Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I finally met with my surgeon last week to begin the process of getting my sleeve. It was a very emotional meeting because I had originally thought that my insurance would cover the surgery. Well I found out I was wrong. It turns out that it is an exclusion in my plan. Not the insurance's fault, my employer who decided it wasn't important to include Bariatric Surgery.

Everyone at the office was so kind and put up with my crying on their shoulders, and I unfortunately need more than one shoulder, haha. I don't personally have the money to pay for the surgery out of pocket, and really didn't want to get my dad involved. I have a lot of unresolved issues with him and the last thing I wanted to do was have to ask him for money.

A little history, I used to have a Lap Band (2005-2010) which had to be removed due to complications. My dad paid for the original surgery as well as the emergency removal. He had told me at the time that if I needed another surgery, the only one he would pay for would be the Duodenal Switch. I do NOT want a DS.

I left the doctor's office completely defeated. I called my brother to check on my mom (who's been having some health problems) and immediately got some more bad news in regards to her health. I couldn't keep it together and broke down on the phone with him. I had not told anyone about wanting the surgery yet, but I ended up telling him. He was incredibly supportive and immediately got off the phone and drove over to my dad's house to talk to him. He called me back not 15 minutes later and told me to atop worrying, and that everything would be covered. My dad agreed to the Sleeve thanks to my incredibly wonderful brother.

To say the least, I had a VERY emotional day.

Long story long (haha), I am now in the process of taking care of pre op appointments. Since my insurance won't pay, my surgeon's office thought it would be best to have my Primary Care Physician order the sleep study so that the insurance would definitely pay for it. I have an appointment with him to discuss the sleep study on Wednesday. I have also scheduled my appointments for my psychological test and meeting with the dietician on May 15th.

My surgeon wants me to lose 30-40 lbs prep (yikes!). It sounds scary, but I know I can do it! Hopefully after my meeting with the dietician, I can get a date scheduled. I am hoping to have it done sometime this summer when it's slow at my workplace, plus it gives me the time to lose the weight.

I still haven't told my mom what's going on. Though I know she will be supportive, I am having trouble finding the right time to bring it up with everything going on with her health (she has breast cancer). I have some time, I just hope the right time presents itself.

I can't wait to get going on this new life journey!

So great your dad is helping with this amazing gift. I know what it feels like when you don't think it's going to happen. I am a band patient and I have had nothing but issues and pain from it since 2009. I wanted it out more than anything and the sleeve done but my insurance denied me twice! I appealed it myself and to my amazement I was approved for the removal of the band and the sleeve done. I'm nervous and excited and grateful. My surgery is the day after tomorrow. Can't wait to get this journey going. Wish you all the best.

So great your dad is helping with this amazing gift. I know what it feels like when you don't think it's going to happen. I am a band patient and I have had nothing but issues and pain from it since 2009. I wanted it out more than anything and the sleeve done but my insurance denied me twice! I appealed it myself and to my amazement I was approved for the removal of the band and the sleeve done. I'm nervous and excited and grateful. My surgery is the day after tomorrow. Can't wait to get this journey going. Wish you all the best.

Congratulations teshadb! So glad you are finally able to get your revision.

I'm hoping to have my surgery in June. I have scheduled the majority of my preop testing for the next few weeks including the nutritionist so I can get on a preop diet. I also spoke to my HR department today and let them know that I will be having surgery. Everything is moving very fast, but I'm excited and ready to get going.

That's so great!!! I am doing my clear liquid diet today and bowel prep! Ugh my stomach is not feeling good...haha. But by 730 am tomorrow I will be in surgery and then it will be over no more waiting! Nervous but I was the first time too. So I'm sure it will be fine.

That's so great!!! I am doing my clear liquid diet today and bowel prep! Ugh my stomach is not feeling good...haha. But by 730 am tomorrow I will be in surgery and then it will be over no more waiting! Nervous but I was the first time too. So I'm sure it will be fine.

Good luck! You'll do great. I'll be thing about you tomorrow!