Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm in the pre-op process and don't have a date yet but I've been told this will happen in the next few months. I feel as though I NEED to do this because I've tried everything else and it hasn't worked. But I am afraid that I won't be able to give up food and follow the "rules" post-sleeve. My nutritionist asked me, as part of preparing for the sleeve, to eat at least 20 g of Protein for Breakfast, lunch and dinner and to eat no bread, Pasta, or cakes/cookies/candy. I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO DO THIS EVEN FOR ONE DAY!! So now I'm doubting if I can even succeed at the sleeve.

Has anyone else felt this way?

Hi there.

I am 5 months post op...I had similar feelings and concerns. I think that's normal. For us, food has/had a hold on us. My life revolved around food - I mourned with food, I celebrated with food, I ate when I was happy and I ate when I was sad.

I can tell you that now, at 5 months post-op, food no longer has a strangle hold on me. I eat for nourishment now. I still enjoy food, just much, much less of it.

As far as the "no-no's" in your post...bread, Pasta and candy. I do eat some bread, but not a lot because I don't feel good when I eat a lot of it. (I was a breadaholic pre-surgery.) Pasta - I can eat it and do, but not like before...I'll order a pasta dish with chicken and eat mostly chicken with a few bits of the pasta. Candy - I can eat it, but don't because I really don't crave sweets any more. I had a piece of carrot cake at Easter - I ate 4 small bites and gave the rest away. I didn't feel deprived - I ate what I wanted.

There will be sacrifice on the front end - pre-op diet and immediately after surgery. Once you're cleared for foods, you can start opening up your diet, staying within the guidelines your doc provides. My doc doesn't outlaw food - she preaches moderation and keeping within my Protein requirements daily.

Best of luck to you! This is an amazing opportunity - I was scared in the beginning, too. It's normal.

You will find like most of us on the other side that you will no longer enjoy the food you used to. One day a few months ago I saw red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting and all of a sudden they were mine. In the cart they went and home to eat....Hubby and I sat down to them and I bit into it....I almost gagged. The taste and texture not to mention the hit me in the eye sweetness was way too much for me....My husband roared with laughter and said he thought he would never see the day that I would spit out a red velvet dessert....Have not looked at them since.....

Now there are healthier alternatives to sweets...There are smart low calorie Cookies that I eat at times. I also eat baby Cookies. They seem to do the trick for me....I used to love my sweets and now....What!!!!!!!!!! life sure changes...

There are things I eat that I couldn't eat before and things that I ate that I can't now...But like @@McButterpants My nut preaches moderation and balance...

You will find yours!

Edited by RJ'S/beginning

Your lack of control pre-op is to be expected. Nothing has changed yet. Your told to limit things, but nothing is in place to help you anymore than during all the years you have tried dieting.

Nutritionists like to think of things in the ideal, not the reality. I wouldn't be too concerned until your pre-op liquid stage. That will likely be only a week or two. You'll be better able to focus on preparing for a successful surgery and stick to the guidelines then. Keeping you mind on the prize, so to speak.

After surgery, everything will change. Physically and mentally. You'll be in a better position to handle the change. Even look forward to it. Relax. You're on the road to a changed life. You'll get there. ;)

Thank you all so much, you all said what I was hoping to hear. I really appreciate it.

I agree with others.

seriously, if telling ourselves that eating just 'legal foods' and 'diet' would work, then most of us would have done just that, and we wouldn't be signed up for bariatric surgery.

our hunger is not just physical, but for most bariatric patients, there is also a huge emotional/psychological component to it.

I am still pre-op too and it is very easy to say. I have heard from MOST post-op folks that your tastebuds change and many things you just HAD to have pre-op aren't an issue anymore.

I sure hope!

You won't have to give up food forever. The pre op and first couple months are the toughest. Now that I am 14 months out I can eat pretty much anything. The difference is that I usually choose not too. Although I still have weak moments I am able to say no a lot easier now. And if I do fall off the wagon the damage is smaller since I can only fit so much at a time. I used to have issues with mindless binges and just can't do that now. Too much sugar makes me Feel icky now too. I still love food but it does not rule my life anymore.

I look SO forward to the day when I can say that food doesn't rule my life anymore, or that everything I do isn't surrounded by food anymore.

I know that eventually i'll go back to 'regular' eating, but I feel like i'll be more on an even playing field, with being able to order a SMALL portion and having it be enough, rather than how I eat now- 2-3 portions just to feel 'full'...

I can't wait for that time either - when I don't think about food constantly! On so many levels I feel done with all the fat and calories now, but then somehow each day I manage to "need" them again. The thing I really want most of all is to stop failing - it is such a horrible feeling to try and fail at something over and over again - and I can't wait to have the sleeve as a tool so that I can finally succeed!! Can't wait! So glad I found this forum, makes a world of difference to know I'm not alone . . .

This original post could have been written from my head. I wonder the exact same thing (fellow preop here). I am really nervous about doing this and then not being able to stick with it. I'm glad to hear from so many people saying that the surgery actually helped them to change, not just forced them to eat less of the same junk. And @myonlybattle- feeling done with the overeating and then ending up going back to it daily is SO me. I'm sick of it, but haven't figured out how to do otherwise on a consistent basis yet- still working on it though.

So glad I came across this thread today.

Have a great day everybody!