Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi All,

I've been lurking for a few weeks, and have been utterly grateful for the information that I have gotten through your shared experiences, so thought I should go ahead and introduce myself.

My name is Cara, I'm in Coppell, TX (near Dallas), and I'm going to be banded on 4/17. I've been trying to get approved for bariatric surgery for the past six years. This year, I decided it was going to happen no matter what, so I changed insurance from Aetna (fantastic coverage but they will NOT cover no matter what I do) to United HC (So-so coverage, but lots of approvals), and finally got approved.

I'm very excited and apprehensive at the same time. I've been up and down the scale my entire life. I thought I had it licked two years ago when, with the help of Adipex, I lost over 100 pounds. Needless to say, despite all of my rantings about how "I'll never be like that again!" the pill eventually stopped working, and most of the weight is back and I'm miserable.

Right now, it's all about my health-- I have Migraines, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Asthma, sleep Apnea-- I just want to feel good again, and I know that losing this weight will help. Not that I won't love going into a department store and not having to head to the plus sized section.

I am hoping to lose about 120 pounds, but I will be happy with anything over 60. My surgeon is Frank Felts at the Surgery Center of Richardson. I've been on my pre-op diet for a week (low fat, high protein) and though I am really tired of sweet shakes, I've already lost 10 pounds. That feels good!

A couple of questions, if anyone has bothered to read this far :-D

- Should I worry that I haven't met my surgeon yet? I've met his staff, his nurse practicioner, etc. but I don't think I'm scheduled to meet him until the morning of the surgery. I really like the place and the people and GOD KNOWS I don't want to wait anymore... but still, I thought I'd ask.

- I have a fantastic, wonderful, loving hubby, who is very supportive of me doing this. But lately, he's been making jokes about how I'm going to get "skinny" (HA!) and leave him. I think he might be a little insecure-- anyone else experienced that?

Wow, I've gone on and on. Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any ideas you can offer.

I don't know Dr. Felts - but I have nothing but good things to say about SCOR. It was AWESOME. I wouldn't worry too much about not having met him.

I have regular appts with Doc Fox since surgery - but I only met him once or twice prior to that. If you are worried about it - maybe you can catch him in an informational seminar, or schedule a meet prior to surgery.

Good Luck!

Thanks Rene, I'm glad to hear that. Overall, I have a really good feeling about everything, so I'm not going to let it hold me back. The staff over there has been a dream to work with.

Hi Cara! Welcome to band land. You'll have to tell us how your surgery goes. I'm sure it will be just fine. Hmmm.... why haven't you met your doctor? That's odd? So glad you got approved! Yippee!!!!

As for you hubby saying you're going to leave him when you get skinny... mine is saying the same thing. It must be an insecure thing. I keep telling my husband that I'm not leaving unless he's planning on having an affair and then not only will I leave him but I'll make his life hell. hee, hee

Hi Cara...congratulations on getting approved! I'm sure you are excited!

My husband says the same thing too...he is afraid that I'm going to get skinny and leave him. He said the same thing too when I graduated from nursing school...he said I was going to leave him for a doctor (if he only knew them like I do, he'd know for sure I wouldn't date a doctor!) I agree that it is about insecurities. I wouldn't leave my husband, it took me too long to get him trained right!! (just kidding!)

Laureli - you are too funny! But I agree! Why would we leave? It's taken way too long to train them and now they think that by us losing weight we're going to leave? Seriously? HA!

BTW - good luck on getting approved. Let us know when you do!

I would fee a little weird not meeting my surgeon until the day of the surgery. Is there any way you can make an appointment to meet him prior. As far as my husband saying that I'll leave him, it is more comments about me feeling too good about myself and wanted too much plastic surgery. In any case, congrats on getting banded. I love my band. Julie

Thanks all, glad to hear I'm not the only one with a crazy hubby. And you're right-- I've taken 11 years getting him all broken-in, so there's no way I'd leave that investment behind :D

And I'm going to call today to make sure that I am going to meet my doctor during the pre-op.

I have dr felts to and was thinking it was weird that we have not met. But my wife(who is also to be banded) said he goes all over the place.

we are in Houston and sound like you guys are in Dallas. So maybe it will all work out.