Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Last straw stories

My last straw came when I realized that my food addiction (that's what it is in my opinion) had pretty much caused my infertility. I had PCOS and couldn't control my diet enough to make it go away. My doc said she would try with meds, but everything seemed to aggravate my ovaries and make a bad situation worse.

The thought of missing out on my opportunity to have children forever is enough to scare anybody into surgery.

I will always see my problem as an addiction, and I will have to treat it as such even after the band. The problem is in my head and I will always have to work on that.

My weight went over 317 pounds and I was worned that I would develop diabeties if I did not lose some wait. Not long afterwards I was drinking tons of Water and I was losing weight but not because I was dieting but diebeties had finaly set in.

I also had to use a cpap machine to sleep with. I went on Atkins lost 60 pounds my spouse and I went on a cruise where I gained what seemed like 20 pounds in a week and then my run was on.

I started taking twice the medication for my diabeties and my health started to fail.

Meanwhile my mom had to have both needs replaced and she has had health problems so I could see my future in the mirror.

My wife started researching lapband and I was finaly willing to do something about my health. After several months of jumping through hoops with insurance on 9-12-07 my wife and I were both banded.

Even though it has not been easy my decision to proceed with the lapband is the best present that I could ever give to myself.

I am no longer using the cpap machine and I am taking half of dosage of my diabetic medicine and looking forward in a couple of months to no longer taking any medicine.

Joe Frank

My last straw moment was knowing I just didn't care enough about myself to diet anymore. I was starting to forget what it felt like to be skinny, and it was getting less and less important as the years went by. Diets just made me gain more weight in the end.

I was scared that when I stopped completely caring, I would continue to gain until I died of a heart attack. I was eating a diet of junk food and was sneaking it in any way I could - going to different stores every day, hiding it from my husband and child.

For me it was an addiction (sorry, Wasa, I know you don't believe food can be an addiction, but for me it really, truly was.) I did get the shakes when I tried quitting, and did get other symptoms like feeling out of control, severe mood swings, panic attacks, that sort of thing. Instead of equating it to other addictions like drugs and alcohol, think instead of gambling or shopping addictions.

Anyway, I just knew I couldn't do it anymore through traditional means, and needed something drastic.

30 pounds lighter, and I feel like a new person, I feel like I fit in more, and I'm excited to lose more and feel even better about myself. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel where before it was complete darkness.

I can't help but notice how some posters are being somewhat righteous ... shunning those who are more obese than them.

I have incredibly sympathy towards those who happen to be morbidly or super-obese.

Due to medications, I have been there when I lost all feelings of satiety, where it didn't matter how much I ate, I never felt full, and it was non-stop, never-ending hunger, and getting food was all I thought about. Thankfully I was able to stop those medications before I gained even more weight, but some people don't have that luxury.

Then the weight comes on, and the cycle of depression continues. Isolation from public humiliation causes depression, lack of movement, further contributing to the weight gain. I could go on and on....

Rather than sounding like you look at people with such disgust and disdain, how about being a bit sympathetic and understanding of their plight, rather than thinking to yourself "oh god I never want to get THAT fat", talking about the smell of yeast in fat rolls, them not being able to wipe themselves properly, etc. etc.

I would sincerely hope that those, who work as health care professionals, would show some kindness towards that patient. It might be the first show of sympathy and care that that poor person has had in ages. He/she was humiliated enough being there.