Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please!! I need help with this!!

I have posted 2 other times about port infections but no one has answered me!! Surely someone has had or heard of this problem.

I have an infection on the port incision which I got about 2 weeks out. It started the day after the nurse took the strips off. It got very sore and angry red, hot to the touch. It was about 1 inch around the whole incision. I went back to the doctor and he cut open the edge to cut a stitch that was poking out. I am finishing my third antibiotic. I think it is looking better but still sore and red.. I KNOW I did not do this to myself because I was very careful to keep everything clean.

I asked my doctor what caused this and he kinda hummed around with no answer. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what caused this? Thanks...

I have posted 2 other times about port infections but no one has answered me!! Surely someone has had or heard of this problem.

I have an infection on the port incision which I got about 2 weeks out. It started the day after the nurse took the strips off. It got very sore and angry red, hot to the touch. It was about 1 inch around the whole incision. I went back to the doctor and he cut open the edge to cut a stitch that was poking out. I am finishing my third antibiotic. I think it is looking better but still sore and red.. I KNOW I did not do this to myself because I was very careful to keep everything clean.

I asked my doctor what caused this and he kinda hummed around with no answer. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what caused this? Thanks...

I'm not an expert on port infections but Fay (username MrsD) has just had to have her band removed due to MRSA infection in her port. Why don't you send her a pm; she's really nice and friendly and will be able to advise you more than me!

Best of luck with clearing the infection!

Scarlett, If you have been on your antibiotics more that 48 hrs and still see no improvment, I would call my Dr. again. This has to get under controll. The cause of the infection is not as important as the fact that it must be eliminated. Pointing to the cause wont help anything as there are no clear cut reasons other than bad bacteria got a foothold there. We have bad bacteria in our bodies at all times, its just that when our imune system is strong, it can usually handle them. Surgery puts a major strain on our bodies and the bad bacteria can get a leg up as it were when we are in recovery.

Ask your Dr if you should do anything else besides taking your antibiotics. Would hot compresses help or harm? How about cold to eliminate swelling? He should be the only source to take advice from, as he is the responsible person to lead you out of this. Please stay on top of this, and keep us posted to your progress, we really want to see you get better, I know this would be really scary to me, and you need to put your energy into getting better. Take care, drink lots of Water and keep your Dr very informed. Dont feel like you would be a pest or that you should not keep bothering him. You need to keep bothering him till you are in the clear! Keep us posted ok? I want to hear that you are all better and on your way to total body health.

Scarlett, If you have been on your antibiotics more that 48 hrs and still see no improvment, I would call my Dr. again. This has to get under controll. The cause of the infection is not as important as the fact that it must be eliminated. Pointing to the cause wont help anything as there are no clear cut reasons other than bad bacteria got a foothold there. We have bad bacteria in our bodies at all times, its just that when our imune system is strong, it can usually handle them. Surgery puts a major strain on our bodies and the bad bacteria can get a leg up as it were when we are in recovery.

Ask your Dr if you should do anything else besides taking your antibiotics. Would hot compresses help or harm? How about cold to eliminate swelling? He should be the only source to take advice from, as he is the responsible person to lead you out of this. Please stay on top of this, and keep us posted to your progress, we really want to see you get better, I know this would be really scary to me, and you need to put your energy into getting better. Take care, drink lots of Water and keep your Dr very informed. Dont feel like you would be a pest or that you should not keep bothering him. You need to keep bothering him till you are in the clear! Keep us posted ok? I want to hear that you are all better and on your way to total body health.

Thanks so much for your responce!! This is what I am doing keeping a handle on the problem. I go again next week for a follow up. Guess I just thought with all of these bands in this site maybe someone else might have run into this. Thanks for the time to respond!!:)