Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 days Post Op and having pain with deep breathing

Hi,

I was sleeved on Monday, April 21, 2014. I'm having pain when taking deep breaths. Its really freaking me out. Should I be worried? I have talked to friends who have undergone this surgery and they tell me they have not experience this at all. Can anyone provide some advise??

Call your Doctor. Pain when inhaling or exhaling is nit normal

I get it too and I was sleeved the same day. It's more like a pulling of my incisions.

I also have pain and it hurts to cough. I am 5 days post op. I can not function without assistant. I need help getting up and lying in bed. My husband think I should be doing better. I walk around the house and I use a heat pad. I am getting depress what can I do. My incision site on the left hurts really bad. It also drains a lot.

I also have pain and it hurts to cough. I am 5 days post op. I can not function without assistant. I need help getting up and lying in bed. My husband think I should be doing better. I walk around the house and I use a heat pad. I am getting depress what can I do. My incision site on the left hurts really bad. It also drains a lot.

I would call the dr if I were you. My incisions are scabbed over and healing great. I never had any drainage. Also I think you should be able to do most things on your own. Maybe it's just my ability to bounce back, but better safe than sorry!

Hi,

I was sleeved on Monday, April 21, 2014. I'm having pain when taking deep breaths. Its really freaking me out. Should I be worried? I have talked to friends who have undergone this surgery and they tell me they have not experience this at all. Can anyone provide some advise??

Really......you just had surgery and your go to place for medical advice is an online forum of strangers.

Call your doctor.!! Do not rely on medical advice from a forum. Whether or not someone else experienced something or not is of no consequence to your individual situation. Get professional advice.

I just got sleeved on the 24th, Except for gas issues i'm ok. Getting up and moving is the biggest thing to help process out the gas. I know once I get past this gas stage all will be well!

Thank you everyone for your responses. The pain has ease up as my day continue.

@Recycled- I did contact my nurse and doctor. You should try getting you point across without your tone. But thank you also.

@Recycled- I did contact my nurse and doctor. You should try getting you point across without your tone. But thank you also.

Actually the tone was intended. Difficultly breathing is not an issue for an online forum. It wasn't meant to be sarcastic. It was meant to emphasize the importance to seek a doctors advice on what could be life threatening and not waste what could be valuable time on here.

I hope your are feeling better and things are alright now. Just ignore the tone. Sometimes us guys can come across a little too insensitive. I really did mean well. <_<

Edited by Recycled

Definitely contact your doc. I was having a lot of pain a week out of surgery when I was deep breathing, and it turned out I had a collapsed lung. It fixed up after I got the proper treatment, but don't wait until it's too late like I probably did. It really slows you down!

Keep up your deep breathing though, it's really important!

I too had these symptoms. Went to the ER because it was the weekend. Turned out to be nothing but was glad to get checked out. At almost 2 weeks post op I'm still having trouble tolerating most foods.

Definitely consult your surgeon first for any issues. The breathing pain normally only lasts a couple days after surgery. I personally was very attentive to my post surgery recovery, using the spirometer within 15 minutes of waking up after surgery and then hourly after that. And regularly for the couple days afterwards.

Breathing pain is a side effect of the anesthesia. If you dont fully expand your lungs regularly after surgery, Fluid collects in the lower part and can cause pneumonia.