Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Want to hear from those over 65

I have a friend, actually shes a friend of the family that keeps asking me about how I'm losing weight. She is about 150 lbs overweight and I want so bad to talk to her and fill her in but, I haven't shared my news with my husbands side of the family and don't really want them to know. But, I feel I should fill her in on her options. I could see when I visited with her the other day that she is so down about herself. I was wondering how many people over 65 have had this surgery and how you fared with it. Also, does medicare pay for it?

No sure if I count on this one? I had my surgery when I was 64 and BCBS paid for it. It works for me but I've been thinking lately that recommending the band might not be a wise choice unless the patient was cognizant of the difficulties and aware of how losing weight works.

So many obese people do not understand the math behind calories burned and calories consumed and how exercise can make a big difference? So many are so driven by their addiction or security blanket that they can't give up old eating habits.

Of course, much depends on the awareness of the patient but I would recommend the sleeve over the band if the patient seemed at all like she might not be the type of person who could control her cravings? jmo

tmf

I relate. I might have gone for the sleeve had I known more about it. Don't get me wrong, I love my band, I've done well, but looking at the problems here, I probably would have more peace of mind. I just have to remind myself that there's lots out there that don't follow the rules or Have eating habits they can't change

I was Banded at age 59, now in 10th year postOp. Yes it works. Yes it's a difficult journey. Yes I'd do it again.

and Yes, I am STILL not at 'goal'.

Yes, quality of my life is MARKEDLY improved no longer being 'Morbidly Obese'....merely 'Obese'.

Still, a remarkable improvement considering a variety of factors I do not share on line.

had my lapband last year at age 66, I am happy for the most part . I still think the band was the best choice for me. I did not want to have a large part of my stomach removed or re-routed at my age It is not the easy way to lose weight and it's a constant learning experience and reminder to eat slowly and small bites but the reward has been to get off of all of meds for diabetes, cholesterol and high blood pressure. I had medicare and BC and my surgery was paid for. I think if your BMI is below 40 you can still qualify for the surgery if you have other health issues . the surgeon's office will be able to tell you more about insurance than I can. I have a new lease on life and hope to continue without complications.

Thanks guys. I did in fact talk to her for while tonight and the decision is hers. I know shes giving it some serious thought, I've even told her about this site so she may be on to ask questions. We discussed all of the WLSs not just the band.

I have a friend, actually shes a friend of the family that keeps asking me about how I'm losing weight. She is about 150 lbs overweight and I want so bad to talk to her and fill her in but, I haven't shared my news with my husbands side of the family and don't really want them to know. But, I feel I should fill her in on her options. I could see when I visited with her the other day that she is so down about herself. I was wondering how many people over 65 have had this surgery and how you fared with it. Also, does medicare pay for it?

I was a little younger. I had the band at almost 62. The best thing I did for ME!! I have Medicaid They paid 100% and no questions asked. I went to a big Boston hospital and they knew what to do. Good luck.