Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Confused about eating for protein or hunger...

I'm post-op week one as of today. So, I know I need to get my Protein in, at least 70 grams per day. So my question, if I don't physically feel hungry, do I still need to eat (even if it is liquids), just to get my protein in?

the short answer is yes...protein first...try to use your liquid Protein first and other liquids throughout the day...

first you need liquids to stay hydrated...and Protein helps your skin and muscles...drink it slowly, you'll get there...even if it takes all day!

take a few sips and put in frig...so it's ready when you want some... but you need liquids and protein can be part of it...

good luck, you've got this...it's a little tough in the beginning

slow and steady wins the race...

Edited by BigGirlPanties

The goal is to consume all your Protein eventually. I was nowhere near it for several weeks post op. What I did was keep sipping. But I didn't force it. When I sipped, I sipped Protein if possible. It must have taken me 2-3 weeks before I could even get in 64 oz of fluids comfortably, let alone protein.

I think you should ease into it, keep the goal in mind, but don't make yourself sick from trying to down all the the protein if you can't in the first 2-3 weeks. Just work toward it.

Thanks to both of you! I haven't even been getting in 24 oz of Fluid, let alone anywhere near the Protein requirements. However, between yesterday and today, I feel much better and can hold down more liquids. For Breakfast I had 2 oz of vanilla greek yogurt mixed with 1/2 scoop of Protein Powder. For lunch, I had a couple of ounces of cream of chicken Soup with 1/2 scoop of unflavored protein powder. I'm not 'hungry', but I know I need the nutrients from food and to get my protein in. While I'm not technically hungry, when I eat, I don't get the 'full' feeling. Is something wrong?

For me; I don't feel full but I do feel a slight tightness in my chest; so then I stop eating.

I have not been getting all of my Protein in; but ive been getting around 30 to 40 grams. For my morning meal I have a shake with Greek yogurt skim milk and protein powder. For lunch I have Soup with some protein powder mixed in. For dinner its the same. Right now I find that mixing half Water and half low Cal Gatorade makes the fluids go down easier. Ive taken approximately 35 oz of Gatorade water mixture so far today and the day is still early. Its 2 pm my time zone.

you are still healing...things will change up a bit... you are only consuming liquids, so you really won't have that "FULL" feeling... but you will feel a tightness...or you should...

but don't worry, it will all work itself out...just stay hydrated! Main thing right now...LIQUIDS