Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 months post-op ... hit plateau

hello friends! i am about 4 months post-op and i have lost 62 lbs so far! but i think i have hit my first plateau. :( the scale has showed me the same number for 2-3 weeks now, and im getting slightly discouraged. any suggestions (beside exercise more) ?? or is anyone else had this problem?

Win, congratulations on losing so much weight. The scale is only way to measure weightloss, sometimes when the scale stops you see inches coming off instead and clothes start feeling looser. Main thing is to stay positive and keep up the hard work.

I've had more than one stall / plateau since surgery - see my signature area. One thing I think helped me break the most recent stall was to "change it up."

• I've been following the Atkins diet ever since I resumed solid food a few weeks post-op so I started eating some carbs and increased my calorie intake for a couple of weeks.
  • I eat 4 times a day - 8a, noon, 4p and 8p. I love Quest bars, and I was eating one of those for 2-3 of the 4 meals each day. Someone on this site said she had to cut back on Quest bars to get the wt loss going again, so for the past week I've limited myself to just One Bar per day - I eat real food the other 3 times each day now -- but just Protein and fat, keeping the carbs as low as humanly possible.
  • Also I was eating several sugar free hard candies each day, and someone on here said she had to stop eating sugar alcohols for Atkins to work for her, so for the past week I've cut out the hard candies too.
  • I had not been exercising at all since surgery, so now I've started wearing a pedometer to count my steps each day, with a goal of 10,000 steps a day eventually, and I've started taking my dogs for walks several times a week.

And sure enough, the pounds have started to come off again, albeit v-e-r-y slowly. I'll TAKE it!

The important thing is ... SLEEVE ON!! Best wishes!

Yes, I agree with above poster. Quest Bars may not have the correct "net carbs" that they claim. I cut them out when my weight loss slowed around 4 1/2 months. I also started exercising, which I hadn't been doing. The other ingredient, if you're doing every thing else right, is patience. I have an app called Libra that tracks my projected loss, and it showed that I had actually lost more faster than it predicted, so was ahead of the projection. That's where I stalled. My body just was catching up. So be patient, it's really hard to screw this up if you're reasonably following the plan.