Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Yau or Dr. Cobourn/Mumford?

lol Don't you just love watching the tickers Susan! Way to go Andrew!

I have to agree with the Dr. situation in Alberta. It is nasty. I am also very lucky to have the family Dr. I do as he is no longer taking new patients. I have always felt blessed to have him as he has always been very good to all my family and I feel he really cares. That being said I know he also spends a lot of hours going between clinics, he works out of two. I listen to friends talk about there wait to see a Dr at a walk in and I am shocked at just how long it can and does take... and don't forget god forbid you should have to go to emergency! That is another nightmare.

It seems to be the way of the future at least the near future here. That is why I am going to Ontario for this procedure. When I heard the wait times I wanted to cry. It would be nice to be able to have it done in a clinic here but there just aren't any here like there, and with the way things are going ( I can't get a kitchen/bathroom reno done no way no how) I don't see one being built for some time to come. The price of land is insane too...lol

So I am fine with my choice to self pay and to have the fills done here and pay again for them. If I am in Ontario at some point and need a fill I know that I can go to see Dr. Cobourn and get it done free. Dr. Cobourn is also going to be doing the live cast of meetings there in the near futur. So the patients they do from out of province can be part of them.

All in all I think no matter who you choose Cat you will have to figure out your after care and decide based on the best you can arrange here. Unless you are planning to travel back for your fills.

-=lays a quarter on the table and winks=-

Ya Andrew....way to go on the ticker movement! You DO rock (although I am also a bit envious!! LOL). (but happy for you!).

You'll break into the 200s in no time!!!!!! :lol:

I actually lived in AB after being banded and I know Dr Yau has relationships with surgeons out there so the fills shouldn't be too bad. TLBC also has a DVD that can be used with your family doc to do fills.

Dr Yau is great at helping his patients out, I travel for my job a ton and anytime I tell him I am on the road he tells me who he knows in the areas I am going just in case I need something.

Good luck.

Hi Gaffer,

It would be great if you can share the information with me regarding reimbursement from Alberta Health Care. Thank you.

Gaffer rocks with the weight loss.. congrats

Cat, this is an oiler fan trapped in Calgary. I too had to make a choice last month. Both clinics are highly recommended but what sold me on TWLSC and Coburn/Mumford was a couple of things:

1. At the time of consultation Dr. Joffre was just announcing he was leaving the TLBC clinic and this raised an ebrow for me as they would not give me a reason why at that time. By threads I have seen has been all cleared up and Dr. Yau is highly recommended and recognized as a pioneer.

2. Follow up fills for out of province patients. I see lots of peeps have responded but the fact that there were trained people in Calgary to do fills (even at a cost) gave me a better feeling as my doctor was not too receptive in doing fills after viewing a training disc.

3. TWLSC is now in the new plastic surgery clinic with great op room, recovery room and close to a hospital and just important for me not downtown TO. Missisauga easy to get to from airport via rental or cab.

4. I went alone and stayed at the Heritage House recovery home for two nights where medical staff looked after me.

5. My consulation was done with Dr. Mumford and it was great talking to surgeon right off the get go.

6. Rose at TWLSC is awesome !!!

7. TWLSC uses Inamed bands FDA approved only vs TLBC using various types BUT also the Inamed band.

Whichever one you choose will be a good choice !!!

Your melting man just down the #2 highway.

CanadianMacDaddy.

Hi Gaffer,

It would be great if you can share the information with me regarding reimbursement from Alberta Health Care. Thank you.

When you go to have your surgery, ask the clinic for a detailed billing, broken down into how much each part cost. If they have OHIP Billing codes that is great, but not mandatory.

Have your surgeon fill out this form, you fill out the rest.

http://www.health.gov.ab.ca/ahcip/693.pdf

Take your detailed billing, the form, and your final paid invoice and fax it to 1-780-422-1958.

I got back $1036 and it took about 4 weeks to get it.

Andrew

7. TWLSC uses Inamed bands FDA approved only vs TLBC using various types BUT also the Inamed band.

CanadianMacDaddy.

....ahem...I would like to point out that ALL the bands TLBC uses are FDA approved in Canada. The difference is they use the band that best suits your body type...they aren't limited to just the one brand. I just wanted to clear that up as it sorta makes it sound like TLBC doesn't use approved bands....which, of course, is ridiculous.

I'd also like to say that anyone trained in giving fills can (& do) give fills regardless of where you have your surgery done. Maybe one or two don't, but the vast majority do. They don't care where you were banded.

Hello All,

Good News. I went to my alternate family physician (yes, in spite of the physician shortage, I manage to keep two family physicians) today to ask if she would do my post-op fills for me. She is supportive of my decision and has agreed to do my fills for me, so I am thrilled.

As for the bands, Dr. Yau's clinic confirmed that they can use all three types of band - Midband, Swedish, and Inamed. If you have a specific preference, they will accommodate your request. They did mention that they have experienced higher incidents of slippage with the Inamed band and thus have chosen not to use it regularly or exclusively but again, they will use it if you insist. They mentioned that Dr. Yau has NO vested interest and special partnership with any single band producer and as such will use the band that he thinks will work best for the shape and formation of your stomach.

