Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question about portion on puree stage...

i go on purees for 1 week next week...so i am dying for food!!! but my question is im thinking that since i can get my fill for 3 more weeks,,,i will be hungry right? and i iwll be able to eat kinda normally right? well i am terrified about that...and my real food question is whaat is the proper portion for puree foods? do i still only eat 3 "melas" and a snack or something? i have lost 18 lbs in the past 2 weeks and am terrified to gain...my doc doesnt allow carbs until 5 weeks to maximize loss but im still scared...some input please!

You very well may regain some of the lost weight, as you add foods. The best way I found to counteract that---was to start walking, and moving more. It is a given that the foods you will be able to begin eating will be more calorie laden---but your body needs the nourishment. So you need to burn the excess calories, with exercise. If you happen to put a bit back on, when you begin finding restriction with your fills, and some exercise becomes a part of your day, the weight will continue to drop.

I would try to limit each serving to say 2/3 of a cup. If you are still hungry in 30 minutes AFTER you quit eating the 2/3 of a cup, then have a little more, just do not over stuff your pouch---it is still healing. I used to blend what the family was eating, but a lot of it did have carbs....I do eat 3 meals, and about 3 Snacks a day. Be sure to keep your Protein up, it will help with the hunger issues. Does your Dr. consider fish to be a mushie? Mine didn't, I had to wait til real food to have anything like that.

Let your body heal, try to eat as healthy as you can, begin some sort of exercise, and it will all work out!!! We all went through the phase---it is a necessary evil as we work our way to being filled!!!

Hang in there!!!

Kat

Kat..i dont eat fish..but i can blens chix and i do eat tuna...plus ground meat...so its ok...i just feel such a sense of anxiety...did u feel a big differnce after your first fill? im terrified that i will be starving without my fill..how did u feel b4 your fill?

Before my first fill, I felt hungry! I like you kept control simply because I did not want to regain the weight l Had lost. When I got my first fill(1.25cc's), it changed very little to be honest. It did make me realize, I had slipped back into some bad habits, of eating fast, and not chewing well. If I ate too fast, or swallowed too big of a bite, it hung up enough to cause pain. Reminded me it was there and in charge down there!!! Since I could eat solid Protein and was hungry again an hour later, my Dr. did my second fill 4 weeks later. It was a small amount-.50cc's---but it made a HUGE difference! I got excellent restriction from it. I eat small meals, I am not hungry, with the weight loss, exercising is easy---and don't tell anyone, but I actually even enjoy it!!! I have been working this fill for almost 9 months!!! I think one day I might be ready for a tiny fill now, then the next day I feel tight enough---so I have been putting it off! I do NOT want to be too tight!

Before my first fill I was a little aprehensive, nervous, about the needle, but it wasn't a big deal. The needle is BIG---but the poke is no different, than a smaller needle! It was done and over before I knew it!

You'll do fine!

Kat

Kat-

I am 20 days post op and back on solids. I've been mostly eating soft stuff like mashed potatoes, veggies, fish, yogurt, pudding, etc. My question is at each sitting I am eating about 1 cup of food. Is this too much? I don't feel full at all when I eat, but boy within 5 minutes after I finish, I feel really full. I know I read where our pouch is only about 1/4 cup or will only hold 1/4 cup. But I can't imagine 3/4 cups of food a day is enough for our bodies. Can you or anyone provide some direction on how much total food I should be eating at meals?

Thanks.

Kat-

I am 20 days post op and back on solids. I've been mostly eating soft stuff like mashed potatoes, veggies, fish, yogurt, pudding, etc. My question is at each sitting I am eating about 1 cup of food. Is this too much? I don't feel full at all when I eat, but boy within 5 minutes after I finish, I feel really full. I know I read where our pouch is only about 1/4 cup or will only hold 1/4 cup. But I can't imagine 3/4 cups of food a day is enough for our bodies. Can you or anyone provide some direction on how much total food I should be eating at meals?

Thanks.

I'm not on solids yet but my dr. says to just eat 2/3 c. three times a day plus one snack, even on mushies (which seem to go right through the band).