Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

21/2 years out and developed violent bowel problems

Hi, Haven't posted in a while because everything was great until about one month ago. Had my sleeve just before my 68th birthday. So now I have these episodes where I begin to feel nauseated, clammy and heart beating fast. Then I push to move my bowels and saliva starts flowing involuntarily. Feel like I will die. I think a nerve must be pressed when I push down. Now I am getting anxious just thinking about having a bowel movement. I have started taking Miralax to move things along but don't want to be dependent on that. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Please give me any thoughts you might have. Thanks.

Monty, I would talk to your doctor about this soon. It doesn't sound normal by any stretch of the imagination and could be a warning sign of something serious.

Best wishes,

JG

everything was great until about a month ago - now I have episodes where I begin to feel nauseated, clammy and heart beating fast.

@@Monty

i agree with @@NMJG

call your doc sooner than later :blink:

at this late point, if all has been great - this is "possibly" unfortunately a "regular" unfortunate health issue

if you see your regular doc, and he suggests you see your surgeon - there you go!!!!

this of course is my comment - no doc here

happy retiree :)

hoping doc helps your situation sooner than later

and you will be back to your normal self :)

feel better

good luck :)

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

Prior to surgery, I had similar experiences, and my GI doc diagnosed me with IBD. It would be exacerbated by certain foods, and any time I ate anything especially greasy or fatty, I would have the exact symptoms you describe. They are awful! The doc offered meds for the IBD, but I opted to monitor diet alone instead, and found relief by avoiding really fatty things (although healthy fats were fine and didn't cause a reaction). I have pain when I eat gluten-filled things (both pre-op and post-op), and now post-op, I think the whey Protein is causing gas and bloating and some of those IBD symptoms on a much more manageable scale. (Eliminating Protein Drinks for a while to be sure.)

Some people experience symptoms like this when their gallbladder is petering out. My gallbladder was removed almost 20 years ago, but maybe this could be the case for you? I'd call both your surgeon and your PCP for medical advice.

Sounds like the symptoms of late dumping syndrome. Feel better!!

I agree honeybunz. Sounds like dumping. Hope you get to feeling better.

I agree with all of you smart people. I am seeing my doctor tomorrow. When I mentioned dumping to my surgeon he said it was highly unlikely that I had dumping syndrome since I had the sleeve. Early on I had the exact symptoms described for dumping but didn't want to disagree with him. Those symptoms, however, would come on almost immediately after I ate and not later when I went to the bathroom. I soon learned to avoid those trigger foods. I have wondered, however, if it could be gluten related.

Thanks for your input. It always helps to have the support and other ideas.