Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Problems with Omeprazole (Prilosec) and Metformin

My primary care physician just took me off my omeprazole prescription. She said all the doctors in her clinic are no longer prescribing it because of some new research that shows that omeprazole prevents your body from absorbing Vitamins. She wasn't specific about which vitamins, but gave me a prescription for Zantac instead. I just thought I'd pass on the information so people can ask their physicians about it.

She also told me that Metformin isn't a good long term solution for diabetes either. I had first hand knowledge about that. Being prediabetic, she put me on Metformin last year. It took my body about 3 days to adjust to it without the nausea and diarrhea, but I couldn't take the entire prescription. I was doing good taking half of it, and my A1C was coming down, then I started getting nauseated every other day, running a low grade fever, and having episodes of diarrhea again. I went to see a stomach doc, who examined my stomach for ulcers. When I didn't have anything notable, he took me off the Metformin, and then everything resolved.

Now after my surgery, my A1C is back to a normal 5.2.

Thank you for sharing. I am very dependent on my omeprazole. I'll talk to my doc about this.

We were both taken off Metformin a week before surgery. Never had any problem with adjusting to it though. I take the Omeprazone daily since surgery 5 months ago, and my labwork has been excellent. I think different doctors just go different routes, some are better than others. So long as my body is working right I am good lol!

I don't really trust the advice from primary doctors, they have their hands in too many pots. My gasterologist has me on omeprazole, and surgeon put me on more of it it after sleeve, I'm doing good with it. As far as metformin, my primary had me on metformin for 2 yrs, and my sugar was high, finally I insisted on a referral to an endocardologist. He told me I needed to be on insulin, that metformin was not right for me. so research it, or second opinion. but thanks for letting us know, cause I will stil ask my docs. By the way, my sugar has been really good, a couple of highs (think it's stress) but not many. Good luck all!