Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mexico and the LapBand

Hi, have any of you gone to Mexico to get their surgery? If so, are there any particular procedures that you had to follow? Do you fly directly to Mexico or to the States than drive? I am considering this option because of the related costs... I was quoted for surgery in Canada and it's half the amount in Mexico... I hear it's safe and very clean and that the staff there is fabulous (not that I dont think it's the same here...)

I don't know what province/city you are in, but if you are going out of country for your surgery, be DANG sure you have all the necessary aftercare set up (before your surgery)...otherwise you risk running into great difficulty and making the "saving money" a moot point.

It's a personal choice, of course...but price shouldn't be the only (let alone the main thing) you consider.

Ditto what Yoda said, make sure you have someone in place that is willing to do the fills for you.

You both have a point... that I had not thought of:confused: This the exact reason I came here to start with... Find people with experience and insight on what to do or what not to do... Thank you!!

Hi Seaangel. I had my banding done in Mexico and it cost me about $7500 Canadian which includes the flights.

I'm in BC and I had arranged to get my fills over the border in Washington state, however after I returned from Mexico I found someone here who was willing to do fills on patients banded in Mexico.

I got my surgery done in Tijuana. I flew to San Diego and was picked up by the clinic at the airport.

I talked to the Dr., fairly extensively, on two occasions before I went down.

I chose to stay an extra day, just for my own piece of mind.

Good luck with your decision.

:lol: Hi Devana, Thanks for the reply...

I am really thinking of getting my surgery in Mexico, the only glitch I find is that around here there is'nt really anywhere that is nearby for fills... Closest I've found so far is in Toronto (about 7 hours away) not sure if anyone does fills in Montreal or not. It's the same for surgery, all I could find were in Toronto, none in this province. Did you pay all the fees yourself or could you get some financial aid. We applied for medical credit and are waiting on an answer. The only thing I am not sure about is if it applies for out of the country also?? Probably not but anywho...

Was your experience with Mexico something you would do again? Which Dr. did you see? if you don't mind me asking.

Well thanks again

Seaangel, I saw Dr Huacuz. I went down with my friend Jane and we were banded together. She was low BMI and is already at her goal weight and looking really good. Yes, I am satisfied with my experience, and I certainly will go out of country for any future PS that I'll surely need once I get to goal.

I looked into all the credit stuff and was actually approved for a loan for the procedure in Canada, however, there was nobody that would give that type of loan for a Canadian getting it done in another country. I checked them all.

What I did was take out a new low interest credit card and put it on that. It's almost paid off, thank goodness.

As far as your fills go, I'll bet you could find someone over the border to do it. There are fill centres and possibly other Dr's who may do it. Go hang out in the US threads and the fill threads for awhile.

seaangel: 7 hrs from TO really isn't that bad (compared to others who are like, 2 days away or more - driving time!). If you would go to TO for fills, you are better off just getting your surgery done in TO.

Many people have had good experiences going to Mexico. I would say that probably more than half the people who pay for the surgery without insurance do go to Mexico. But in fairness it must be said that circumstances have changed to some degree over the last couple years. Mexico used to be about half the cost or less compared to any U.S. option. These days there are a number of U.S. doctors (including mine, web site below in signature) who do the surgery for just a little more than the Mexican doctors. With that in mind, it is starting to make less sense to go to Mexico for the surgery, even though there are a number of truly excellent Mexican doctors. Some people really have trouble finding aftercare when they have had surgery in Mexico. This can be a huge problem. All of this should be carefully considered when making your decision.

Hey Mark,

Thanks for the input... being on this forum definately gives one somtething to pause and think about. Interesting to know that surgery is also less costly in the USA. I would prefer to get surgery in US than in Mexico. The most important to me is proper care, clean hygenic facilities, competent staff and my safety. The cost is only a drop in the vase at this point. However I do have four children to think of so... Mark is that a kitty or a boston terrier in your avatar? I am curious because I own a Boston. I will be looking into the website you refered me to.

Thanks again

Hey Mark,

Thanks for the input... being on this forum definately gives one somtething to pause and think about. Interesting to know that surgery is also less costly in the USA. I would prefer to get surgery in US than in Mexico. The most important to me is proper care, clean hygenic facilities, competent staff and my safety. The cost is only a drop in the vase at this point. However I do have four children to think of so... Mark is that a kitty or a boston terrier in your avatar? I am curious because I own a Boston. I will be looking into the website you refered me to.

Thanks again

That's Daisy the Boston Terrier, thanks for asking. She's about a year and a half now. We also have a Beagle named Boris and various other assorted quadrupeds. Without a doubt, Daisy rules the house. She's is endlessly entertaining, and has more personality then any dog I've had before. But the most amazing thing about Daisy is that she views herself as Number One in any situation, whether it is at home or at the dog park surrounded by dogs five times her size. She acts like the reincarnation of Cleopatra no matter what she is doing. It's quite a spectacle.

Regarding Mexico, I just have to say that I don't think the issue is hygiene or safety or competence. From what I hear some of the Mexican doctors are tops in the world on this lap band, and people say they've never seen a cleaner facility. The issue with going to Mexico is just a matter of aftercare. For some reason, people sometimes run into trouble finding doctors who will care for them in the U.S. if they have had the surgery in Mexico. I doubt that there is a good reason for this, but that is how it is for some people. So, as others have said, Mexico can be a good choice, but make sure you've got the aftercare lined up here before you go.

But of course, for myself personally, I like Dr. Kirshenbaum. If you want more information on him there is an active thread right now called "Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum." There is a lot of information there, and people to answer questions.

Good luck getting it sorted out. Now, if you'll excuse me, Daisy is ready for her pedicure.