Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok A Question Please-Stuck or Satisified

Okay I have a question (stupid or not-gonna ask it)!!! I am slowing down when I eat, chew, chew, chew, put my fork down in-between bites...so when I start feeling an uneasy feeling in my low esphogus that I have been feeling is something stuck...is it stuck or am I feeling this way cause I need to stop eating...if I stop eating all together after those episodes I don't want to even eat anymore. So am I confusing stuck with my body just says your DONE? Ok will I ever get to understand what I am suppose to be feeling? Thanks for any info you could offer!!! Hope you all have an awesome weekend. :wacko:

My trike came yesterday and my hubs is putting it together...so I will be cruising on it tomorrow I hope for sure...I will post pics too!!! I'm so excited. :D

In my mind there are two types of stuck that I deal with. One is, the large chunk of bread or chicken that is lodged in your stoma and that feeling has some pain and discomfort associated with it. It can produce a lot of slime and I attempt to PB it but usually fail.

The other feeling is eating too fast and not allowing the mushy bolus of food enough time to be pushed through your stoma. This feeling for me is a soft-medium push under my breastplate/sternum and may or may not incorporate a little slime. It means I need to take longer between bites to allow my esophagus to do it's job.

If I'm eating dry foods I may use a glass of Water between bites so that I don't get stuck because let's face it, there are some foods that don't want to cooperate and some days my band is fussy and hates everything.

This is only my second day of solid food, but I've learned a lot in 24 hours. I have no fill yet, so some of this surprises me, and kind of makes me worry if my fill three days from now will make me too tight. But anyway, I feel the soft stops and it's amazing. The key is eating slowly. Way slower than I'm used to. At every meal so far, as soon as I feel anything at all, I stop for a minute. What I mean is, the first bunch of bites don't give me any feeling of "being there" in my esophagus or stoma. But then one bite suddenly will, if I listen for that sensation. If I do wait for a minute, I might or might not hiccup, or lightly burp. Soft stops!!! If not, I take another bite. If I feel its presence again, I'm getting to "done". Both times that I felt the soft stop, I could tell I was already satisfied and done. So that tells me I need to eat slowly enough for the soft stops to happen before I wolf all my food. I can't tell you how happy I am that I can feel these signals. I'm so glad I learned about them on this forum before my first day diving into solids. So far, no runny nose or watery eyes for me. Just the burp and hiccup, at two different meals.

Just discovered something new a minute ago. I had my lunch, nice small portions, no hiccup, no burp. I stopped anyway, since my lunch was measured out for work. I sat there and surfed the web on my phone for another fifteen minutes. Then I got up and walked over to my desk, sat down , and Burp! And Hiccup! LOL, a two-fer! I'm convinced that standing up and moving triggered those soft stops. So when in doubt, I can always stand up and sit down again.

Justwatch, If you convey to your doctor what you just posted, he will know what to do and I'd bet he'll have you wait 4-6 weeks to get your first fill.

Thanks 2muchfun and justwatchme...think the chicken was a bit drier though...tried a sip of Water and it made it worse...so think it got stuck...didn't throw up though...it finally went down in about 15minutes. thanks again.