Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sharp pain from a sneeze.

I'm currently 9 days post op. On Monday. I was caught off guard and sneezed quite violently. Until then my recovery had been going very well with very little pain.

The sneeze HURT deep inside about two inches above and two inches to my left of the belly button.

It was a very sharp pain but ever since the sneeze it hurts much more whenever I go from sitting to standing, or twisting slightly.

I had my check up on Tuesday and mentioned it to my surgeon but it seemed to be healing by then (or at least it was hurting less) so I want to give it another day or two before I grew concerned.

Just wondering if this is common soreness or if anyone else had a similar event during recovery.

I remember my first sneeze after surgery. Felt very similar to how you described, and I was sore for a couple days afterward. Just gotta imagine the tissue the surgeon had to dig through and the internal sutures that are there. It's possible that you pulled on one. This will definitely set back the healing that has already been done, unfortunately. Just try and take it easy until it feels better. Keep a pillow handy so you can have it on your stomach if you feel a sneeze or cough, and avoid bending down at the waist and heavy lifting.

Thanks for the reply. I really hope it's just sore from the sneeze. I plan to take it easy for the next week still (no work Until May 5th)

This post was a life saver. Simply applying pressure to the painful spot helps tremendously! I honestly feel liberated. I no longer fear a sneeze or a cough. I can bend over to pick things up again just by applying pressure first.

I don't know why I didn't try this on my own but I'm glad to have had some help. Thank you.

This post was a life saver. Simply applying pressure to the painful spot helps tremendously! I honestly feel liberated. I no longer fear a sneeze or a cough. I can bend over to pick things up again just by applying pressure first. I don't know why I didn't try this on my own but I'm glad to have had some help. Thank you.

So glad to hear!!

so regarding this sharp pain I did the same thing but has not gone away yet. did your doctor tell you it was just tissue? Mine has been more than 2 days. Now I walked 2 mile yesterday on the treadmill and it hurts much worse today so I'm thinking I over did that. I had my surgery on 4/21/2014. I just don't want to pop anything but don't know what that would feel like.

I had the surgery 4-16 and the poetic started the following Monday after my sneeze.

The pain was a lot to bear, but I had my first check up on Wednesday. I explained to the surgeon about the pain and he said this was common and to give it some time.

This past Saturday the pain finally diminished to a point where i can sneeze or cough openly without any significant discomfort. Hopefully this is helpful, but it sounds like you might just need to bear with it for another few days. Also remember that people heal differently.

Very helpful thank u I will let u know for sure