Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleep Study DONE- results are not clear cut!

had my sleep study last night and am pretty much DONE with pre-op stuff!

I don't sleep well away from home so I was geared up and they could tell. the bed/room was very comfy and a great tv but I didn't fall asleep for almost an hour compared to just barely hitting the pillow at home!

I DID hit REM sleep for a few hours so at least I feel rested. The rule that is followed by the Doc at this sleep center is an AVERAGE of 5 apneas per hour qualifies you for CPAP. I averaged 2.3 an hour EXCEPT when in REM and then I had 15 per hour.

But, the respiratory therapist who was with me during the test told me this morning that this is a textbook "I need to lose weight" type of sleep apnea, and not true long-term apnea. He said that it is a coin toss whether I need the CPAP or not.

In any case, the Neuro/Sleep Doc will read it and I see my surgeon next week and we will decide. Hopefully they will let me waive it and I can keep moving forward.

All in all it wasn't SO bad but i'm hopeful I won't have to do it again!!

Hiya…i just had a partial sleep apnea test done…now am waiting for the machine to be delivered to my home…i have it for one night…good luck

Even if it is just weight related or mild, if the doctor suggest that you get the machine, GET IT!!! I LOVE my little machine. It has completely changed how well I sleep and I FINALLY feel rested! I'm hoping I can go off the machine once I lose weight, but apnea is very serious and you shouldn't have to suffer with it.

I thankfully did not have to sleep at the center. I wore this thing around my head for 3 nights that recorded everything. It was so much better than sleeping away from your home. I think you can get a much better reading while in your own bed... just my opinion. Good luck !

For several years prior to surgery, I would snore so loud that it would keep my wife awake at night. When I went through my second round of pre-op testing, they scheduled me to see a doctor that specializes in sleep apnea. After examining me, he believed that I did have this condition and wished for me to undergo sleep testing. I declined. I reasoned with him that since I am about to undergo bariatric surgery and since surgery can correct this problem, I thought is was not money well spent. He signed off on my surgery. About 2 weeks after surgery, my snoring went away. I sleep so quietly at night that it frightens my wife. She wakes up in the middle of the night and can't hear me breathing and thinks I am dead. I am 11 months post-op now and this snoring problem has been in remission during this whole time.

no worries, if the doc says I need it, I WILL wear it and gratefully so! I'm a nurse and I take diagnoses very seriously. I am also pretty confident that my surgery will eliminate it fully, but until then if I need the CPAP i'll take it and do what it takes. I guess i'm just hoping for a quick move towards surgery and no hang ups.

no worries, if the doc says I need it, I WILL wear it and gratefully so! I'm a nurse and I take diagnoses very seriously. I am also pretty confident that my surgery will eliminate it fully, but until then if I need the CPAP i'll take it and do what it takes. I guess i'm just hoping for a quick move towards surgery and no hang ups.

Mine cpap just set me back 30 days. Surgeon require I be 30 days conplaince . 6 more to go

I've had my CPAP about a year now and I haven't missed a single night -- THAT's how much it helps me! My sleep doctor gave me a weight goal and said when I reach that and maintain or go below it for a while, she will redo the study to see if I still need the machine.

Sorry if it messed up your surgery schedule.

My respiratory doctor confirms my asthma issues and that I'm morbid obese. My sleep study also showed the same where I was borderline in one but also,in REM came out well over 15. For that reason he placed me on one. My C Pap is quiet and I sleep ok except for my asthma issues that wake me with coughing fits. I hope that my weight loss will help all my upper respiratory issues not just sleep apnea.