. I was self-pay and after spending all this money - I'm going to follow the guidelines I was given. In the hospital they wouldn't even give me a straw to drink from.

CJ

Got the call a little bit ago saying I am to report to the hospital at 10:45 tomorrow with a surgery at 12:45. Any last minute tips or suggestions before going in? Think good thoughts and say a prayer for me. I will report back as soon as possible.

hi All

I am set for june 29th I am excited but nervous at the same time, How long did you all take off work to have this surgery Done ?

Hi Guys it's 6 am here downunder and I'm sucking down a coffee before I have to fast at 7. I had to Come online one more time to calm my nerves, you all are my new family even though I have hardly done any posting myself but read 1000's. Faithmd , don't stop with all your great support, it's SO helpful. Will be in band land this afternoon ,wish I could take my computer to hospital as I'm in till friday. Anyway I will miss you all and thanks again for all being there.