Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is there any military spouses here that has had a lap band done? and If so how good was tri care about covering It

I am a military spouse and have recently been told that TriCare Prime will not pay for it.

I was also told by one of the doctors in the family health clinic that I should switch to tricare standard and that I could/should be able to get it that way. My co-pays would be higher but 2000.00 vs. 10000.00 is a very different payment.. I dont know if this is true or not as I never looked into the possibility, I am trying to get thru all the co-morbidity tests first (including the sleep study) before I go thru with all the switching and such.

I dont know anything about the needing to have two co-morbidities to qualify for any of the WLS, as my surgeon on base just that I need to have at least one...

Also, do you know if you DO qualify for WLS thru the military (most wanting to do the bypass), that there are some doctors in the military who do the LapBand procedure?? I am in Florida, and the closest to me would be Walter Reed, -which is scary in light of the trouble they have had lately- but I figure by the time I qualify and get up there, things should have drastically changed being that they are under a microscope now... You will need a referal from your family practice doc to go, and they might make you buy your own ticket, or they could let you fly Space A (is it still called that?)... It would be something you would have to discuss with your PCM.. But this is certainly something to think about and help you get started on your way. Most importanly get all your tests going now, so that you know what you are working with. (high blood pressure, sleep apnea and the like...)

If you havve any more questions I would be happy to help you more, You can send me a private pm if you like or thru this thread...

hi all military spouses, i am stationed overseas in germany right now but would love to know how things are going with your lapband journey, i to am starting the journey myself. So feel free to pm or come to insurance/financing and go to overseas military spouses, i started that thread, but you dont' have to be overseas to stop in, i was just looking for wives in my area. love to hear from you... good luck

I am the spouse of a military disabled man. I had the band done with ChampVa. I am very happy to hear that military spouses will be able to get it soon as well.

I only regret not getting it sooner. Good luck to all of you!

I am TRI-West Prime, and it is covered through tricare. But since the hospital near me does the Lap Band and Bypass I can't get a referal out (I wish I could but...) I have to go through the process with the hospital here.

It is a pain in the arse but it is slowly moving along. I go to my mental wellness check monday then back to the coordinator and then off to the surgeons office!!

Hi there,

I am Tricare Prime with a BMI of 33 and no co-morbidities and Tricare wouldn't even look at me. So, as of Mon, March 24th I am going down to Mexico to have my lap band placed for $7500 by the number one lap band physician on the continent. I have heard nothing but good reports from people who have been down there...I'm hoping I can add to those good reports.

Kari

Tricare does cover lapband, it is a fact, I called the head office and as of Jan 25, 2008 all systems should be updated, prime and all others.

I'm the wife of an AF retiree, and we have Tricare Prime. (Triwest). I've seen my PCM for a referal to the surgeon, been to the info seminar and submitted all my pre-authorization paperwork. The bariatric dept isn't expecting any problems with Triwest.

Now all I have to worry about is that I don't have any co-morbidities (not that I want any!) and I've lost nearly 15lbs recently (Oh sure - now my body decided to have a total mystery weight loss - I haven't changed a thing). I just want to be sure I'm still over the 200% thing so there's no problem with the approval. I may go to the surgeon's office with my pockets full of quarters or diving weights and drink about a couple of liters of Water before I get on the scale! ;-)

Always ;-)

Hunzi

I am the spouse of a military disabled man. I had the band done with ChampVa. I am very happy to hear that military spouses will be able to get it soon as well.

I only regret not getting it sooner. Good luck to all of you!

Looking for someone who has been banded using CHAMPVA. Can you tell me where to start with CHAMPVA and how much of the expenses they covered?