Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Proper Calorie Intake while VERY Active

I am at a standstill in my weight loss journey, and have been for about a year. I was banded in Oct 2012 (260lbs) and I am now stuck in between 210lbs-220lbs depending on the time of the month.

I maintain a very active lifestyle. I've never been so active in my life. I strength train with weights 3-4 times a week, as well as walk/jog 4 miles a few times a week. I also try to get in 30 minutes a day of cardio via a DVD or class.

According to what most fitness experts say, I should be eating 2200 Cal per day in order for my body to be able to burn fat and not store it. We all know how crazy that sounds in the lap band world. 2200! Yea right! I'm beginning to wonder, if perhaps I'm not giving my body what it needs however, and if that is why I haven't been losing any weight. I typically consume 900-1200 Cal per day. 80-100g of Protein per day.

I'm so frustrated. I have an appointment with a new Dr. this week to make sure my band is in the proper place.. I only have 4cc's and I can feel all of my food in my esophagus when I eat. I have another 50lbs to go and I can't get this weight loss train moving again. I'm wondering if I'm not eating enough.

-Paula

My eyeballs bugged out when I read 2200 cals :o :blink:

I got nothing unless you're not counting all calories going in? You should be losing at least 2-4 lbs a month? Are you feeling the satiety signals with the band? I mean, is the band doing it's job but the fat loss math isn't working for you?

It sounds weird but I definitely think you are not eating enough. Up your Protein calories by 200-300. I swear it will work . Your body is holding onto the weight because it knows your not going to give it more food. I've been through this. I was stuck and it works. Went from 298 to 138 :)

Thank you @@princessheather! It's good to hear that there is hope! I live by myfitnesspal, and fitbit so I track, track, track. I've gotten so frustrated in the past couple weeks that I stopped. My band restricts me for sure, most of the time my food gets stuck after 2 bites and I have to vomit it up. This is why I think it's in the wrong place. I can't wait to see this new Dr!

mommymaverick...although I am quite new at this...I lost quite a lot of weight first thing out-eating about 800 calories a day...my body went into total starvation mode for about 4 weeks, after 2nd fill (no restriction at all) and a nut that told me I needed to eat 1200 calories a day...it started to move again...in the last 2 weeks I have lost 4 lbs again. not sure if that is what is happening to your body, but maybe you need to mix stuff up alittle bit...some call it shock your system...different exercise, different foods etc. not sure...but I am glad I am finally moving again...wishing you well and that things start moving for you too...take care!!! let us know what the new doctor tell ya...ok?

I'm having the same issue. For a few months have been working out 6-7 days/week I do cardio 6 days/week and strength train 6 days/week. I work out around 1.5-2 hrs almost everyday and I can't lose any weight either. It's so frustrating and I'm also thinking I'm not taking in enough calories for how much I burn.

My nutritionist told me that my body needs to hold some of the calories in some of the Proteins to sustain my organs and so may be overwhelming working out too much which may sound crazy but maybe working out all over working out too much pulling out too much out of your body so your body is saying no I'm holding back because you just taking everything away from me soul what I do that used to happen to me for 3 weeks so what I did instead of doing cardio and walking everyday I separate what I'm doing and I'll do cardio cardio for 2 days and walked in everyday and just hold back on something and I'm just losing like crazy I wish I was not losing so much weight Mines is just flying off me too fast

Hi Guys! I had my appointment with my new Dr. yesterday. I like him. Unlike my previous Dr, who told me I must be eating too much, or not chewing my food enough for the past YEAR, this Dr. intends to problem solve with me.

He started out by telling me that he would have never put the band in me to begin with, as he doesn't offer that anymore. He said the band originated in France, and since then, they have stopped doing it all together in France. He said the band is too ineffective. It has such small results, and too much maintenance. This wasn't great to hear... especially since my mother, husband, and best friend all had the Sleeve, and have had great success with it. I have always questioned whether or not I made the right choice.. now I'm pretty sure I didn't.

But here we are, with the band in, so let's see if we can make this work. He ordered an endoscopy. He said that way we will know exactly where the band is placed, and if it indeed slipped up below my esophagus. If it did, he recommends taking it out and doing the sleeve.

When I asked him about my calorie consumption, based on my activity, he couldn't really answer. He referred me to their nutritionist who I will see in the next couple of weeks.

He said that because my BMI is a 38 and in order to be approved for surgery you need a BMI of 40.. if I gained a little, I could get the sleeve even if there isn't a "problem". He is really pushing for the sleeve. I don't know that my insurance will cover a second surgery without there being a problem, but boy is that tempting. I've experienced what the sleeve can do through my family and friends, and to know that I could be thin in a matter of months, is so tempting. I've done what I've supposed to do and have only lost roughly 40lbs in 1.5 years with the band.

I'm tired of the struggle. I chose the band knowing that it would take time, years. I'm ok with that, but when there hasn't been ANY loss in a YEAR it's completely discouraging.

So he took all the Fluid out to see what was in, and there was 5cc's. He put it all back and added .25 cc's. I'm a bit tight, but I can still eat and drink if I take it slow. I will get the endoscopy, and meet with the nutritionist and take it from there I guess. I would like to make the best out of the band, but if the sleeve is actually an option, I may go for it. I'm not confident in my ability to go without help of surgery. i know myself, and I know I need something.

mommymaverick...I didn't have the option for the sleeve either the band or bypass, I watched a friend of mine with the bypass totally become so unhealthy her bones are all so weak she has to wear braces and use canes now. so that wasn't even an option for me...it was the band or nothing. I am not sure if I am doing this right or not, but I am down 40 lbs in less than 4 mths and just learning to be a bander each day...I am in what I call my WANT TOOS...I want to get healthy I want to eat slowly I want to lose weight I want to be able to look in a mirror and say guez girl you look pretty good. so all I can say to you if the sleeve is what you want to happen then I hope that-that works for you, but I am hoping they can trigger something in your band to make you Want Too start over again and not have to worry about another surgery!!! either way I wish you well and that things start working for you and that your happiness is achieved in whatever direction/path this WL life sends you. let us know how things are working for you...hope to see another post about this soon (after your Endo maybe-huh?)!!! :D

mommymaverick, I am not as active as you, but I've had the same problem. It's hard to eat enough calories, get enough Protein with the band. I am working towards drinking more Protein shakes and hoping that will help make a difference.

You were already a little too tight? How is putting more saline in the band going to make things better? Sorry to be a wet blanket but his other comments regarding France is disturbing and not knowing how many calories you should consume?

There are some doctors who do not understand the band. Their patients suffer the consequences of their ignorance. I hope this guy can help you?

Yes I was already tight and putting more in was a mistake. I've lost 10lbs since Wednesday because I couldn't eat! For the past two days I couldn't even get fluids in. I went today and had them take ALL Fluid out. (It feels amazing).

I'm taking this time (1 month until my follow up) to really test myself. I will maintain my workout schedule but FINALLY be able to eat without being in pain! I'm nervous about gaining, and really have to discipline myself... I don't want to go buck wild and gain 30lbs. But man did it feel good to eat Breakfast and not have pain.

I'll keep you posted on my progress.. And it will be interesting to see if I can lose without Fluid.

Wise choice Mommy. I'm real curious how you do the next 30 days with an unfilled band. Keep us posted please?