Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wisdom of your experience...

Hello everyone,

I’ve been considering gastric banding for sometime (I currently weigh 234lbs and my BMI is 38), however, I haven’t taken this any further than carrying out research on the internet. Although, thanks to my participation in a self-help group, my weight has been stable for the last three years and I have been abstaining from my old ‘binge’ foods of cakes, chocolate, sweets etc for a similar length of time but, while this is a vast improvement, I just can’t seem to under-eat (which let’s face it is what you have to do) sufficiently in order to lose weight. My self-help group friends are very ‘anti’ any sort of surgical options, however, I really feel that it is the only answer – I am sick and tired of living (or rather not living) my life like this. My big concern, apart from the surgery itself, is whether I would be able to follow a restricted / reduced diet following surgery – I can’t help thinking that if I were able to do that I wouldn’t be obese in the first place! Therefore, I’d be interested to know how those of you who have had surgery dealt with this. Many thanks to you all for your assistance,

Randi :(

For myself I was a excellent "dieter". I would toe the line and be very successful if you consider taking it off successful. BUT I would go to hell in a hand basket when I stopped my diet. From age 14 to 47 I would yoyo.

I was tired and just wanted it off. I knew I would feel better and all those pills I took for diabetes (shots too) , cholesterol , high blood pressure would stop taking a bite of my income.

I knew I just wasn't one of those people who could stay on a plan of healthy eating without a tool. My band is my tool.

Good luck on your decision,

edie

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts - lots to think about! I particularly take on board the points made about the band being a tool to assist in training oneself to eat normally, rather than being a 'quick fix' solution, which is what I've been worried I was looking for, again. I suppose one of my issues is that, having battled with over eating for more than 20 years, I have trouble believing that I could ever be capable of being a normal eater and therefore achieve a healthy weight (or, perhaps, deserve to) but it is inspiring to read of other people's success on this site. I appreciate the time you've taken to share your experiences. Best wishes,

Randi :)

You've made a lot of interesting points.

re: " I just can’t seem to under-eat (which let’s face it is what you have to do) sufficiently in order to lose weight. " You have it a little backwards here. We have all learned how to 'overeat' and have little concept of 'normo-eating' .

I played those 'what-if' games that delayed my own decision to take action far too long.

I am pleased that I have no feelings of 'under eating' or deprivation.

I no longer seek 'fullness' having discovered a true gift of the body-something I lacked totally in my pre-Band twilight....the beautiful sensation of SATIETY.....

and those old favorites that really did NOTHING to satisfy hunger but DID puff up my BMI to 47.5....have revealed themselves to be the equivalent of Harpies on the hostile shores of my Ulyssean voyage...

What we can do expect is to learn that each daily decision we make to bend our elbow and stuff something in our mouth not related to actual physical hunger, contributes to all those struggles and miseries we strive to avoid. The Band introduces a restriction that slows down our eating pace and limits the volume of our meals.

Those fortunate to also reap the benefits of altered awareness that eating not producing satiety is not hunger but something else, seem to be more successful with less stress and frustration.

It is possible to eat around the Band. That behavior is not a physical hunger but something else.

And your concept of 'restricted diet' is not really what happens in the later recovery phases. Most of us can eat almost of anything we choose.....it's the QUANTITY that is markedly different...and not because we are 'dieting' but because we are eating not to 'fullness' but to 'satiety'....

I am learning a new skill: Eat when hungry; STOP when NOT hungry. It's a whole new life. No under eating. No dieting. The sad reality is some seem bent on continuing to slurp down high calorie non-foods and are stuck in the 'I'm HUNGRY' model, when they are doing the nutritional equivalent of pouring kerosine on hot coals to put them out....

If you can train yourself to achieve what you already have done, perhaps with closer attention you can manage further benefits to your health without surgery. Habits are hard to change. Good luck.

Are you like an author or sumfin???... an English major in college???......able to leap tall buildings in a single bound?? Your responses are always so well thought out and articulated and inspirational to read. Keep 'em coming!!!

Randi, the thing I like most about being banded is the restriction. I know longer crave "bad" foods and when I do eat I eat a little quantity. That is what I love most. Good luck in your journey. Julie