Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello,

This is my first time ever in a forum, but anyways I am planning on having the lapband done. I am getting doubts of having it done because the people around me are saying is not a good idea due to the after affects. I have some questions are the scars big scars and how does the lapband feel once inside? Please give me some advice with your experiences.

Welcome! Take some time, look around here and you'll find loads of good info. The Search function on the blue toolbar near the top of the page is a wonderful thing to use to find answers. I've learned a lot by using it.

I haven't been banded yet, so I cannot speak to what the band feels like, but I don't think anyone has posted that they can feel the band itself. The port area is sore after surgery, and sometimes after moving certain ways (it's sutured to a layer of muscle).

What after effects are they saying are not good???? I can imagine that someone might say the after effects of bypass surgery might not be good, but there are no real after effects of the Band other than soreness and gas pains after the surgery for a bit and occasionally eating too fast and getting "stuck."

Here's some links to help you with more info:

Here's a link to the FAQ forum, you will find many threads there about what all the abbreviations mean that are tossed around here, links to other good sites, technical references about the band, checklists, and things to ask the doctor:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/lap-band-faqs-f73.html?s=&daysprune=&f=73

The scars are NOT big at all! Here's a link to the thread that has many, many pictures of people's scars, in various stages:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/scar-stages-share-t6117.html

Here's a link to the thread with lots of before and after banding pix:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/before-and-after-t4642.html

Keep in mind that most people here are going to give you positive responses. If you ask this question at a board for another type of surgery, you will get overwhelming negative responses. So, you are getting a biased answer...

I will provide my biased answer:

I love my band!

I don't really "feel" it on a moment-by-moment basis. You can feel it when you are eating - but not really any other time, once the initial healing is done.

I am not sure what after-affects you are worried about - but I can tell you that even the most minor ones (the productive burp/PB) are extremely rare for me. I have had ONE PB in 14 months... and it was entirely my own fault.

Gas can be a problem - but it is less so over time. After over a year, I don't have any more gas than anybody else. My stomach makes more growlie noises - because I am not full from top to bottom with food anymore... so anytime food moves through the system, it makes noise.

There are potential risks - erosion, slippage, esaphogus problems - but those are very rare.

Perhaps the people around you are confusing the LapBand with a different type of surgery. The other options each come with it's own set of possible complications - all of them more severe than the standard band problems.

I have lost 44 lbs since my surgery date - with so little effort that it hardly bears mentioning. I have NOT been a gym nazi, a carb nazi or any other kind of nazi... I have just eaten mostly all that I wanted and occassionally made it to the gym.

Now, when I DO make the effort - eat low carb & exercise - I lose at a remarkably steady pace. Approx. 1/3rd pound per day.

So, with the band, you get a very low-risk surgery with low impact on daily life - and you get the loss in relation to the efforts that you make.

I love my band. I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

Hello,

This is my first time ever in a forum, but anyways I am planning on having the lapband done. I am getting doubts of having it done because the people around me are saying is not a good idea due to the after affects. I have some questions are the scars big scars and how does the lapband feel once inside? Please give me some advice with your experiences.

I'm almost 3 mos out and scars are shrinking, they are still visable, but not as big. I have 5 tiny incicions.

I forget I have the band until I look at my scars, I don't feel the band at all. Sometimes if I take too big of bite, its a little tight going thru and it reminds me, Oh yes, I have to take smaller bites. I love my band!

Hello,

My scars are very small incisions on my abdomen. The biggest one is probasbly 3/4 to 1" long where the port was placed. I cannot feel my port unless I lay down and try. I cannot feel the band at all. It just sound like you need to educate your family. Have you thought about taking them to the weight loss support group? Julie

I am getting my band in on April 16. 5 days to go and getting a little nervous. I have been reading the posts and wanted to say I am so glad I joined.

Thanks

You asked about scars... I have 4 incisions but only 3 scars as my Doctor went through my navel for one of the them.... Love it!

310/296/210

3/30/07... The Man, The Myth, The Legend... Dr Spivak