Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mexico Bariatric Center - Dr. Lopez Day 1

Hi everyone! I thought I would do a day by day review of my experience in Tijuana through Mexico Bariatric. Everyday I'll do a recap with pictures =) I thought it would be very helpful for people.

Background- surgery scheduled with Dr. Lopez on April 8th and traveling with my husband.

Yesterday we arrived in San Diego and immediately called Victor our driver. Victor is a bit difficult to understand on the phone, but he is aware of this and very patient with repeating himself. Our plane arrived early, so we had to wait maybe 15 min. Victor is extremely friendly and knowledgeable about the area of San Diego and Tijuana- if there is extra time he will even stop along the way and show you some of the tourist attractions. We tipped Victor $10 and then $2 for the guy who carried our bags up to our rooms at the hotel.

Once we got to the hotel, Tatiana (who is the coordinator for Dr. Lopez I think) greeted us at the lobby. She gave us information about the next day, hospital forms, and we checked into our rooms. The hotel is beautiful, the swimming pool is great and there is even a jacuzzi! My husband and I tried out both yesterday.

post-207103-0-70928200-1396963155_thumb.jpg

post-207103-0-01269000-1396963243_thumb.jpg

post-207103-0-07105400-1396963621_thumb.jpg

post-207103-0-36758000-1396964408_thumb.jpg

As for food... for your companion- I suggest straying outside the hotel for more authentic, cheaper food. Right after we arrived, we went to a restaurant down the street. You can't miss it, it's shaped like a giant sombrero. There are a few people there that speak English and my husband thought his meal was amazing... not going to lie... I licked a piece of his chorizo lol. They even have broth available- it was a bit too salty, but not bad! Total with tip was $17. Also, next door is a little shop that sells drinks and snacks- much cheaper than the hotel. Patients get free broth/ ice pops/ Water at the hotel, but for our companions go here to save money. Or anywhere else outside the hotel. We bought four bottles of Water for $1.60.

post-207103-0-43039500-1396963330_thumb.jpg

This morning we are meeting Tatiana in the hotel lobby to head to the hospital... I'm getting nervous about surgery. Look for the next post about day two!! So far though, we think everything has been wonderful. Very professional and organized =)

Sorry for the delay with the pictures- the wifi here is good, but not great. Also, feel free to ask any questions!

Edited by vsg_joanna

I realize I posted this three times... phone messed up! I already reported the two newer posts to be deleted.

Hi Joanna! I will be there Friday. Please keep me posted. I'm so excited. This is not my first surgery in Mexico. The first time I was treated like royalty. Have heard nothing but good stuff about Lopez. Thanks for the details and the pics!

I'm happy for you, Joanna; Good luck! I'll be reading your posts and I'm wishing you all the best!

I am here in Tijuana too! My surgery was with Dr. Lopez on Monday, the 7th. I'm back in the hotel today, feeling great! Good luck to you!