Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HAHAHAHAHA, my mom made me read that article because i'm getting the surgery done soon. She insists i see a shrink to avoid this. Does anybody think that seeing a psychologist is essential?

HAHAHAHAHA, my mom made me read that article because i'm getting the surgery done soon. She insists i see a shrink to avoid this. Does anybody think that seeing a psychologist is essential?

Essential - not sure but I have taken to reading up a bit more on addiction. I will post anything of A HA! value.

Susan

I think there are some people who need formal help to deal with their issues surrounding why, what, when, where and how they eat.

I think there are some harsh realities for all of us to face up to about why we ate so much and let ourselves gain until we reached some state of fatness that required surgery. But I also think that by being honest with yourself and facing up to the reality you can face the issues and move on without professional help.

By the way I think if you are prone to falling victim to another addiction seeing a shrink won't stop you it will just give you a neutral person to talk about your new addiction with. I think that if look at alcoholics, gamblers etc until they were ready to give it up and stop on their own they didn't stop. If you mentally aren't ready to give up all the comfort of food, mentally and start channelling that time and energy you spent eating into something out there are tons of other things that are safe you can obsess about.

I can say after 5 years I am still not a gambler, huge drinker, smoker, druggie or basically anything else but a person.

Id like one thorough sex addiction please...and a side order of shopaholicism, perhaps a narcisism chaser....

:)

maybe a healthfoodaholic.... or exercise junky.... extreme sports nut... or perhaps an outdoor freak!! OMG.... so much to be on the watch for!!

personally I am hoping to run into a few of those addictions head first!!

lol have a great day!

People often look look at an overweight person and say why don't they just stop eating so much, as though it's that simple. People who have never had to deal with a serious obesity issue have no concept of what it is like to live in our shoes. In many cases, family and friends have a very real ability to be cruel and mean spirited, but I think more often than not they say the things that they do out of love and concern for our well-being. I just wish that they would take a moment or two to think about it so that they really say what they mean and not end up just sounding mean.

Heldie, i know what you mean!

Just watch the preview of that documentary on PBS, the doctor's quote in there goes along the lines of: 'I don't think people appreciate the delicate balance of hormones and how HARD the body fights starvation.' It's like when we try to lose weight our body goes into survival mode and fights us every step of the way, when you lose you usually regain...our body is holding on to that fat for dear life.

I remember a while ago this TLC special about a guy who had lost a HUGE ammount of weight...i'm talking like over 500lbs. And he was on all the news and bla bla bla....evertything is great. But then people forget about him, and he slips back into his old habits....soon enough he's back to his old weight and then some. Just to say, there are all these cases of people losing weight out there, but if you go and look at them now, when people aren't documenting them....i'm sure a few of them are not doing great. And still...people will quote their stories as success stories, not knowing how they are actually doing now.

Hi: Stuff the addiction nonsense. There is an article out today that British Gene hunters have found two very strong DNA genes that are markers for fat. Quote: The researchers first identified the gene FTO in the DNA of people with diabeties type 2 etc. They were surprised to find the marker was associated with increased body fat as measured by the BMI rather than insulin production so they scoured other DNA databases to see if the gene predisposed a person to obesity.In reviewing the genetics of some 39,000 people they found that individuals with one variant of the gene had a 30 percent higher risk of being obese than people without it........................on and on.

At last we are getting scientific information out that takes us out of the freak show, addiction blame, etc and puts us squarely in the normal range depending on our genes. With the constant abuse from the media, school chumps, family enter pyschological damage and you have dynomite combination to weight gain. Plus the excellent documentary called "FAT" on PBS E we may actually start getting some support. In the meantime, I "weight" for noone as I struggle on my journey. Doddie

Robgoblin,

You are right - I have seen a few shows about people who are 700+ lbs and they highlight their stories but once the show is over, they are forgotten. I always find myself hoping that the people they turned to for help did not abandon them too. Obesity is such a complex problem and there is more to treating the problem than cutting calories.

I am glad that we have this forum to support each other - thanks for being there everyone!