In response to concerns regarding post-op fills for out-of-towners, Dr. Yau's clinic is actively working on a referral list of post-op fill physicians in some Canadian cities (they mentioned 3 in particular - Vancouver, Calgary, and Edmonton). I was informed that the list will be available very shortly.

I thank everyone again for his/her feedback. They are most helpful.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Thank you for posting that and clarifying Cat. I knew that (ie. about more issues with slippage with the inamed and about having no partnership with one company etc) but didn't want to post it because I didn't want to be seen as "dissing" one over another (ie. since I've already been banded). You've gotten lots of input and as I've already said both clinics are fine and you would do well with either one and after your consults, only you can make the decision that is right for you and your personal circumstances.

I just find it odd when folks state that Dr. C.'s clinic is the better choice because they "Only use Inamed bands" when it seems only logical to me that it may be better to go to a place that has access to and utilizes all bands and specifically chooses the one for your body once they are literally looking inside. (not to mention the problems you already alluded to with inamed in the first place....this is a real issue and it is readily avail in the recent research, as well).

Good luck with your other consult and with your journey!

Just for everyones knowledge, FDA approval means nothing in Canada it is Health Canada's approval that matters and no band can be installed in Canada without their approval. FDA is the USa.. and the J&J band is slated for FDA approval in the USA for Jan 2008 release. They pulled their design on testing last year because they were in the middle of a redesign and didn't want to have to go through the testing phase for the FDA trials twice. Dr Yau and I talked about this on my last fill appt.

....ahem...I would like to point out that ALL the bands TLBC uses are FDA approved in Canada. The difference is they use the band that best suits your body type...they aren't limited to just the one brand. I just wanted to clear that up as it sorta makes it sound like TLBC doesn't use approved bands....which, of course, is ridiculous.

I'd also like to say that anyone trained in giving fills can (& do) give fills regardless of where you have your surgery done. Maybe one or two don't, but the vast majority do. They don't care where you were banded.

ahem...Sorry Yoda I know you are the wise one... of course all the bands that the TLBC use are approved in Canada. HOWEVER I was referring to the Inamed band being currently the ONLY one approved by the FDA...that is south of us in the USA not Canada. But then again I am a virgin at this banding experience so please be genital... I mean gentle. Being approved in the USA was a big thing for me as there exposure has been longer and 10 times exponential. The good thing at TLBC is that you do have a choice of the Inamed or the European ones... I haven't seen many overweight Swedes or Nords in my travels there... but have seen some le gros fille in France.

Thanks for the correction though. FDA = Federal Drug Agency not Health Canada.

CanadianMacDaddy

Thank you for posting that and clarifying Cat. I knew that (ie. about more issues with slippage with the inamed and about having no partnership with one company etc) but didn't want to post it because I didn't want to be seen as "dissing" one over another (ie. since I've already been banded). You've gotten lots of input and as I've already said both clinics are fine and you would do well with either one and after your consults, only you can make the decision that is right for you and your personal circumstances.

I just find it odd when folks state that Dr. C.'s clinic is the better choice because they "Only use Inamed bands" when it seems only logical to me that it may be better to go to a place that has access to and utilizes all bands and specifically chooses the one for your body once they are literally looking inside. (not to mention the problems you already alluded to with inamed in the first place....this is a real issue and it is readily avail in the recent research, as well).

Good luck with your other consult and with your journey!

YoDah....Do a frankie... Relax... I haven't seen you this wound up since an american person posted on the canadian site. I think people have said both clinics are good...not sure I have seen anyone saying they choose Dr C's just because on Inamed (it certainly wasn't me)...TLBC uses them as well right!!! Plus we all know how the medical profession works right...its called kick backs...they push whatever medical device, pills, lubricant, etc... which helps their bottom line. In closing these are clinics not baseball teams... I do not have a favourite I choose as the reasons I stated and all will have to weigh their options. Like I said I looked at Mexico, New York and LA as well. The good thing to me is that the clinics in Canada are very reputable.

Good luck in your decision. Continue to talk with those who have had the Inamed vs Sweed vs Other...

CanadianMacDaddy

(feeling scolded but not reaching for the razor and warm bath)

I wasn't scolding! You would KNOW when I scold, as your butt would be tender! LOL.

Yeah, I knew "FDA" was US...I was only using CanMac's words...didn't know you were, in fact, referring to US...so I stand corrected on that point.

No, you didn't specifically say you chose Dr. C because of the Inamed but I was also referring to the previous threads that talked about TLBC using "knock-off" bands (silliness!) and so I didn't want any new people to get from your comment that may have insinuated the same (not that you did, but they may take it that way). I just wanted to be clear on that point since it was an issue on the other thread.

...and, I have always stressed that both clinics are equal...I've been very careful about that.

Rock on.....

*doing a Frankie*

I (not to mention the problems you already alluded to with inamed in the first place....this is a real issue and it is readily avail in the recent research, as well).

Yoda, I am not calling you out here, but I would not mind seeing that research just for my own information. Do you have any links?

Thanks,

Andrew